Marcus & Millichap Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Marcus & Millichap CEO Hessam Nadji
Hessam Nadji

Pros
Cons
  • The first year you will not make any money, but after that you will be en route to CONSISTENTLY make (in 10 reviews)

• If you work for just one agent you get absolutely no benefits (in 15 reviews)

1. "Marcus and Millichap review"

Former Employee - Commercial Real Estate Broker in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Commercial Real Estate Broker in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Marcus & Millichap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can make a whole lot of money if you work hard and are a part of a good team of brokers.

Cons

You need to put in a lot of work at the beginning building up a client base and getting to know owners before you start to make any money.
    A lot of cold calling is required ~150-250 calls per week to property owners and prospective buyers

2. "WORDS OF WISDOM: Set Boundaries"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Marcus & Millichap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some incredible people (and characters) in that place. I worked with some truly incredible humans and learned a ton of valuable information. If you work hard, you earn respect and that respect can manifest itself in quite a few delightful ways.

Cons

Commercial real estate is a tough gig and those agents rely on strong deals to go through -- some agents close deals every week, some close one a year, some longer. That level of stress trickles down and, while a staff member might not necessarily be dependent on an agent's deal to go through, the agents will inevitably make you feel that way and that each request made is of dire import. So -- word to those who are applying -- have a thick skin, a strong spine and be comfortable kindly setting realistic boundaries. Otherwise, it's a slippery slope to 80-hour work weeks.

Advice to Management

The Regional Manager is a great manager who cares about what's happening, what people are doing and what people want. I appreciated his willingness to work with versus over. I know he saw me turn from pleaser to glutton-for-punishment and he brought it up to me that I needed to set better boundaries, but that conversation happened a bit too late and the agents railroaded me. I'd like to think that was a warning sign for him to, in the future, watch closely how agents are treating the staff. Agents will continue to burn employees out, otherwise.

"Director of Operations"

Former Employee - Director of Operations in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Director of Operations in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Marcus & Millichap full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great title & looks great on resume

Cons

Honestly, everything.
    Never have I ever been treated so poorly in a work environment. I was set up for failure. Not only was I miserable, EVERYONE in the office was. During my six months here a total of FIVE people got let go. This office (Fort Worth) has a TERRIBLE retention rate. Everyone there walks on egg shells and nobody is happy. Upper management makes it impossible for you to succeed by setting you up for failure from day one. Want a positive work environment? Not for you. Want a good relationship with your boss and other's within the company? Not for you. Want to feel appreciated? Not for you. Want good pay? Not for you.

Advice to Management

Corporate needs to step in. Not only did we cycle through multiple regional managers, we cycled through all employees. It's ridiculous.

5. "Great Company!"

Former Employee - Database Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Database Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Marcus & Millichap (Less than a year)

Pros

Get into training and you will succeed.

Cons

Stay out of training and you will fail

Advice to Management

Train Everyone.

6. "Good place"

Former Employee - Commercial Real Estate Brokerage Intern in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Commercial Real Estate Brokerage Intern in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Marcus & Millichap (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Pay was not fantastic as an intern

7. "It is what it is"

Current Employee - Associate in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Associate in Miami, FL

I have been working at Marcus & Millichap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

"unlimited" potential income, choose your own hours, nice office. Great training program.

Cons

Negative dollars in your pocket until a deal is closed. (I had to purchase my own computer, software, and pay $1000 for training).

Commission and mentorship structure is not designed to nurture new talent, it diminishes the income of newcomers, lines the pockets of mentors, and leaves a database worth of work in the hands of people to whom your success matters little.

Its extremely difficult to succeed. (they do tell you that when you interview though)

If you can do it then congrats, but if you have any doubt then this isn't for you.

Advice to Management

Basic pay for the first year is a must for talent retention.

Don't make people decide their markets, product types, and mentors all on the same day.

8. "Commercial Broker"

Former Employee - Associate Broker in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Associate Broker in Houston, TX

I worked at Marcus & Millichap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Additional training is very good

Cons

Management takes large cut of earnings

Advice to Management

Need better compensation splits to hard working people

9. "Associate"

Current Employee - Associate in Ontario, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in Ontario, CA

I have been working at Marcus & Millichap full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I would like to start by saying I love working for Marcus & Millichap.
    Next I would like to address the negative comments made about the firm. I see people complain about no salary, no benefits, and the amount of work you're supposed to put in. And I ask what did you expect when you decided to start your own business? You’re ultimately responsible for your own success or failures. This is not a career that you start at 9 and leave by 5. And if that’s what you want, this isn’t the right place for you.

I also seen someone state that the cons are that people are hobby-less, cutthroat, and unpleasant. I’m not sure why you joined the firm, but I joined to make money. My whole entire life right now is focused on earning enough income to where I can retire in 5 years. I’ll pick up hobbies then, but for now my focus is on $$$ and helping my clients protect and grow their wealth.

When I see anyone bad mouth the company it drives me insane. Working for M&M for me is like stumbling on a pot of gold. If you have the drive, will power, and tough skin you’re going to be fine. This is not a business for the faint of heart and you will be tested daily.
    IE Steve

Cons

I’ll just say as a new agent make sure to interview with multiple seniors. Also, ask others about their reputations in the firm. Picking the wrong senior can have a devastating effect on your career.

Advice to Management

Nothing in my life has ever been easy, but I wouldn't mind getting a lead. ^_^

10. "Great place to start, not necessarily to stay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Marcus & Millichap full-time

Pros

young, energetic and motivated colleagues, formalized processes to make learning the business easier, trained support staff, professional office setting

Cons

masculine paternalistic office culture, not a very friendly environment for females, commission splits not favorable to agents, very traditional office attire required

"A nightmare"

Former Employee - Associate in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Associate in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Marcus & Millichap full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Find out real quick if you can handle business development cold calls or not

Cons

Snakes everywhere
    Sales managers actively sabotage your deals
    Other agents especially seniors will steal deals from you

Advice to Management

There is no management here. It is the Wild West the sooner you recognize that the better