March Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.4
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Amazing Place to Work"

Current Employee - Intern in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Intern in Boston, MA

I have been working at March Communications part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Great atmosphere in the office - everyone is very friendly, even the CEOs takes time to have drinks with the employees after hour every week.
    2. The office provide amazing experience for interns. The interns do the same type of work as ACs.

Cons

The work gets interesting very often and you could be diving into the work and staying late without realizing it.

2. "Great company for growing fast and exploring other interests"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at March Communications (More than a year)

Pros

March gives people of all levels very high visibility with the amazing CEOs as well as the very smart, open and inspirational management team. Overall the culture is friendly and fun. There is a good amount of vacation days (15 to start plus a "duvet day"), flex time (you can work from 7:30am - 4pm if you're a morning person, 9:30 - 6 if you're not, or anything in between!) and working from home perks. Employees also have the freedom and flexibility to apply other interests to the company. If you want to explore photography, you can actually work for one of the clients. Videography, writing, design research - you name it and March will support you.

Cons

The clients can be too technical, which certainly make you feel challenged and intelligent but it may not appeal to the consumer PR-inclined person. You are forced to read a lot about tech, which does touch consumer issues quite a bit, but, depending on the client, those consumer issues may not be something you are concerned with on a regular basis. The hires need to be more strategic - there need to be more tech-inclined folks who are strong writers from the get-go, as writing is the only prerequisite necessary for PR. March can be too quick to promote some people and cause unrest.

Advice to Management

More lower-level individuals would take a lot of burden off people as they move up and also create a strong camaraderie and culture. It would also allow for promotions of truly strong individuals into mid-management positions. Those in mid-management are critical to maintaining a positive culture, as they interface with the most people on a day-to-day basis. It may be worth setting up a booth at prestigious colleges around graduation time to get fresh talent.

Aug 7, 2016 – Managing Director

Thank you for your review and kind words. Your advice around hiring more technically minded young professionals is something we've been focusing on recently. If you know anyone we are hiring entry... More

"Great People, Constructive Environment"

Pros

March was my first job out of college and it was a great introduction to the working world. Martin and Cheryl did a fabulous job creating a positive "family" style environment - I loved my colleagues and I learned a ton on the job. Working in a small agency, I got to wear many hats. I was at March for three years and left to pursue something different - nothing to do with the company or the people.

Cons

Like any agency, life at March was fast paced and at times stressful. That's not a reflection of March specifically - it's a fact of life in the agency world.

Oct 29, 2015 – Managing Director

Thank you for your review and comments. Our aim is to continue to help employees grow and become well rounded PR and communications professionals. I hope you are enjoying your new career.

"Great growth opportunities, great culture"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

> March is what you make of it - if you're passionate about reading, writing, and talking about technology, then you're going to like the job. Senior management is great at listening to feedback and will work with you to shape your job there.

> There's little-to-no micromanagement and everyone is open to new ideas. If you have a great idea to help promote a client's story, people will listen

> Culture is AWESOME. Lots of after-work drinks, games of pool, and other activities. Summer outings are always unforgettable, whether you're canoeing the Charles or going to an amusement park.

> You will gain a ton of experience and skills doing marketing and PR in one of the fastest-growing areas of technology.

> Management will allow you the freedom to explore and experiment with pitch angles, different content formats, channels, etc. which really is pretty rare in most agency settings.

Cons

> Steep learning curve - if you're not ready to dig really deep into the B2B tech scene, you're going to have a hard time

Aug 16, 2015 – Managing Director

Thank you for your feedback. You're right about B2B tech. It's certainly challenging, and that is what most of us love about it. I am really glad to hear that your ideas were heard and that you... More

"Great Experience at March!"

Pros

The culture at March is awesome. From the get-go everyone was extremely welcoming and helpful. I was provided helpful feedback and felt like I could ask anyone questions. Also, there are a lot of opportunities to get together with coworkers and socialize. Overall, it is a very bright and ambitious team. Workwise, I was able to get a ton of experience trying different projects. I learned a lot and enjoyed that instead of training, I learned through actually doing.

Cons

Definitely a fast-paced and intense environment, which I like but others might have more of a problem with. If you are willing to work hard it is a good fit.

Aug 16, 2015 – Managing Director

Thank you for your review. I am pleased your experience was positive and that you got valuable on-the-job training. We are a great fit for those who understand and like a fast-paced agency. We also... More

6. "Supportive, Flexible and Rewarding"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at March Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

March is an extremely supportive, friendly environment that truly embodies the 'work hard, play hard' mentality. As a pure technology PR firm, the work is a welcome challenge that keeps you constantly learning and feeling rewarded. There's never a dull moment and each day is different.

March listens to its employees and, if you show a desire or aptitude, there's the opportunity to get involved in corporate initiatives or other types of clients, technology or services. All you have to do is ask and you'll always be heard! It's a place that helps you grow, not just in a job, but in a career with the necessary skills for success in any corporate environment.

The company also adapts as the industry changes, incorporating additional marketing, digital or social services as clients and market landscapes evolve. It's refreshing to see such a flexible agency that can respond equally to employee and industry needs.

