March of Dimes Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jennifer L. Howse

Pros
Cons
  • Some upper management lack experience (in 10 reviews)

• Very little room for growth unless you transfer to another division (in 5 reviews)

1. "Marketing Intern"

Pros

-Great experience for young individuals beginning their career
    -Allows you to gain non-profit experience

Cons

-Limited freedom
    -Limited amount of resources

Advice to Management

-Allow more opportunities for individuals to participate and help plan March for Babies walkathon in the spring.

2. "Development Specialist"

I worked at March of Dimes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The mission of the March of Dimes is a great one. They have funded research and set aggressive goals to decrease premature birth. There was a great work life balance

Cons

All field staff were switched to hourly and unable to go over their 40 hours. Management is not experienced in the world of non-profit and there was not much support to their staff. Many issues from above were not acknowledged. There was a lot of work for very little pay and currently in a salary freeze. Aggressive goals for fundraisers that were not very obtainable.

Advice to Management

Provide open communication to staff and do not hide issues within the organization. Allow staff to voice their opinion about what is feasible in

3. "Good as a place holder while looking for another gig...."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY

I worked at March of Dimes full-time

Pros

Mission of the company. You are helping babies. They are the future.

Cons

Behind in the times, very clicky, low pay, mgmt not open to hearing the truth... god comlpex!

"Hope on the Horizon"

I have been working at March of Dimes full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

New structure allows employees to report either directly or indirectly to someone who understands their job and what it takes to get the job done instead of being managed by someone who has no clue and thus really can't evaluate your performance accurately. I am hopeful that the ship is moving in the right direction under the new leadership of President Stewart.

Cons

A lot of changes in a short period of time. Staff turnover is high and morale is low since changes are still being made.

Advice to Management

Continue to be open, honest and transparent. Although it may not easy because the news is not always pleasant to hear, it's very necessary.

6. "Great place to grow and develop your career"

Current Employee - Senior Development Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Development Manager

I have been working at March of Dimes full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Wonderful work life balance and flexibility for a working mom. Good professional development opportunities. I personally have had a wonderful manager who has mentored me throughout my career to help be grow professionally.

Cons

Recently went through a foundation-wide reorganization, which took a lot of time and resources. It really affected staff morale as a result of the state of transition.

"Division Director"

Current Employee - Division Director
    Current Employee - Division Director

I have been working at March of Dimes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Important mission. Work with passionate volunteers.

Cons

The restructuring process eliminated local boards and essentially sent a message to volunteers that their partnership was not valuable. The result- many dedicated volunteers, some with over 20 years of fundraising experience, will no longer participate in MOD initiatives.

Advice to Management

Volunteer management is the most important part of fundraising. By eliminating local Boards volunteers felt unappreciated and that their efforts were not valued. Boards at the major market level do not have relationships in local communities. The negative impact of this aspect of the strategic realignment process will substantially hurt local area fundraising efforts for many years. Reinstate local boards or you are setting up local area employees for disappointing results.

8. "Ups and Downs of Non-profit jobs"

I worked at March of Dimes full-time

Pros

Self-fulfilling, get to work closely with families and businesses in the community, flexible schedule, excellent benefits and PTO

Cons

Undergoing restructure, horrible pay, lack of support from the top

9. "Very Flexible, Worried about Stability"

I have been working at March of Dimes full-time

Pros

Extremely flexible job that works with your life. Very busy too. I cannot stand being bored so this job is perfect for me. The mission and the people are great to work with!

Cons

Extremely worried about the stability of my job. Management over projected how much money we would receive last year.

Advice to Management

Find ways to save money that do not involve cutting necessary jobs. I could easily do my job from a home office & that would save on office rent.

10. "Fantastic Mission"

I worked at March of Dimes full-time

Pros

Mission definitely came first and the organization provided many tools that helped staff and volunteers communicate that to the public.

Cons

Long hours, limited staff. A lot of double entering of data into multiple different tracking tools. Many unrealistic goals for the size of the staff and community demographics.

"Manager"

Pros

I love working with such a supportive fundraising staff and volunteers. We truly have an awesome mission and we are able to do incredible things in our research center!

Cons

Higher management rules with a fear based structure and seems disconnected from the fundraising staff. Most have never been fundraisers themselves, but they certainly like to take credit for the bigger wins. Employees are leaving because of lack of support, guidance or leadership. This is a crumbling organization and I don't know how long they can hold on with the amount of debt that has ensued over years of poor money management.

Advice to Management

Start investing in your fundraising staff, old or new. Your online calls and videos are useless. Staff needs face to face meetings with real life examples. Take the time to go on meetings with new staff to help train and build confidence. Enough with scaring your staff with the "if you don't ______, we will have problems" attitude. Celebrate the wins and give constructive criticism. We want March of Dimes to thrive just like you do.