March of Dimes Reviews in Atlanta, GA | Glassdoor

Atlanta, GA

4.4
Jennifer L. Howse

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There is a strong desire to support working parents and the organization has always presented a good work-life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Decent work life balance and a great mission (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • having organizational issues, lack of room for growth (in 7 reviews)

• Work Life Balance: none- unless you have a manager that just doesn't care (in 7 reviews)

1. "Wonderful Non Profit"

Former Employee - East Region Recruiter in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - East Region Recruiter in Atlanta, GA

I worked at March of Dimes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

March of dimes was a great place to work when I was there. I learned a lot about the non profit world and really liked my manager and coworkers.

Cons

As a recruiter, it was sometimes hard to get people to work for us as our salaries were not competitive with the other non profits for the experienced level associates.

Advice to Management

I know that some changes have been made and I hope that one has been a reassessment of salary for experienced hires.

2. "Community Director"

Former Employee - Community Director in Atlanta, GA

I worked at March of Dimes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexibility in schedule. Can work from home and/or coffee shop. Upper local management is decent. Lots of events going on throughout the year. Great Atlanta office location.

Cons

National level does not push out achievable sales. Very frustrating for management. Lots of turnover. Fundraising database is extremely out of date.

Advice to Management

Phase out projections. Only input money once. Should not account for money that we do not have. Extremely annoying to input multiple times.

3. "Administrative Assistant"

Former Contractor - Administrative Assistant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Contractor - Administrative Assistant in Atlanta, GA

I worked at March of Dimes as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Most of the managers were nice and welcoming. There offered to teach me things outside of my job title for knowledge.

Cons

Constant gossiping of other employees. One manager would call out at least twice a week and say she was sick. She did not like me helping anyone else but her. She was very selfish, rude and talked about everyone else in the office when they were not there including me. I had to miss a week and a half because I had surgery and she was telling people that I probably won't be needed anymore.

"Primarily just a fundraising organization"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at March of Dimes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At the ground level, staff is very committed to the mission and passionate about raising funds and awareness

Cons

The March of Dimes actually does very little, they raise funds, skim a large chunk off the top for administration and then pass that money through to others in the form of grants or political advocacy.

Advice to Management

There are some issues with ethics within the organization with several key individuals misconstruing work that outside entities are doing as "March of Dimes" work. If you're going to give grants, you should collect data to validate the impact of your grant programs and the grants should alignly closely with the msision.

"Charity is not all its cracked up to be"

Former Employee - Community Director in Atlanta, GA

Pros

March of Dimes is a grea tplace to work because you really are making a difference in the lives of familes. By working in the communities you haev an opportunity to meet families that have been affected by the MOD. Also, becuase there is a large focus on public health many employees come away knowing a lot more about maternal and infant healthcare.
    Moreover, working at the March of Dimes forced me to speak in front of groups more often and that in turn imrpoved my public speaking skills. Finally, the company did have decent felixibility for salaried employees.

Cons

Constantly fundraising and dealing with new "plans" from management.
    Management was constantly changing tactics or plans to raise money.
    Expectations were often unrealistic, especially in dealing with sales.
    Important changes about the companey were often hidden from employees.Salaries are quite low for the amount of work expected. In order to be successful you almost have to wokr several weekends and non of that time is compensated.

There is little focus on employment development and although the company says they prefer to hire internally -- hiring is based on personal preferences of managers.

While I was there two very, qualified hard working internal employees were passed over for an external employee. The hiring manager was indeed threatened by the two internal employees and had the final say!
    Promotion was based on personal preferences and not ability.

Advice to Management

Appreciate all employees no matter where they are on the food chain.
    Involve the employees that work in the field every day of how MOD is changing.
    Do not surprise employees with constant new initiatives and "concepts" that often do not take the region that the emplyees resides in, into account.