Marcus Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Marcus Corporation CEO and Director Gregory S. Marcus
Gregory S. Marcus

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "not an awesome place to work...upper management loses sight of what's actually important"

Pros

worldwide hotel discounts, meal discounts, some of the people (in non-management positions)

Cons

everyone seems to be out for themselves...not a very team-oriented environment

Advice to Management

get rid of the managers who are micromanaging the properties into the ground

"Can be a great place to make money (tip-wise) but the upper management doesn't care about their employees."

Current Employee - Anonymous in Lake Geneva, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Lake Geneva, WI

I have been working at Marcus Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great staff to work with. There can be some awesome comradery amongst departments.

Cons

Specifically, the Grand Geneva Resort and Spa can be a great place to make tips as an employee, but, the management could care less about their workers. Benefits were drastically cut (health insurance qualifications were raised to unrealistic minimums) and facilities are in need of repairs and updating. The men and women in charge of this company are merely there to make a quick buck but don't put the effort in to maintaining and successfully running their businesses.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. Spend time in your properties and outlets. Have a heart.

3. "We need to be set up for success!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Geneva, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Geneva, WI

I have been working at Marcus Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Beautiful property (when maintained properly).Great co-workers and a sense of family.They really are the reason that I still work here.

Cons

Departments are constantly understaffed and underequipped. How are supposed to produce spectacular events when we don't have the tools to do so? Something as simple as matching silverware would help tremendously!

Another thing, allow your employees a chance to maintain their eligibility for insurance. Every year, most of the hourly employees, especially in restaurants, lose their health insurance because their hours are cut or they are told to leave early in order to control payroll. Have a heart.

Advice to Management

Quit worrying about your bonuses so much and care more about your employees. Try to point out the good that people are doing and not just nitpick the bad. We are all human and deserve to be treated as such. No one likes constant negative feedback. Praise goes a long way and often boosts performance, eliminating negative behavior.

"Horrific management caused by a company that seems to be desperate to cut costs no matter what the effect."

Current Employee - Banquet Server
    Current Employee - Banquet Server

I have been working at Marcus Corporation part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I liked being part of a union...it prevented this company from completely taking advantage of me as they do to almost all of their employees who are not corporate.

Cons

Management will use employees to fill positions as needed and then fire people when they are no longer needed in a certain position (not an exaggeration...I have seen is happen to multiple people). None of the corporate employees are in tune to the actual operations of any of their hotels. Whenever any corporate workers were around me, the attitude that they sent off was an extremely rude "better than you" attitude. Corporate employees are so concerned with making money and cutting costs that they fail to actually notice major problems within their hotels. Unfortunately the entire corporation is run by people with little common sense and minimal eduction. Human resources department is a joke on both the hotel and corporate level...they are unable to solve any problems whatsoever and care more about making it to lunch on time than listening to their employees' concerns.

Advice to Management

Have some respect for the people that work below you....we aren't all as stupid as you think. Actually listen to some of your employees' complaints instead of trying to come up with an easy and quick solution. Stop trying to cut costs at every corner. Go back to school because 90% of the people I have dealt with on the management/corporate level come off as extremely uneducated and ignorant to the realities unfolding around them. Could be a great company if it was run properly and not with money as the first priority.

5. "Ran away"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mumbai (India)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mumbai (India)

I have been working at Marcus Corporation part-time

Pros

Marcus corporation ran away with all money of the investor.headoffice is at wakad pune.so guys dont invest your money in marcus corporation

Cons

Same as above.................nothing to say about this chor company

Advice to Management

No advice just give us out money which we have invested in marcus corporation

6. "Beware!"

Former Employee - Night Auditor in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Night Auditor in Milwaukee, WI

Pros

Job security. As long as you don't steal, you're safe.

Cons

Watch less qualified people advance.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting "yes men." Just because they agree with you, doesn't mean they're/you're right/

7. "Dont care about employees"

Current Employee - Help Desk in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Help Desk in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Marcus Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Not too crazy about the hours you are supposed to work

Cons

Everything else. Managers dont care about your development. The don't really understand what the job requirements are.

Advice to Management

upper management needs to replace most of middle management with people that actually knows what they are doing

8. "Underpaid, Understaffed, and Overworked"

Current Employee - Vendor in La Crosse, WI
    Current Employee - Vendor in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Marcus Corporation part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have worked at Marcus for almost a year, and I just put my two weeks in. The staff I worked along side was the best. They seem to hire all of the best people, from high school to college aged students. It is a fun environment to work in, and there are some nice movie-seeing benefits. You + 1 guest get to a see a free movie every week, and dollar passes for every 12 hours worked. Lots of competitions to keep you motivated. I stayed with Marcus so long because of my great coworkers, the movie benefits, and also the flexible scheduling!

