March of Dimes Reviews | Glassdoor

March of Dimes Reviews

Updated April 24, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Some upper management lack experience (in 10 reviews)

• Very little room for growth unless you transfer to another division (in 5 reviews)

"A great cause, but organization seems to be struggling"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Riverdale, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Riverdale, NY

I worked at March of Dimes full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Dedicated, hard working coworkers and volunteers with a passion for the mission. An important cause. Organization with an impressive history and record of achievements since being founded by President Roosevelt over 75 years ago.

Cons

Organization is having financial hardships, has laid off staff several times in the past 15 years. Remaining employees are working hard but feel they don't get enough information or support from management.

Advice to Management

Admit that recent changes in the organization have affected morale and make a real effort to improve it. Don't just expect everyone to work harder, give them information, guidance and support.

"Division Director"

Former Employee - Division Director in Duluth, MN
    Former Employee - Division Director in Duluth, MN

I worked at March of Dimes full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Loved my boss, great teammates, flexibility, good vacation and holidays, good pay for market, you'll get to meet some incredible mission families, great event management and board development experience. Rewarding. I loved this job - only left to fulfill a personal goal on my bucket list.

Cons

I understand things are changing administratively across the country, so the face of the field offices are changing. My only "con" would be increased goals with same or less resources. I wish there would have been a model to reward high performing divisions with increased staff which not only motivates a team but keeps the momentum going. Also never went to annual summer meeting because our financial resources were kept tightly in check. Wish national would have bonused top performers with this trip outside of state chapter budget.

Advice to Management

See cons - spells it out.

3. "Development, relationships, hard work in fast pace environment."

Current Employee - Development Specialist in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Development Specialist in Baltimore, MD

Pros

Flexibility, room for growth, entertaining events, broad scope of responsibilities working with great families and teams and very valuable experiences.

Cons

Not your typical M-F 9-5 job. Demanding hours and events, a heavy work load, not always the best support or structure.

Advice to Management

Work on top-down management so that the lowest level of employees feel supported and informed.

"RUN! You won't be the exception - trust me!"

Former Employee - Community Director in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Community Director in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at March of Dimes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Field staff (lowest on the food chain) are amazing to work with. The mission is great and the communities are supportive. If you love to network you can make good connections.

Cons

If you are creative and want to help change anything, you will be miserable. They do not like change. If you are a "yes" person than you may keep your job for six months until they decide that they don't want you anymore. Fear based management style - no leadership. Keep you stressed with negative reinforcement and tell you that you will lose your job if you don't raise a certain amount of money, but then do not give you any budget to properly raise the money. Don't put yourself through this emotional nightmare!

Advice to Management

There's no point in writing this. I filed numerous complaints to HR when I saw people including myself being bullied.

"Take notice!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I worked at March of Dimes full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Travel to staff conference. Drinking a plenty!

Cons

Management is CLUELESS! Suggestions fall on deaf ears. HR is a JOKE! They are the biggest bunch of morons! Organization is going through a restructure and it is worse than before. No one knows what's going on. Huge clue - most of their senior staff have retired in the past year or left for other positions. Even Dr Howse is retiring at the end of the year. All the rats are jumping ship.

Advice to Management

BYE!

"Operations"

Former Employee - Operations in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Operations in Orlando, FL

I worked at March of Dimes full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Co-works were great to work with. Company offers great amount of vacation days. For the most part local managers were great when need time off.

Cons

Company is going through reorganization. Laid off non money making employees.

"Job seeker beware"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in White Plains, NY

I worked at March of Dimes (More than a year)

Pros

Worked with some of the nicest and knowledgeable people in their field who were truly passionate about the work they do to support the mission. I also appreciated that there was a true work-life balance and decent benefits.

Cons

There was a major disconnect between the National Office where I worked and the state and regional chapters. Most of these satellite offices and also outside donors had no idea that the organization had a global presence. I think this was a lost opportunity as far as promotion and fundraising. Also, the organization as a whole have not made sound financial decisions which unfortunately led to a recent downsize. They may be able to turn things around in the next 6 months or more, but I cannot recommend working there at this time.

"Office Manager"

Current Employee - Office Manager in White Plains, NY
    Current Employee - Office Manager in White Plains, NY

I have been working at March of Dimes full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The general work environment is flexible and friendly. They offer great PTO time benefits. They also have a wonderful mission and it's great working with the volunteers and mission families.

Cons

The annual raises are small, and promotions are almost non-existent. There is no matching of retirement funds, and the medical plan is dismal. Team moral is very low at this time due to a major restructuring within the Foundation.

10. "program intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Intern in Arlington, VA

Pros

diverse, flexible, different cultures, good environment

Cons

lots of driving, far distances, long hours, no pay

"Change is good."

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at March of Dimes (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits and flexible schedule.

Cons

Some upper management lack experience – alot of folks are sort of "grandfathered" into higher positions. The company is going through a major re-org which will no doubt take a year or two to become steady.

Advice to Management

Be more flexible and open.