Marcus Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Marcus Corporation CEO and Director Gregory S. Marcus
Gregory S. Marcus

1. "Underpaid, Understaffed, and Overworked"

Current Employee - Vendor in La Crosse, WI
    Current Employee - Vendor in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Marcus Corporation part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have worked at Marcus for almost a year, and I just put my two weeks in. The staff I worked along side was the best. They seem to hire all of the best people, from high school to college aged students. It is a fun environment to work in, and there are some nice movie-seeing benefits. You + 1 guest get to a see a free movie every week, and dollar passes for every 12 hours worked. Lots of competitions to keep you motivated. I stayed with Marcus so long because of my great coworkers, the movie benefits, and also the flexible scheduling!

Cons

The upper management (general managers and corporate) don't care about their employees. They are only concerned with profit. There is no consistency, things are constantly changing and there never seems to be any order or good reasoning to their actions. If you win competitions, don't expect your prizes unless you pester the upper management about it. Expect your shifts to be cut, or to be sent home early. On Thanksgiving we were jipped of our time and a half because we were sent on 45 minute breaks so that they could cutback on payroll. If i'm sacrificing my Thanksgiving to work, I think I deserve the time and half. The entire time I have worked at Marcus, I have heard they are trying to cut back on payroll. Also, don't expect any raises or opportunities for advancement, unless the upper management randomly picks you as the lucky one to come into their circle. The corporation is always talking publicly about how much they value their employees and yet we are stuck getting minimum wage, while being overworked with no increase in wages for overtime, even though we work overtime. The worst part is that you can't come to them with complaints, problems, or ideas, because you will be shut down. Don't call the Marcus Crisis Line! ... They don't help! I have seen too much discrimination, corruptness, and lack of care for my fellow employees and myself. I don't know how Marcus gets away with all of this. (This is my experience from my particular theatre anyway)

Advice to Management

I had no problems with the direct assistant managers, but to the upper management: try caring a little more about your employees. You wouldn't be sitting on your high seat if it wasn't for all of us working base-level with the customers.

2. "Dont care about employees"

Current Employee - Help Desk in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Help Desk in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Marcus Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Not too crazy about the hours you are supposed to work

Cons

Everything else. Managers dont care about your development. The don't really understand what the job requirements are.

Advice to Management

upper management needs to replace most of middle management with people that actually knows what they are doing

3. "Beware!"

Former Employee - Night Auditor in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Night Auditor in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Job security. As long as you don't steal, you're safe.

Cons

Watch less qualified people advance.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting "yes men." Just because they agree with you, doesn't mean they're/you're right/

4. "Front Office Agent"

I worked at Marcus Corporation full-time

Pros

Coworkers free lunch people and guests

Cons

low pay no weekends off stress

Advice to Management

Raises can keep employees from leaving and morale up

"Not a good work experience - Grand Geneva Resort & Spa"

I worked at Marcus Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A free cafeteria for employees was a nice perk.

Discounts for their other establishments was fantastic - dining, golf, ski, spa, hotel rooms, movies etc. Much appreciated.

Decent insurance benefits if you can keep your hours up - kinda pricey, but nice plans.

Cons

Very little to no training in many departments - a "fake it till you make it attitude"

Major micromanagement. Titles given and made up to appease employees, however there was absolutely no authority with any title other than manager or director (can't hire, interview, fire, write up etc) - however leads, supervisors etc. expected to make things work with no authority to do so.

No communication to lower level employees in many departments.

Sub-par pay. All lower level employees at this resort are underpaid (non-managerial positions). If you don't receive gratuities here it is extremely hard to make a living. The local McDonalds pays more than many of the positions - yeah, but we did not want to work at McDonalds, that is why we applied and were hired here.

Upper management focuses on the budget only - cutting out the extras that make this place an upper level hotel. This leaves employees to attempt to give 4 diamond service with nothing to do it with. This resort is beautiful, but old and many areas look very old, worn, outdated and broken down. Different areas often run out of products or just do without. This is something which is noticed by customers and mostly lower level employees have to deal with customer grumbling on this subject.

Hours and staff cut regularly, however management expects a team of 3 to give excellent customer service when at a minimum there should be a team of 5 in place.

Lower level employees not respected and are not valued. The HR department has a "well thats too bad" attitude with no attempt to change things or help.

Rules are for only a select employees. Not enforced equally across the resort. This is a huge problem that many employees are fully aware of yet cannot do anything about.

Bad employees kept over good employees even when said bad employees are disrupting the work place and making a miserable work environment for everyone else who was doing their job.

Advice to Management

Spend more time training staff to do whatever their particular job is to the best of their ability. Hold them to these standards and get rid of them if they don't. There are too many people who need work and will take their place.

Pay your employees according to honest industry standards - not the made up stuff that HR says is normal pay for a position. Their numbers are not accurate, by any stretch of the imagination.

Clean house. Get rid of employees who have multiple write ups for serious offenses. Listen to lower level employees and investigate what is really going on at this resort, in particular some of the people that multiple staff complain about. There has got to be a legitimate reason (that needs to be checked into) why 15 or more people are complaining about the same thing with the same person. Hire an outside service to do these things so that all of the "friends" and "lovers" in management won't continue to influence these decisions.

Spend some money to update the little things too and keep them updated in all of your buildings. Not just the main hotel. Many of the other out-buildings are worn out and look worn out. Your customers notice this.

Before you add on or build - talk to your lower level employees, especially the long term ones about what works and does not work in that department. THEY are your best resource, not some paid consultant. You have spent a lot of money in the past for things that make no sense and are of no use - if you had checked with lower level employees first you could have done something entirely different and had a more functional and useful space aka not wasted your money.

Don't give up on this resort. It is a beautiful place and the potential is grand.........but it is being neglected and it looks like it is.

"It used to be a great place to work..."

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

Pros

I was with Marcus Hotels for 13 years and it used to be a place where recognition and promotions for were possible. I became a manager and was recognized on their counsel as a 'future leader' of the company. I was on a fast track and I had the help of Sr. Management to help plan the route to promote my future success.

Cons

While all of the Pros are true, I can sadly say that the company is no longer like this. They went from being a family focused, 'we care about our team' company to a company who cares only about numbers. While I believe the success of a company is important so the numbers are as well, I believe in the development of your proven team members will lead to the company's future success as well as the culture in which the company was founded, by Ben Marcus, whom I had the pleasure of meeting. The upper leadership has sadly become a boys club where the managers at property level that are getting promoted are those who hardly put in any effort let alone make intelligent decisions. The Sr. Management who still tried to withhold the culture which the company was founded are no longer there and it shows. Having thought I would retire from the company, I am truly saddened by the way in which the company is currently run.

Advice to Management

Go back to the basics. Recreate the culture which Ben Marcus founded the company back to the first Big Boy and the first hotel. Value your employees who have been with you for years and who have a proven track record; develop them. Remove the 'frat boy, boys club' management that is currently in place and actually get to know the personality and morals of the managers who are running your departments and hotels; recognize talent. Go back to empowering your employees and standing behind their decisions. Spend time at the properties and not just during the holidays when you send the hotels into a temporary uproar; get to know your employees (Ben & Celia Marcus actually knew me by name). In the book Good To Great, they say that it's not about having people on your bus, but having the RIGHT people on your bus... sadly, you have pushed out a lot of the right people in efforts to choose the people who are bullies and are part of this boys club which has been developed with upper management and managers at property level; these are not the RIGHT people.