Marcus Theatres Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bruce J Olson

Pros
  • I loved the fact that I could see free movies while working there (in 59 reviews)

• Free movie passes and free popcorn (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Everything at Marcus was good other than working til 11 while I'm still in high school and getting minimum wage (in 16 reviews)

• Low pay, especially for those under 18 (in 12 reviews)

1. "Concessions, Usher, Cashier"

Current Employee - Employee in Green Bay, WI
    Current Employee - Employee in Green Bay, WI

I have been working at Marcus Theatres part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great workplace, Flexible scheduling, Great friendly vibe, great pay

Cons

Not really any major cons I can think of.

"Over-worked, high turnover, disorganized management, but also social and sometimes fun."

Former Employee - Food Runner and Server in Sun Prairie, WI
    Former Employee - Food Runner and Server in Sun Prairie, WI

I worked at Marcus Theatres part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay on Fridays, Saturday's, Tuesday's, and big premiers for servers. Fast/paced, fun, high energy, social. My co-workers made the job. When they all quit due to poor management, there wasn't really a reason for me to stay.

Cons

Constantly called in on days off, high pressure to work overtime, guilted for taking short breaks when working plus 10 hours on feet, extremely high turnover rate, disorganized management, inconsistent and outrageous scheduling,

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better. I couldn't emphasize this enough. The key to costumer satisfaction is a satisfied employee.

3. "Good experience, looks nice on resume."

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Gurnee, IL
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Gurnee, IL

I have been working at Marcus Theatres full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work with people, lots of customer contact. I enjoy the freedom and the ability to resolve conflict. Every day presents new challenges.

Cons

Overbearing at times, some difficult customers. The end of the night is stressful because often times you are the only one handling a lot of responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Could do with a second person closing money on busy days.

"Stay away, treats employees terribly"

Former Employee - Associate in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Marcus Theatres full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free movies, co workers are great.

Cons

At my location pay is given out based on favoritistm. Recently Both the employees and managers were all given raised at the wehrenberg location that i worked at. When marcus took over we were all given raises,all of ours were generally based on time worked there but the managers were given out based on favoritism. There are a few assistant managers making significantly more than the rest with no basis. None of them perform any duties that the rest dont. In fact, the ones making less do more than the ones making more, the employees see who works the most and who puts in the effort.

on another note, everyones hours were cut because the marcus payroll budget is zero and they expect to run large theaters with 3 people. Even when we get hours we get send home early. Not a good place to work for anyone looking for any type of fair work enviornment or decent hours.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring people if we cant schedule the ones we have to meet payroll, be fair when giving raises.

Corporate office- they dont know how to run a theater. They dont understnad our theaters arent setup to run with little to no staff. We have no selfserve setup like current marcus theaters do. Maybe adjust payroll until the coming remodels allow us to run with less staff. I left because i needed a job that could offer consistant part time hours and not be scheduled 2 shifts a week then get sent home 2 hours in.

5. "Many cons"

Former Employee - Shift Leader in Mequon, WI
    Former Employee - Shift Leader in Mequon, WI

I worked at Marcus Theatres part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I never really made use of the free movies, but this is a perk for many.
    At the Mequon location, there are friendly staff members.
    Very flexible with scheduling, but not on holidays.

Cons

I don't think this is a job for minors because you will work very late on school nights. At the same time, this isn't a job for adults because its wages are heavily out-competed by other companies. I would not suggest working here. You start on minimum wage and there are very little opportunities for raises and career growth.

The environment is very stressful. With long hours, a busy environment, and a very rude customer base, it's easy for this establishment to get to your head. This job is not for the light-hearted.

However, this likely rings true with most starter jobs. It's not the worst place to work.

Tuesday is hell. If you work during the day, you will likely be understaffed.

Recently, less hours and less staff means higher stress and less reward.

Advice to Management

No advice to management, as they are simply doing what they are told from corporate.

6. "Good for high school students; good first job"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menomonee Falls, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Menomonee Falls, WI

I worked at Marcus Theatres part-time

Pros

You get free popcorn, soda, and movies which is nice because you can bring your friends. Generally get the hours you ask for and generally are gracious with time off requests if you do it enough ahead of time.

Cons

Very long hours for not a great pay rate, management can sometimes not do the greatest at planning things out, working on Tuesdays is terrible

Advice to Management

Try to make a more
    concrete and consistent system. The employees will appreciate it.

7. "Fun employees but the company seems to care more about profit than their lower level employees"

Former Employee - Server in Brookfield, WI
    Former Employee - Server in Brookfield, WI

I worked at Marcus Theatres part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible hours for employees at the lower level. Lots of opportunity to move up from where you start

Cons

Company seems to care more about their profit margin than their employess or quality of service

8. "Not worth it."

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Appleton, WI
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Appleton, WI

I worked at Marcus Theatres full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only good thing about working here was the free movies and popcorn. The people that work there were great, and I think our location was the only one that had problems like we did.

Cons

Management does not care about employees. Minors would work til 3 am on a school night because a big movie came out. They claim to have family values, but the only family they care about is their own.

Advice to Management

Stick to the founder's values. The ones that you have posted all over the building.

9. "Decent Business"

Former Employee - Usher, Cashier, Box Office Associate in Chicago Heights, IL
    Former Employee - Usher, Cashier, Box Office Associate in Chicago Heights, IL

Pros

Free movie passes and free popcorn. I got to come through with my family a few times but the manager was stuck up and didn't consider peoples time.

Cons

No work life balance between the two.

10. "Line cook"

Current Employee - Line Cook in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Line Cook in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Marcus Theatres part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Positive work environment, fast paced

Cons

Management and other employees need to know what they are doing