Cons

The upper management (general managers and corporate) don't care about their employees. They are only concerned with profit. There is no consistency, things are constantly changing and there never seems to be any order or good reasoning to their actions. If you win competitions, don't expect your prizes unless you pester the upper management about it. Expect your shifts to be cut, or to be sent home early. On Thanksgiving we were jipped of our time and a half because we were sent on 45 minute breaks so that they could cutback on payroll. If i'm sacrificing my Thanksgiving to work, I think I deserve the time and half. The entire time I have worked at Marcus, I have heard they are trying to cut back on payroll. Also, don't expect any raises or opportunities for advancement, unless the upper management randomly picks you as the lucky one to come into their circle. The corporation is always talking publicly about how much they value their employees and yet we are stuck getting minimum wage, while being overworked with no increase in wages for overtime, even though we work overtime. The worst part is that you can't come to them with complaints, problems, or ideas, because you will be shut down. Don't call the Marcus Crisis Line! ... They don't help! I have seen too much discrimination, corruptness, and lack of care for my fellow employees and myself. I don't know how Marcus gets away with all of this. (This is my experience from my particular theatre anyway)

Advice to Management

I had no problems with the direct assistant managers, but to the upper management: try caring a little more about your employees. You wouldn't be sitting on your high seat if it wasn't for all of us working base-level with the customers.

"Not a good work experience - Grand Geneva Resort & Spa"

I worked at Marcus Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A free cafeteria for employees was a nice perk.

Discounts for their other establishments was fantastic - dining, golf, ski, spa, hotel rooms, movies etc. Much appreciated.

Decent insurance benefits if you can keep your hours up - kinda pricey, but nice plans.

Cons

Very little to no training in many departments - a "fake it till you make it attitude"

Major micromanagement. Titles given and made up to appease employees, however there was absolutely no authority with any title other than manager or director (can't hire, interview, fire, write up etc) - however leads, supervisors etc. expected to make things work with no authority to do so.

No communication to lower level employees in many departments.

Sub-par pay. All lower level employees at this resort are underpaid (non-managerial positions). If you don't receive gratuities here it is extremely hard to make a living. The local McDonalds pays more than many of the positions - yeah, but we did not want to work at McDonalds, that is why we applied and were hired here.

Upper management focuses on the budget only - cutting out the extras that make this place an upper level hotel. This leaves employees to attempt to give 4 diamond service with nothing to do it with. This resort is beautiful, but old and many areas look very old, worn, outdated and broken down. Different areas often run out of products or just do without. This is something which is noticed by customers and mostly lower level employees have to deal with customer grumbling on this subject.

Hours and staff cut regularly, however management expects a team of 3 to give excellent customer service when at a minimum there should be a team of 5 in place.

Lower level employees not respected and are not valued. The HR department has a "well thats too bad" attitude with no attempt to change things or help.

Rules are for only a select employees. Not enforced equally across the resort. This is a huge problem that many employees are fully aware of yet cannot do anything about.

Bad employees kept over good employees even when said bad employees are disrupting the work place and making a miserable work environment for everyone else who was doing their job.

Advice to Management

Spend more time training staff to do whatever their particular job is to the best of their ability. Hold them to these standards and get rid of them if they don't. There are too many people who need work and will take their place.

Pay your employees according to honest industry standards - not the made up stuff that HR says is normal pay for a position. Their numbers are not accurate, by any stretch of the imagination.

Clean house. Get rid of employees who have multiple write ups for serious offenses. Listen to lower level employees and investigate what is really going on at this resort, in particular some of the people that multiple staff complain about. There has got to be a legitimate reason (that needs to be checked into) why 15 or more people are complaining about the same thing with the same person. Hire an outside service to do these things so that all of the "friends" and "lovers" in management won't continue to influence these decisions.

Spend some money to update the little things too and keep them updated in all of your buildings. Not just the main hotel. Many of the other out-buildings are worn out and look worn out. Your customers notice this.

Before you add on or build - talk to your lower level employees, especially the long term ones about what works and does not work in that department. THEY are your best resource, not some paid consultant. You have spent a lot of money in the past for things that make no sense and are of no use - if you had checked with lower level employees first you could have done something entirely different and had a more functional and useful space aka not wasted your money.

Don't give up on this resort. It is a beautiful place and the potential is grand.........but it is being neglected and it looks like it is.

10. "Front Office Agent"

I worked at Marcus Corporation full-time

Pros

Coworkers free lunch people and guests

Cons

low pay no weekends off stress

Advice to Management

Raises can keep employees from leaving and morale up