Marchex Engineering Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Anne Devereux-Mills
1 Rating

Pros
  • Have always valued "work/life balance" (in 36 reviews)

• Great place lots of good culture and people (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay/compensation, not always valued for your work (in 6 reviews)

• They require that these roles always start as temp with an undetermined conversion to full-time date (often over a year) (in 4 reviews)

"Good Working Environment"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Marchex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Health/Dental benefits, great career mobility

Cons

pays below industry standard. The company emphasizes selling new features over reducing technical debt.

Apr 5, 2017 – Head of Product, Engineering & Technology

It’s good to see you appreciate the benefits you received at Marchex and felt good about your career mobility. We take seriously the care and job satisfaction of our employees. Regarding ... More

"Once a great place to work now nose diving into the ground"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marchex full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are great smart people

Cons

poor/no future outlook for the company
    clueless leadership
    No CEO, no CTO
    Everybody is looking to get out

Advice to Management

Hire a CTO & CEO

Apr 3, 2017

We’ve had some past challenges but our future is bright. Underlying our opportunity are the incredibly bright and talented people that work here. We’ve had some important successes recently ... More

"Used to be a great place to work"

Former Employee - Engineering Manager and Architect in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Engineering Manager and Architect in Seattle, WA

I worked at Marchex full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Marchex had a very Agile engineering culture, with the business leaders understood driving by priority. Lots of TDD. Lots of pair programming. Moving toward CI and CD. No on-call shifts.

Cons

Newer company leadership made some questionable decisions around business direction, initiated on-call for developers, and downplayed the benefits of much of the past goodness.

Advice to Management

At this point, there's little advice to give. Much of the senior leadership has been replaced, multiple rounds of layoffs have decreased morale and faith in the future of the company.

Feb 28, 2017

It’s always difficult to make decisions that impact people we respect and enjoy working with. We’ve had to make some tough choices recently that hurt and there’s no way around that. However, we do ... More

"Collapsing"

Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Software Development Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marchex full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There's still some great people left.

Cons

The engineering org is preparing for mass exodus. Two layoffs and engineering has been slashed by more than a third, there's no one in the rooms making decisions who appreciate engineering, and most folks in engineering are looking to get out now.

Advice to Management

Sell the company, or shut it down and sell off the assets.

Mar 6, 2017 – Head of Product, Engineering & Technology

Thank you for the feedback. As a current employee of Marchex, it’s good to see you appreciate that there are good people here - I agree! However, your outlook on our future is concerning and I’d ... More

"Heavy on collaboration"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Marchex full-time

Pros

- Overall friendly environment and not overly deadline-focused. The occasional company-wide events are fun--kickball in the summer and gingerbread houses in the winter are the big ones, but there are also sometimes charity drives and guest speakers. The interview process is also great; the questions are much more about reasonable thinking than about how well you know language X's syntax.

- Various teams work in different tech stacks, so depending on the openings, there's a decent chance that you may find a team working on something that fits your interests. To that end, learning new technologies (on your own time) is encouraged, and purchases of reference materials to that end are reimbursed by the company. Lots of support and encouragement is also provided to newer developers (whether interns, graduating, or coming from a bootcamp-type program) and research on newer technologies and open-source solutions is also encouraged--I never encountered any "not invented here syndrome".

- The biyearly Hack Week is great for developers, resulting in anything from useful internal tools to viable product offerings.

Cons

- I'm not sure about the rest of the engineering org, but my team was very strongly focused on working synchronously on everything--from non-flexible hours enforced by the daily standup, to programming almost exclusively in pairs, to frequent meetings, there was rarely any allowance for working solo or at different paces or times than the rest of the group. This may be a good thing if you love working with people (without being able to, say, listen to music while coding), but personally, I began to feel very stressed out by all the mandatory pairing and having to verbally justify each thing I did all day.

Again, this doesn't necessarily represent the entire engineering org--as noted in other reviews, there is a lot of leeway given to individual teams to determine their own workflow and structure. However, I was never able to get a clear answer as to how and when our working agreement was decided, or how it might be modified, so take that as you will. There are a variety of layouts for the teams' working spaces, from noisy open-plan areas to more separated cubicle-type desks.

- During my time at Marchex, changes were made to salary structure, so that if your original salary was $X plus a $Y bonus, it was now $(X - Y) plus a bonus of anywhere from 0 to 2Y (depending on the results of performance reviews). As far as I can tell, this is no better for employees, with plenty of opportunity to lose significant amounts of pay if you miss a checkbox on your performance review. Additionally, Ops support was replaced with on-call shifts for developers. If you are considering a position at Marchex, please be aware of these policies, if still in effect.

Advice to Management

I appreciate the strides toward transparency and team self-determination, but dispute the effectiveness of applying sales-, marketing-, and management-oriented culture toward technical teams (e.g. open-plan offices).

Sep 27, 2016

Thanks for taking the time to write this thoughtful note. As you highlight, some of the cons relate to individual group / manager styles as we let our teams operate in the manner they think most ... More

7. "I'm happily coming into my second year here as an engineer."

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marchex full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We get great payed time off benefits and forty hour work weeks (usually). The engineering org just opened up a lot of transparency for pay, and left in plenty of room for performance based bonuses. We treat interns and new hires with respect, which is cool.

Cons

The company could do more to build gender diversity in engineering, which is largely (85-15?) male. The new programs for that feel pretty feeble, despite pretty good buy-in (I'm hopeful).

Apr 15, 2016 – VP, People Services

Glad to hear you are having a positive experience at Marchex! I wholeheartedly agree with your feedback regarding diversity in engineering. We are actively looking at ways to update our recruiting ... More

8. "Good place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marchex (More than a year)

Pros

Friendly smart people. The HR department really cares for the well being of employees.

Cons

Management can sometimes be a little too short term focused, making it difficult for the software engineers to keep adapting to changing strategy.

Mar 7, 2016

Thx for the feedback. Glad to see that our initiatives to serve our People are resonating - we're spending a lot of time here and making up for old debt. I'd love to hear more re: con ... as we're ... More

9. "Great Intern Program"

Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Marchex as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Solid mentorship program, above average intern pay, SUPER NICE employees, really chill atmosphere, fun intern activities, lots of different teams

Cons

break room could use more snacks, kind of cold sometimes, restrooms are kind of crappy, some recruiters are overly aggressive

Advice to Management

Voting via applause to determine which employees get awards? seems kind of childish and condescending. Management has way too many levels for a company of Marchex's size

10. "Marchex from software developer viewpoint"

Former Employee - Software Development Engineer III in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Software Development Engineer III in Seattle, WA

Pros

Great team of software developers
    Technical challenges

Cons

IT infrastructure is failing.
    Stocks are struggling

11. "Excellent company"

I have been working at Marchex full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Marchex is a growing company, both in terms of product quality and market share, and in terms of internal culture. The company recognizes, from top to bottom, that long-term success means doing things "the right way," and not taking shortcuts. Employees are valued and highly appreciated, and this company has some of the best folks around working for it.

Cons

Benefits and compensation are not the best in the industry, but they're not bad, and "work-life balance" is a strong added benefit.

Advice to Management

When you see needs for hires, jump on it. Be even more aggressive on getting the right people in place.

Feb 23, 2016

Thx for the feedback. Re: benefits, we've worked hard to meaningfully improve all benefits as well as increase overall compensation. - pete (ceo)