Marcus & Millichap "100 commission" Reviews | Glassdoor

Marcus & Millichap Employee Reviews about "100 commission"

Updated Oct 10, 2019

3.5
Marcus & Millichap CEO Hessam Nadji
Hessam Nadji
Pros
  • "Great training program and good for building connections in the CRE industry for wherever you may end up(in 40 reviews)

• "Large network of dedicated brokers(in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • "Splits for entry level brokers on teams are too small(in 57 reviews)

• "hard to work with 100% commission(in 21 reviews)

Reviews about "100 commission"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Much better with new Regional Manager"

Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Marcus & Millichap full-time for more than a year

Pros

Learn the business from the ground up. Great training platform. Showed me exactly what I needed to do to succeed.

Cons

100% commission, but everyone knows that coming in. I'll make more money in my first 24 months than I did in the last 4 years

Advice to Management

More interaction between the Dallas office and Fort Worth office

Marcus & Millichap2019-10-10

"commercial real estate broker"

Current Employee - Associate in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Marcus & Millichap full-time for less than a year

Pros

unlimited commision. Ability to build your own schedule

Cons

hard to work with 100% commission

Marcus & Millichap2019-09-05

"Some good players but greedy and unethical management"

I worked at Marcus & Millichap full-time

Pros

if you are lucky enough to land in a fully supported office, on a well established team with great market share they will flog 250+ cold calls out of you at minimum every week, then you might get 25% of what you produce. Some folks have done very well in this environment. Not all the agents there are as bad as the management, but if you work with people like that long enough, it will start to rub off on you.

Cons

Greedy unethical management. Even by 100% commission standards, this place makes it tougher than most, since they establish no territories and someone in CA can be calling on your clients in NJ trying to steal them. I had another MM office make an unsolicited offer to our client the day they knew we were signing a listing agreement, trying to scam us out of a listing. Bait and switch recruiting practices. ... Juvenile alpha male wannabe environment - totally darwinian. Don't believe anything they tell you in recruitment. Unless you are driven and greedy and willing to do just about anything to make money, this is probably not for you. Don't expect anyone to look out for you - dog eat dog is a good day. Hands in your pocket everywhere you turn. Very outdated prospecting methods - downright 70's in outlook and approach. They think they are the vanguard of tech development but they have workshops on how to use your financial calculator to make money -- for real !! Totally dependent on the boiler room cold calling model. One size fits all. If you are a typical frat boy right out of school and have the desire to crush the competition, run over your grandma to make a buck - this is the place for you. But don't forget one thing - whatever you produce, your team leader will be siphoning off a good portion of what the mothership doesn't claim.

Advice to Management

They are immune to advice. They are more like a cult than a company. Very little diversity in the ranks. Nasty place to work. Nasty people running the show. Any sensible person would choose to work elsewhere, as long as they aren't scammed into believing empty recruitment promises. garbage software. I expect the stock to sink.

Marcus & Millichap2018-10-23
  4. "Associate"

I worked at Marcus & Millichap full-time

Pros

Great training program and mentor program

Cons

Tough to get started and 100% commission based pay

Marcus & Millichap2018-10-09
  5. "Oversight to the RE Brokerage Industry"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Marcus & Millichap

Pros

Get to work directly with senior management, oversight to deals that are taking place, opportunities after internship for full-time job.

Cons

Pay for RE Brokerage is 100% commission and is not for everyone.

Marcus & Millichap2018-10-04

"Investment Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Investment Sales Associate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at Marcus & Millichap full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A good training program heavy in sales tactics, strategies and negotiations. If you make it long enough, you will also learn how to underwrite assets and understand all the dynamics of commercial real estate investment sales. Income can reach 7 figures - no joke.