Cons

The agency has grown quickly and, as is to be expected, had some growing pains. Figuring out the balance between the three office locations and getting more established training and HR programs in place took some time and still needs work, but is on the right track and every employee is offered the chance to contribute feedback.

It's a very fast-paced environment that requires good multi-tasking, writing and communication abilities - which isn't really a con, it's part and parcel of any PR firm, but may not be for everyone.

Aug 16, 2015 – Managing Director

One of the reasons we set up March was to create an agency where people could build their careers and experiment with new services and creative ways to evolve communications. Your feedback is really... More

"Nurturing agency with room for growth"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Boston, MA

Pros

I started as an intern at March Communications, and loved that the culture is very nurturing of junior staff. I was working with senior employees and the company's owners from day 1, and was given a lot of responsibility very quickly, offering me many opportunities to grow and learn as a PR professional. I felt very invested in, and worked closely with VPs, SVPs and owners, down to interns and entry-level employees, every day. The open layout of the office encourages employees to get to know one another regardless of level, and I think that most take advantage of that - there was always lots of chatting and laughing heard throughout the office.

In many ways, I believe that you get out of March what you put in. For the employee that truly want to dive in and embrace all that March has to offer, putting their own stamp on how the company operates, this is a wonderful place. There is plenty of room for individuals to inspire change, start or change internal programs, and pioneer new best practices for client services. For those who want to show up at a job and do what they're told, this isn't the place for you...

Other pros include:
    - Wonderful owners who personally invest in and want to get to know their employees
    - Great office location in Boston, right on the Charles and a block from the North End
    - Many opportunities for international travel
    - Frequent internal training programs, for everything from managing others to conflict resolution
    - Great benefits / bonus offerings, awesome vacation package and summer/holiday outings

Cons

B2B tech isn't for everyone. I happened to grasp the technology, but it can be challenging for many people because it is so niche.

Similarly, a small agency isn't for everyone. I enjoyed the fact that I had constant visibility to the management team because it helped me understand and address my strengths and weaknesses as a PR professional - I imagine that may be a con for some people, though.

Finally, like many PR agencies, March has a rigorous workload. That's agency life and I don't think it's any different at March than at other similar agencies, but many new employees were surprised by the demanding client work given to them. With that said, I think March does a great job of checking in with employees to ensure that they enjoy the work that they're doing. While I was there, many employees switched functions (e.g. moving from the content team to client side) to find an area that they better enjoyed. That way, at least you're finding some meaning or enjoyment from the work that's keeping you so busy!

Aug 16, 2015 – Managing Director

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We appreciate it. I like your comment about there being plenty of room for individuals to inspire change, start internal programs and pioneer best... More

"Great PR Agency in Boston"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

March is a great agency with smart and like-minded staff and everyone shares a passion for technology. I've been with March for many years and no matter your level, your opinion can always be heard.

March always stays on the cusp of what's new in technology and PR. The CEO and managing director make sure employees are equipped with proper tools to do their jobs accurately and efficiently.

Training is offered to all staff, from intern to management team. There is also a robust onboarding program for new staff to show you the client and agency ropes.

The management team at March really cares about the people and clients. You feel like a part of the March family from Day One.

Cons

I cannot think of any cons at the moment.

"Only Senior Leadership and home-grown employees matter here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at March Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and normal pay. There are some good people who are willing to contribute to employee growth, but all in all, they are money hungry and a serious senior leadership clique.

Cons

My title sums it up! They do not invest in their employees. There are serious cliques and if you are below an SAE, you are disposable. They expect perfection in your work at all times and if you aren't strong in a certain area, training will not be coming your way. They will only pile more work on you. There is high turn over as they grow, which can be attributed to all the above, and a few certain managers whom have been complained about MANY times. The owners make every decision (that's not how a company is run) and they love these managers and just don't do anything about the issue. Opinions ate not received well. If you haven't been with the company for a while, you need to walk on egg shells because you will be judged harshly.

Advice to Management

Cut the fat, think like a business not a clique.

Aug 16, 2015 – Managing Director

Thank you for your feedback. I am truly sorry that you did not feel supported or heard. We have experienced some turnover. It's inevitable. I am proud to say that the majority of our turnover has... More

"Nightmare"

Pros

Beautiful working space, nice location in Boston, upscale clients, younger group of coworkers

Cons

Excruciatingly awful work/life balance. New hires receive no *real* training - you're literally expected to pick up on policies/practices/lingo from the get-go. If you're management, you'll love this place. If you're an underling, you'll be reminded every single day, because you'll be spoken to like you're an idiot. The 5 star reviewer on here gave himself/herself away when they said they've been with March "for years". I've never been in an office where there has been more of an "us" vs. "them" dynamic. Awful, awful, awful.

Advice to Management

If you want to acquire new business, HIRE MORE PEOPLE. Employees with 5+ clients is RIDICULOUS and you know this. If you care about your people as much as your company PR says you do - PROVE IT!

Aug 16, 2015 – Managing Director

I am sorry to hear that your experience was awful. I would like to comment on your advice to management. No one at the SAE level or below has more than five accounts. When we pitch for new business... More