March of Dimes Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 8, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jennifer L. Howse

Pros
  • There were many great volunteers to work with and a great mission (in 15 reviews)

• I also appreciated that there was a true work-life balance and decent benefits (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Some upper management lack experience (in 10 reviews)

• Very little room for growth unless you transfer to another division (in 5 reviews)

1. "Office manager"

I have been working at March of Dimes full-time

Pros

Good mission for the company

Cons

No stability for the employees

Advice to Management

Review your severance policy

"People don't leave organizations they leave bad bosses ..."

Former Employee - Senior Development Manager in Central City, FL
    Former Employee - Senior Development Manager in Central City, FL

I worked at March of Dimes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong national brand. Amazing volunteers. Good pay. Autonomy. Great resources produced at the national level. Very rich history with incredible achievements to brag about.

Cons

The MOD recently underwent a national restructure. I was eager to see the changes that would result because a third party consulting firm was hired, an internal task force was assembled, and like size nonprofits and CEOs were surveyed. Up until it was time to execute the strategic realignment I was excited. Then I learned that the third party consulting firm which had led the entire strategy behind the implementation was not going to be used during the execution stage of the realignment - something I will never understand.

The realignment was presented as the perfect time to put the right people in the right roles. This is what is best for the Foundation, the donors, and the mission. I can't speak to the outcomes of the restructure nationally but in Orlando the new Market leadership does not have any development experience, is incapable of building high level, revenue generating relationships, lacks communication skills, and thinks short term without vision or strategy.

It is sad to see how quick the new Market leadership has been able to take the Orlando Market backwards from executive leadership to top level sponsorship. Such a worthy organization,with such a critical mission is being represented locally by leadership that simply does not posses the skills to do the job effectively.

If you are looking for a leader I would look elsewhere. If you are looking for someone to implement industry standards and best practices I would look elsewhere. Bottom line - until the new leadership, I would look elsewhere. Hope this helps someone out there!

Advice to Management

Get rid of underperforming development staff. Our job is to fund the mission and although we are a charity we are not a local charity meant to pity tenured staff.

"Community Director"

I worked at March of Dimes full-time

Pros

The mission is wonderful and the people who support the mission are devoted.

Cons

Upper management doesn't respect their employees and there isn't an active HR.

Advice to Management

Compensate your people appropriately and try to provide a safe and sound culture.

"RUN! You won't be the exception - trust me!"

Former Employee - Community Director in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Community Director in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at March of Dimes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Field staff (lowest on the food chain) are amazing to work with. The mission is great and the communities are supportive. If you love to network you can make good connections.

Cons

If you are creative and want to help change anything, you will be miserable. They do not like change. If you are a "yes" person than you may keep your job for six months until they decide that they don't want you anymore. Fear based management style - no leadership. Keep you stressed with negative reinforcement and tell you that you will lose your job if you don't raise a certain amount of money, but then do not give you any budget to properly raise the money. Don't put yourself through this emotional nightmare!

Advice to Management

There's no point in writing this. I filed numerous complaints to HR when I saw people including myself being bullied.

"Non-Existant Management"

Pros

Vacation time. Work experience. Thats it.

Cons

Too many managers with lack of management. So much disorganization it hurts. Expected to do 10 times work load with sub-par compensation.

"Take notice!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at March of Dimes full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Travel to staff conference. Drinking a plenty!

Cons

Management is CLUELESS! Suggestions fall on deaf ears. HR is a JOKE! They are the biggest bunch of morons! Organization is going through a restructure and it is worse than before. No one knows what's going on. Huge clue - most of their senior staff have retired in the past year or left for other positions. Even Dr Howse is retiring at the end of the year. All the rats are jumping ship.

Advice to Management

BYE!

"Sinking Ship"

I worked at March of Dimes full-time

Pros

Good benefits. Amazing cause. Great history.

Cons

March of Dimes is a sinking ship. Horrible work environment. High stress, zero support,terrible communication and management. Don't invest in the field and place no value on their employees who dedicate so much time and effort to the cause. MGMT doesn't listen to its field staff about what should change as is evident with the current reorganization disaster. Put up a front of being positive while they manage with total negativity and fear tactics. You're set up to fail before you ever start. Pay is terrible. Run as fast as you can.

Advice to Management

Advice to Board. Do your job and hire a new dynamic CEO to change the culture from top to bottom.

"Operations"

Former Employee - Operations in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Operations in Orlando, FL

I worked at March of Dimes full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Co-works were great to work with. Company offers great amount of vacation days. For the most part local managers were great when need time off.

Cons

Company is going through reorganization. Laid off non money making employees.

"Community"

I have been working at March of Dimes full-time

Pros

Great co-workers and meaningful job

Cons

Management is unprofessional and useless. Organization is going under a restructuring and it is currently a horrible work environment.

Advice to Management

Get new managers

"Think Twice"

I worked at March of Dimes full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The mission of the the March of Dimes is the only motivating reason a person would consider working there. At a point in time the people would have been a PRO but not anymore; no soul to this organization now.

Cons

The select ivory tower leadership do not care nor understand what happens in the field; out of touch and they are OK with that, really sad. Management seems focused on there inflated salaries versus doing what is right for the staff, volunteers and donors. Also, there is a definite issue of discrimination (race, age, gender).

Advice to Management

Management needs to lead by example; maybe start with a 10%-20% pay reduction. MOD is not a profit organization and your salary should not be "competitive" with them; if so, the lot of them would have been out years ago. SRS has destroyed a great organization that will probably be out of business in 4-5 years.