Marcum Search Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
Richard Paris
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Be responsible for your own business!"

I have been working at Marcum Search full-time

Pros

The best of both worlds; the benefits of a boutique firm allowing you the ability to run your own business with benefit of a national firm, providing you the large firm feel (benefits, etc). In this business you either "have it" or you don't. Upper management is there to lend some support when you need it, but not spoon feed you or hold your hand.

Cons

Nothing you would not tell yourself when you are in a slump...they tell you the truth; sometimes when you just don't want to hear it.

Advice to Management

Continue being supportive and fair.

2. "Director"

Former Employee - Director in Melville, NY
    Former Employee - Director in Melville, NY

I worked at Marcum Search full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The staffing team we assembled for the Melville office was great! All of us were seasoned professionals, got along very well and helped each other. I really enjoyed the camaraderie we had!

There also was a good work/life balance offered, which was greatly appreciated by all!

Cons

Senior Management provided no real leadership and support of employees. The firm has a poor reputation within some other areas of CPA parent company. There is no coordination between branch offices in NYC and Melville. There are “Candidate Ownership Rules” and “Rules of Engagements” in place but the NYC office does not follow them. Some job orders received by NYC office were never shared with the Melville office and never put into the CRM system to be shared.

Senior management has overspent money on job boards by purchasing services not utilized. Management was rude, disrespectful and untrustworthy at times. They don't honor any agreements or commitments. They don't take responsibility or accountability for their actions. The firm is too top heavy in terms of senior management running it.

Finally, upon leaving Marcum Search, the President refused to pay me for commissions duly earned prior to my departure. Upon threatening to call the Department of Labor to complain that my former employer was withholding wages properly earned, the President quickly revised his decision and instructed payroll to pay me what was due.

It’s a shame, since the firm had the potential to be a great staffing firm but I don’t see that happening anytime soon with the current senior management team in place. Within the last few months, several of the staff have left. Look elsewhere within the staffing business to work!

Advice to Management

Senior management needs to reassess the direction of the firm, honor rules and commitments made, start treating staffers with more respect and finally stop worrying about how much they can put in their own pockets.

"Terrible company to work with"

Pros

Nothing positive to say about the company.

Cons

I wish I never got involved with this company, I've had an absolute horrible experience in dealing with them in all aspects of the recruitment and employment process after they initially contacted me to offer a position after finding my resume. As a recruiting agency, they are supposed to represent their employees, and that is completely not the case. Dealing with them just made the process much more difficult. I have not been paid on time, have been asked to take some shady financial actions, and even have been threatened by them. Would never recommend Marcum to anyone and was advised to report them for unethical practices.

4. "Director"

I have been working at Marcum Search full-time

Pros

Flexible work hours, ability to manage your own desk

Cons

no cons at this time

"mismanagement"

Pros

great parent company, great entrepreneurial spirit

Cons

no drive or motivation due to poor managemnet

Advice to Management

change your style

6. "Great place to work"

I have been working at Marcum Search full-time

Pros

Flexibility, Great salary/benefits. Open door policy. Good management and talented co-workers. Company provides all of the latest tools/technology and support you need to succeed. Multiple locations throughout the US and always growing.

Cons

There are no cons.

7. "Happy to be here!!!!!"

I have been working at Marcum Search full-time

Pros

Flexibility, great salary/benefits, cultivates independent thinking and entrepreneurial freedom , promotes true ownership of process. Great team, always available to contribute, support, and learn from. Open door policy to all management. Lots of fun, lots of work, lots of reward.

Cons

The cons are these reviews. Poor reviews come from people who couldn't make it here, needed constant hand holding and training. And the truth is, when this company started, it was still learning and figuring out the right people to employ. The foundation of this company still has all its original employees. The ones who helped mold and cultivate the environment here. When a company is new, sometimes it makes mistakes. And some of wrong people were hired. And ultimately when they were terminated, they were not very happy, Obviously. So they choose to vent and write nasty reviews. Hopefully they have all found new roles, and employers who offer the training and guidance that they needed to succeed.

"Horrible Company! Horrible Management/Leadership!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Marcum Search (Less than a year)

Pros

Absolutely none to comment on!

Cons

Management (Exec VP & President) is terrible and no leadership and support of employees. Micro management. Don't care about employees. Management is rude, disrespectful and untrustworthy. They don't honor any agreements or commitments. Constantly turn things around to blame the employees and don't take responsibility or accountability for their actions. Poor salary and benefits. Avoid working there!

Advice to Management

Be professional, value employees and their contributions, honor commitments, don't micro manage and avoid being disrespectful to other managers in front of employees. Doesn't deserve to be rated but had to give a star to complete review.

"Recruiter"

Pros

fun environment, flexible schedule as long as you are there and producing they do not care how often you are there or anything for that matter

Cons

a lot of issues with upper management - withholding commission and improper payouts.

Advice to Management

if commissions are set in stone they should be that and nothing else.

"Take Heed to the reviews and you won't be fooled!"

Former Employee - Executive Recruiter
    Former Employee - Executive Recruiter

Pros

Convenient location and nice office space.

Cons

I will be shocked if Marcum Search still exists in 3 years. The smartest thing Marcum LLP could do as an organization is to separate themselves completely from this wanna be staffing firm that has a terrible reputation in the community.
    If you are looking to be a recruiter or director (same thing at Marcum you can choose your title) do yourself a favor and look somewhere else. Do not be lured by false advertisement, it's all lies. They make no money, they have little to no business, they are unprofessional and will lie directly to clients in order to make a buck. I was absolutely mortified by some of the things I witnessed while I was there.
    Do yourself a favor...just don't. Read the reviews and find another company to recruit for. The environment here is toxic and not conducive to making money.

Advice to Management

The Executive Management team should be replaced, hands down. They are unprofessional, dishonest, lazy, have a terrible reputation in the community and have no clue how to manage others.
    Learn what executive means and how it's done successfully.