March of Dimes Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 21, 2017

1.0
Jennifer L. Howse

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There is a strong desire to support working parents and the organization has always presented a good work-life balance (in 10 reviews)

• Decent work life balance and a great mission (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • having organizational issues, lack of room for growth (in 7 reviews)

• Work Life Balance: none- unless you have a manager that just doesn't care (in 7 reviews)

1. "Sinking ship"

Current Employee - Development Manager
    Current Employee - Development Manager

I have been working at March of Dimes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are no pros.

Cons

The organization, particularly the field fundraising staff, is a disaster. My market lacks leadership and teamwork. Coworkers are not collaborative and only focus on themselves rather than the mission.

Advice to Management

Take a close look at your markets and the lack of leadership. If a market has been in decline for several years and had high turnover that's a clear sign that you need new people in leadership roles.

"Development manager"

I worked at March of Dimes full-time

Pros

None that I can think of

Cons

Unprofessional and highly political metrics for performance despite lip-service to the contrary.

Advice to Management

Run this like a business, not like a fraternity of insiders.

"Confused place"

I have been working at March of Dimes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful mission. Committed people.

Cons

The March of Dimes is about babies. The new President sounded ridiculous on videoconferences and in other venues, saying she didn't know "why" the March of Dimes exists. This was due to an over reliance on an the ideas of an external consultant. She is a smart woman and can stand on her own two feet. She lost credibility and can't afford to lose more. March of Dimes has tapped into the personal motivations of donors and employees for years - and that was always about babies. We can translate our mission into more relevant digital marketing - that everyone can agree on. Hopefully the new strategic planning process will be more businesslike. We need that.

Advice to Management

New people have come to the organization with big titles and a contemptuous attitude about everything that existed before they came. That attitude starts at the top and offends all of us - those of us who have been here for less than two years included. All of us can help build a stronger March of Dimes.

"Fake it til you make it"

Former Employee - Specialist in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Specialist in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at March of Dimes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Slim hours, experience, lots of lessons learned.

Cons

Specialists believe they are "too good" to do certain tasks for events outside their own that they deem lesser. Being a team player gets you nowhere except taken advantage of. ED is a nightmare. This is a good world for someone who can play the game and fake it to the top. Being a hard worker is secondary. It's about making people want to get cocktails with you > work ethic and results. Worked to ground before being let go. Make sure you document all of your hours, won't pay OT unless you fight for it.

5. "Administrative"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX

I worked at March of Dimes full-time

Pros

Excellent mission and simevreally great women working for this great cause.

Cons

Horrible management, no true leaders or mentors in this organization. They are clueless on why they are so far in the financial hole they find themselves in. Management acts like they are CEO's of a very profitable company and nothing could be further from the truth.

Advice to Management

Reorganization for over 2+ years- come on get rid of the old dogs holding this organization back.

6. "Beware of Region 6"

Current Employee - N/A in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - N/A in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at March of Dimes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great development staff to work with. Summer hours are great. Volunteers are truly amazing and passionate about the money they raise!

Cons

Discovered I was being paid the salary of a lesser position. Region 6 is lead by one of the most dense individuals who has no passion for the mission, but does enjoy taking credit of the successes of her staff. There is no support for new staff who are new in fundraising. They are literally "thrown to the wolves".

Advice to Management

With the latest wave of layoffs you are letting go some of the most talented individuals who actually have a passion for the mission. Instead of letting go some of the only competent people you have, take a bigger look at your management and what they are really doing. Maybe take a gander at the HR notes about your leaders and try to move forward to support your fundraisers and office staff.

"Good as a short term interim position"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in White Plains, NY
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in White Plains, NY

I worked at March of Dimes as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The mission of helping women have healthy babies is a noble one. Many great folks who are committed to the mission.

Cons

The company has lost its way. Management doesn't listen to employees who have great ideas for turning around the company, which is why so many great employees have left. Nothing is more demoralizing than management who says they want to hear new ideas, but continues to stick with old and worn out ideas. Cliques abound within the organization. It's not what you know, but who you know. The organization was full of dinosaurs who felt they were making a dynasty.

"Restructuring nightmare!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at March of Dimes full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Fexible work schedule, mission. Also, people are good , just some rotten apples who play favorites .

Cons

Mismanagement of money , low salaries , lack of communication , horrible executive director of NYC.

Advice to Management

Finish the restructuring already , give more communication to employees.

"March of Crimes"

I worked at March of Dimes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most of the people working there are wonderful people. I actually loved working there and loved my staff.

Cons

I was fired 4 months after being hired. I was told week after week how well I was doing, how my staff and me have gelled and have a great rapport. Then Day 89--I get the sit-down along with a laundry list of 'needs improvement' I had to make. This too was shortly after the CIO of the company stepped down after 20 years so 'he can help save the foundation'. It was then I saw the writing on the wall. Then, to add insult to injury, they send me down to Ft. Laudable to be the sole IT AV support for about 600 MOD employees. I got sick mid way and still finished the job. Went to the doctors after that trip and found water in my lungs. Came back after being sick for 2 days after that horrific 9-day business trip to be fired. Furthermore, I was told to lie to my staff at that afternoon's staff meeting to say I had found another opportunity and that I was not fired. Lastly, when I go to file for unemployment, the claims examiner says that they said I quit!! I was absolutely flabbergasted at the level of filth they still put me through. Thankfully, they didn't believe them and after not having any monies for 2 months, I was given monies that was due to me.

BUYER BEWARE!!!!

Advice to Management

Be honest upfront with your subordinates--immediately. If they're (truly) not doing the job---allow them the dignity to improve--early on. Do not be dirty to employees who give their all to you and are honest and hard working people. Remember--what comes around--most certainly goes around.

10. "Office manager"

I have been working at March of Dimes full-time

Pros

Good mission for the company

Cons

No stability for the employees

Advice to Management

Review your severance policy