Marcus Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 16, 2019

2.9
Marcus Corporation CEO and Director Gregory S. Marcus
Gregory S. Marcus
Pros
  • "free movies, free popcorn, associate passes(in 9 reviews)

• "(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "minimum wage job, rarely any raises(in 5 reviews)

• "Upper management focuses on the budget only - cutting out the extras that make this place an upper level hotel(in 4 reviews)

1. "Honorable"

Current Employee - Seamstress in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Marcus Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The company cares about all the employees

Cons

Parking is a problem, I pay $ 50 a month to park

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Marcus Corporation2019-11-03
  2. "Movie Tavern"

Former Employee - Server

I worked at Marcus Corporation full-time

Pros

The money was good. If ran right it would be a better job

Cons

Not enough staff always was working more.

Marcus Corporation2019-12-16
  3. "Limited Opportunities for Growth and Development"

Former Employee - Full Time in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Marcus Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Marcus has a long history in Wisconsin and continues to have positive growth in the movie theater and hotel industry. Marcus is definitely the leader of its industry in the Milwaukee area and one of the most well known names in Wisconsin so having them on your resume could never hurt your future opportunities.

Cons

There is very limited opportunity for advancement with Marcus. Once you have been hired you are not as desirable for promotion as someone who is applying for the same job from outside the company. In some areas of the company there is almost no opportunity for advancement and you are encouraged by leadership to look for employment with another company if you want to advance your career. I was told flat out by my boss that there was not an opportunity for advancement from my current position and there never will be.

Advice to Management

Focus on your people more than your profit. Marcus definitely puts profit above people which greatly benefits the managers at the top who are making the most money but stalls or ruins the careers of lower level people who are trying to gain ground in their career fields.

Marcus Corporation2019-12-06
  4. "Dont work here"

Former Employee - Server/Bartender in Omaha, NE

I worked at Marcus Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free movies was the only pro

Cons

I was repremanded for the dumbest things. If your tips went below 15% you got in trouble. If you drank soda from a paper cup you got in trouble. If you gave anything to a cusomer, even a single curnal of corn for a sample you got in trouble. They are a money hungry corperation and i suggest you stay away.

Advice to Management

Value your employees more than your paycheck.

Marcus Corporation2019-10-22
  5. "Terrible work environment"

Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at Marcus Corporation full-time for more than a year

Pros

Free movies. Discount on gift cards at holidays

Cons

Terrible work environment and awful leadership. Executives are rude and self serving. Created a culture of fear. Leadership talks down to and yells at employees. Poor benefits and compensation unless you've been at the company for 20 years.

Marcus Corporation2019-08-13

"Great Place to work, Communication could have been better from Management"

Former Employee - Bartender in Crosswoods, OH

I worked at Marcus Corporation part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The environment as a bartender is a good place to start if you're new to bartending especially with the lower-volume business. Once someone gets the idea of the job position, expectations, performance, pricings, food, and how to create the signature cocktails on the menu, you would be golden for the higher--volume business on the Tuesdays, Fridays, and Saturday evenings. Wednesdays are hit and miss but do expect really high volume once in a while for movie events. One time on the 26th of December 2018, I earned over $2000.00 in sales and it was a night that really pushed me to my limits. The people you work with can be knowledgeable on their field: whether it is learning more about mixology, bartending in general, the place eventually became a home to me and my bar crew became my family. The Benefits are fair: You get free popcorn when you go to watch a movie when you're off the clock, free fountain drinks, free tickets (two maximum) based on what time you see your desired movie. Every 12 hours will reward you $1 associate passes to use but they must be used on the day of your movie showing. I'll never forget the kind regulars that came in and knew how well I took care of them. I'm the kind of person that cares so much for the growth of their teammates and clients that I wouldn't miss it for the world.

Cons

Since August 2017 when new management took over, they completely knocked me off the schedule at first. It wasn't until February 2018 when I reached out to the Human Resources to investigate the issue and they were able to have me on schedule regularly again. The current management will pick out the people they don't seem fit to their standards and will make their working environment so difficult and miserable to the point they hope that their target associate will quit. I was able to survive such management for almost 2 years and have heard that many others were affected by this situation. By December 2018, the supervisor advised all food and beverage associates to be at work under 5 minutes from their clock in time so that they wouldn't be documented for corporation to review. Even so, I fed off the advice and even asked management if there's anything they need from me at every end of my shift and they would say 'no'. June 2019 roles in, and I get a notice that I have a final warning regarding attendance, which wasn't a problem a half a year ago and other associates made even worse attendance records than I did. One more infraction from an illness and technical difficulties with my alarm clock cost me my job. To sum it up: I have already done my part in what I had to do to meet their expectations. Management is also responsible to notify their associates if they are under performing even if it's regarding attendance.

Advice to Management

Communication is so important to your associates especially those with a learning disability. If you care about your employees, please notify people if they're falling short on their performance, especially if it involves their employment. It needs to be expressed in writing and emailed to such employee so that they can have a choice to do their job better or not. To the bar staff at the Crosswoods location: I love you all so much and I'll never have a family as great a you all. I'll miss you dearly and I wish the best of luck on your endeavors.

Marcus Corporation2019-06-22
  7. "Room to Grow"

I have been working at Marcus Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great opportunities for advancement for dedicated and intelligent individuals. Strong resources from the Corporate level.

Cons

Long hours, but it is the hospitality industry

Marcus Corporation2019-03-25
  8. "Good to Start, Not to Stay"

Current Employee - Concessionist

I have been working at Marcus Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free movies Free popcorn Plenty of hours

Cons

Employees leave quickly Long hours on your feet with one break per shift Guests constantly unhappy about prices No sick days, if you can't get your shift covered you take an occurrence Doesn't pay well

Marcus Corporation2018-10-16
  9. "Horrible"

Former Employee - Accounting Manager in Rancho Murieta, CA

I worked at Marcus Corporation full-time for less than a year

Pros

Benefits and vacation time were decent

Cons

They are awful. Rude managers, no help on a corporate level, and what you are hired to do and what you actually do are never the same. Be prepared to be treated like a child and worked to death

Advice to Management

Treat people how you want to be treated!

Marcus Corporation2018-07-17

"Penny pinchers & management doesn't like to actually manage"

I worked at Marcus Corporation

Pros

The employees (non management) are wonderful to work with. Lounge for guest is nice and relaxing. Scent of hotel is refreshing.

Cons

Management does not believe in immediately rectifying guest service recovery, will let it sit for weeks causing scores to drop. Management drinks on-site after shift is done. Director talks down to GSA's & Guests. Apparently per standards it's ok to have a room slightly dirty. No pride in leadership.

Advice to Management

Yes money is great, but you show your smaller employees you care about them and you actually care about the hotels standards being raised, you'll have better reviews, more money coming in, due to many guests recommending your properties. Unlike now where they have no intent on recommending.

Marcus Corporation2017-12-20