March of Dimes Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Jennifer L. Howse

Pros
Cons
  • Some upper management lack experience (in 10 reviews)

• Very little room for growth unless you transfer to another division (in 5 reviews)

"Good as a place holder while looking for another gig...."

I worked at March of Dimes full-time

Pros

Mission of the company. You are helping babies. They are the future.

Cons

Behind in the times, very clicky, low pay, mgmt not open to hearing the truth... god comlpex!

2. "I oversee all aspects of an annual fundraiser"

Current Employee - Development Manager in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Development Manager in Louisville, KY

I have been working at March of Dimes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Feel good about what I do. I get to work on a variety of tasks including event planning, development, marketing and fundraising. Work with executive level professionals in the community.

Cons

Extremely slow at filling positions that are vital to local office. Very old office and you have to worry a lot about issues you shouldn't have to like taking out your trash (though this may be just my local office).

Advice to Management

National office makes it really hard for anyone at the local office to get things done quickly and efficiently.

"Job seeker beware"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY

I worked at March of Dimes (More than a year)

Pros

Worked with some of the nicest and knowledgeable people in their field who were truly passionate about the work they do to support the mission. I also appreciated that there was a true work-life balance and decent benefits.

Cons

There was a major disconnect between the National Office where I worked and the state and regional chapters. Most of these satellite offices and also outside donors had no idea that the organization had a global presence. I think this was a lost opportunity as far as promotion and fundraising. Also, the organization as a whole have not made sound financial decisions which unfortunately led to a recent downsize. They may be able to turn things around in the next 6 months or more, but I cannot recommend working there at this time.

"Shakedown From Top Needed"

Former Employee - Manager in White Plains, NY

I worked at March of Dimes full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The mission is really compelling.
    Dependable colleagues.

Cons

No room for growth.
    Talent constantly gets overlooked.
    Micromanagement.
    Senior leaders need to retire.
    Stagnant energy. Immediately snuffs out any chance for true change.
    Old fashioned fundraising tactics.

Advice to Management

In order for real change to occur senior level leaders need to officially retire.
    Stop snuffing out creative ideas that can help the organization thrive. Stop being afraid of change.
    Listen to your employees needs and invest in your employees.

"Sinking Ship"

Former Employee - Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Director in New York, NY

I worked at March of Dimes full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Once, an amazing organization that truly cared about the audience it served. The colleagues for the most part of smart, caring and hard-working.

Cons

It's all about the money and has been for some time! The mission message is muddied and the public has no clear idea what March of Dimes does any more. The senior management is clueless. Decisions are made without input from the staff who is doing the work. Morale is non-existent. There is no room for growth.

Advice to Management

Retire the old guard. Fresh blood is needed.

7. "Was helping clean up"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at March of Dimes part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

After the walk I helped clean up the area. Very fun.

Cons

Not many just hard work.

8. "Community Director"

Former Employee - Fundraiser/Community Director in Pine Brook, NJ
    Former Employee - Fundraiser/Community Director in Pine Brook, NJ

I worked at March of Dimes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Charity, lot's of fun as you get closer to the actual march for babies.

Cons

Must meet sales goals. Community Director is a true sales position

Advice to Management

Less pressure

"There are two kinds of employees - those trying desperately to leave and those waiting to retire"

Former Employee - Manager in White Plains, NY

I worked at March of Dimes full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The mission is incredible and the research supported can really make a change. In addition, the history of the Foundation is so amazing, it would be terrible to lose it. The volunteers LOVE the Foundation (though sometimes it doesn't seem like the Foundation even cares about the volunteers).

Cons

There are so many changes that NEED to happen. It used to be an amazing place to work but the culture is depressing. In the past, people would love to be friendly and were actually excited to be there. After some harsh notices and changes (mostly around salary, benefits and structure), many became incredibly depressed and resentful. There is little to no work/life balance and there is no career advancement. If you are one of the lucky few (and I mean few) who are promoted, you are done so with only minimal salary increase (about 3-4K). However, if you leave and then come back to that position, you will be rewarded with at least 20K more than when you left. Many people in National do not care about the mission. The chapters do not believe in national, which makes it even harder to come together as a group. In addition, the Foundation is bad at trying new ideas and tends to do the exact same thing year after year. I would, though, be incredibly sad to see this foundation disappear. I was a strong volunteer before working there and after seeing it from the inside, it's hard to be as passionate. In addition, most people do the work of three people and barely get paid enough for one person.

Advice to Management

Embrace the changes in the world and try something new (and realize that you cannot change everything in just three months, but you can make a start at least). Provide employees opportunities to advance and give them adequate salaries to match their titles and responsibilities.

"Primarily just a fundraising organization"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at March of Dimes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

At the ground level, staff is very committed to the mission and passionate about raising funds and awareness

Cons

The March of Dimes actually does very little, they raise funds, skim a large chunk off the top for administration and then pass that money through to others in the form of grants or political advocacy.

Advice to Management

There are some issues with ethics within the organization with several key individuals misconstruing work that outside entities are doing as "March of Dimes" work. If you're going to give grants, you should collect data to validate the impact of your grant programs and the grants should alignly closely with the msision.

11. "Love the mission and our fantastic, research driven programs."

Current Employee - Community Director in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Community Director in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at March of Dimes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Our NICU family support and eddy Bear Den which is an incentive based program to encourage low income mothers to practive safe prenatal care. Wonderful outcomes shared by families.

Cons

Management!!! Directors are trained to delegate all data collection, fundraising and programs. They aren't required to attend fundraising events or even show knowledge of programs. They observe the work being done and our compensated well.

Advice to Management

Work! Know your programs and be actively involved. We're a non-profit. There should be no superiority complexes. Show your volunteers you know why they are there and be willing to work beside them.