Cons

This is a boiler room environment with a very long deal cycle, and it’s 100% commission (with some exceptions). Over 90% of the people who attempt this career, fail. Let me break that down for you. You better be able to do the following: Have enough money to live on for a minimum 18 months but would be best to have 2 years worth. Be 100% committed and able to make 100 prospecting calls a day, everyday, week-in... and week-out for at least your first two years. Don’t kid yourself about this. You will fail and waste a ton of time and money if you don’t do this. There’s no gaming the system here. CRE deals take a lot of time and they die frequently. That means the sweet deal that took you 6 months to list, and another 6-12 months to get in contract has a high likelihood of falling apart. You were counting on that big check to keep you going and now it’s dead. Now you see why you need major savings to make this all happen? Be prepared to work 12+ hours a day. Again, not a joke. If this bothers you, don’t even think about applying here. You will be placed with a senior broker who will act as your mentor and help you get deals done. However, be very very selective about who you choose. The wrong mentor can completely screw your career path here. Don’t just pick them based on their title and production volume. Some of the biggest guys have no idea how to mentor others and will treat you very poorly. Also, the contract between you and your mentor will be sold to you as very good for you. It’s not. It’s highly skewed in the favor of the mentor (because he’s devoting so much time to your development - yeah right). Let me explain further. You’re struggling to survive and put some cash in the bank but your mentor takes in the lions share of commission from your deals, even though he’s already rich. It’s not right and don’t let them BS you into thinking it is. Here are some real examples from my deals: a.) I made $30K and my mentor made $120K on my deal which took almost 2 years to get done. b.) I worked almost all my mentors deals for him which means fielding calls, taking buyers on tours, reading and analyzing leases, and countless other things. I’d make $3K while he made $150-$250K. The other factor to remember about your mentorship and this firm is that they keep the relationships you build. Every proposal/valuation is tracked and followed up on. Deals you spent months or years developing end up being sold by your mentor when you’re gone. The senior brokers here have a very sweet thing going on. Lastly, management can be good or bad depending on which office you’re at. Regardless, they will always favor the senior brokers, which makes sense. You must approach this business as a complete professional and hold yourself very accountable. If you don’t act like an adult here, you will be treated like a child. So should you give it a shot? For some it’s life changing and dream making. Only you can know if you’re cut out for it. Good luck!

Advice to Management

You have the makings of a great company but how you develop new brokers needs to be reconsidered. You’re spending tremendous time and resources on training and space but losing 90% of these guys. Yes, some are just not cut out for it but you’ve lost many who would have been outstanding brokers and generated substantially for the firm. Think about paying a decent salary ($50K+) while your new people ramp up. Treat... them as professionals and educate them on the whole CRE landscape - develop them into elite deal makers and consultants - you have all the resources. Make the splits better for new guys. They’re the ones who need the money to keep going. Overall, consider what such a culture shift would do for how people feel about working here. Consider what reducing a 90% attrition rate to 40% would look like in new revenue.

Marcus & Millichap2018-09-02
  7. "Associate Broker"

I worked at Marcus & Millichap full-time

Pros

they offer extensive training and they provide you with a mentor

Cons

100% commission depending on the team you pick. you have to buy everything you'd need at your desk (computer, keyboards, mouse, pens, paper, etc.) you also start to feel like just a number with amount of turnover in firm. a lot of internal competition as well as external.

Marcus & Millichap2018-08-16
  8. "Flexible Work Schedule, Supportive Management"

Current Contractor - Associate in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Marcus & Millichap for more than a year

Pros

- You have the ability to set your own work schedule - There is no upward limit on the amount of money that you can earn - Excellent training program - Firm provides the software you need to get your business started - Supportive environment for women. I am currently 8 months pregnant and though I am currently the only female broker in the office, my regional manager (RM), business partners, and colleagues have... been extremely supportive of me in my pregnancy. When I asked for six weeks maternity leave, the RM suggested that I may want to take 3-4 months instead. Everyone has been very understanding and supportive of my need to start working part-time from home now and I have not felt any discrimination at all from anyone in the office. Though it is definitely a predominantly male environment, my colleagues are gentlemen.

Cons

- Compensation is 100% commission-based and it takes time to build your business. (I did not get my first check until my 13th month; 9-12 months is typical.)

Advice to Management

Continue your trend of increasing the diversity in the office. Target more recruiting toward women: the flexible schedules, high earning potential, and client-based work environment would be very attractive job attributes for many women.

Marcus & Millichap2017-04-10
  9. "Investment associate"

I have been working at Marcus & Millichap full-time

Pros

Lots of flexibility, you pick your schedule

Cons

100% commission, so feast or famine

Marcus & Millichap2017-02-15
  10. "Broker Associate"

I worked at Marcus & Millichap

Pros

Informative training and potential to make as much money as you want

Cons

100% commission, boiler room type of office

Marcus & Millichap2016-10-11