Maricopa Community Colleges Reviews | Glassdoor

Maricopa Community Colleges Reviews

Updated Feb 25, 2020

3.5
Maricopa Community Colleges Chancellor Maria Harper-Marinick (no image)
Maria Harper-Marinick
Pros
  • "Great people, great benefits, easy going environment(in 12 reviews)

• "Access to professional growth funds after 6 months, paid time off, leadership training(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "Hard to get in a full-time permanent position(in 12 reviews)

• "No benefits except the ability to attend training(in 6 reviews)

1. "It is one of the largest Community Colleges in the US"

I have been working at Maricopa Community Colleges

Pros

It has good health care benefits

Cons

Advancement in the company no very good

Maricopa Community Colleges2019-06-05
  2. "Used to be great"

Current Employee - Laboratory Supervisor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Maricopa Community Colleges full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Benefits are decent if you don't have a family.

Cons

If you weren't hired under the old pay structure, don't waste your time. No raises, no advancement, complete opacity with regards to pay placement for new hires, they WILL low-ball your offer based on "budgetary reasons" that fall outside of the established "pay placement procedures". And won't tell you that on your offer, so you don't really *know* if you're getting what you deserve.

Maricopa Community Colleges2020-02-25
  3. "The Reason I Left Teaching and Decided to Work in Industry"

Former Employee - Adjunct Faculty

I worked at Maricopa Community Colleges part-time

Pros

On the bright side, only a third of my students were absolutely horrible to teach and at least I got paid something, even though it was less than minimum wage! In all seriousness, the other Adjunct Faculty were reasonable to work with, since we were all in the same boat.

Cons

Summary: Terrible pay, no benefits or job security, and unethical supervisors. I had previously taught at four universities (two in the US and two abroad), so I was very familiar with the pros and cons of teaching. But, what I experienced while teaching for Maricopa Community Colleges was far beyond my worst nightmare. Even though I was offered the job in May, I wasn't informed of my teaching assignment until the week prior to the start of the semester in August. It is nearly impossible to prepare for a semester of teaching in under a week, but the full-time faculty reassured me that it wouldn't be too difficult since the curriculum for my two sections of the science lab was already in place. However, the curriculum that was claimed to exist was in shambles (e.g. factually incorrect information, missing worksheets, broken internet links, and no answer keys) and the full-time faculty didn't think it was their responsibility to create a proper curriculum for the course. Therefore, I was left with the task of creating a curriculum from scratch, since it would have been more time-consuming to reverse engineer the old one. My part-time job had became a full-time job, but without the pay and benefits. I only got paid $5610 for the whole semester, so I actually received less than minimum wage if calculated on an hourly basis. At the beginning of the semester the full-time faculty and the chair of the department made it very clear that, per college policy, students needed to be withdrawn from the course if they received too many absences. I included the information in my syllabus, I stressed the consequences of excessive absences when I went over the syllabus on the first day of class, and I enforced the policy. When a student complained to the dean that she had been withdrawn from my course for excessive absences and didn't know why, I was called into the dean's office. The dean told me that the student claimed attendance wasn't required and that she never received a syllabus. I explained the situation and showed the dean the syllabus. The dean said that I couldn't prove that I provided a syllabus to the class, because I didn't have students sign a paper attesting to the fact that they had received the syllabus, so she couldn't take my work for it. Even though college policy, the student handbook, and my syllabus all stated that attendance was required and that students would be withdrawn for missing too many classes, the dean decided to reinstate the student because I did not have this student's signature! When I asked the dean what would happen to other students who had also been withdrawn for excessive absences, the dean told me that they wouldn't be reinstated since they didn't complain. At the end of the semester, some students falsely claimed that I was biased against them in the grading. So I was required to submit final grades a full week before they were due and to give all graded assignments to the chair of the department to verify that everything was in order. I worked extra hard to comply with the requirement and because there was grading controversy, I wanted to discuss with the chair of the department how much the grades should be curved. After the chair of the department approved of the curve both verbally and via email, I submitted the final grades online. Later, I checked the final grades to make sure they had all been posted correctly and I discovered that the chair of the department had listed himself as an instructor for the course and had raised all grades of C and lower by one letter grade. I also discovered that faculty give out extra credit to students who fill out course evaluations. One student of mine requested that I raise his grade by one letter in exchange for a positive course evaluation. Strangely enough, the students and faculty that I talked to didn't think this was a violation of ethics or an act of bribery.

Maricopa Community Colleges2020-02-24
  4. "Time off can't be beat"

Current Employee - Grants

I have been working at Maricopa Community Colleges full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nice coworkers. Time off is extremely generous.

Cons

Hard to get in a full-time permanent position. It's higher ed, so it's slow & bureaucratic. Can take forever to get things done.

Maricopa Community Colleges2019-11-05

"Good place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Maricopa Community Colleges full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work-life balance, vacation time, employees seem to care about students

Cons

Senior management used to care about project management, but they have recently (late 2018-2019) abandoned much of that and rely too much on contractors now for IT-related tasks.

Maricopa Community Colleges2019-10-31
  6. "Administrators protecting each other"

Pros

Cons

Keeping administrators around that know little about the areas that they manage because "they're close to retiring", being bullied by my supervisor for over a year

Maricopa Community Colleges2019-10-29
  7. "Great environment to work"

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Maricopa Community Colleges part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Students are committed, staff is nice, you do have the support necessarily even as a part-timer.

Cons

very little changes to get higher full-time.

Maricopa Community Colleges2019-09-13
  8. "ACE Plus Early Childhood Specialist"

Former Employee - Early Childhood Specialist in Chandler, AZ

I worked at Maricopa Community Colleges full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

-Good company -several opportunities for advancement if you move between the colleges associated with MCCCD.

Cons

-Low pay -Heavy caseload. I was expected to service 152 students, while my coworker had a caseload of 16. When the supervisor asked my coworker to help, she would do the minimal possible and find an excuse to leave.

Maricopa Community Colleges2019-08-25
  9. "Great People"

Current Employee - Student Services Specialist in Tempe, AZ

Pros

Great people, great benefits, easy going environment.

Cons

Pay doesn't reflect the employer and things take a long time to happen such as pay increase or work place changes.

Maricopa Community Colleges2019-08-15
  10. "not bad but not for everyone"

Former Employee - Math Tutor

I worked at Maricopa Community Colleges part-time for more than a year

Pros

chill job to work at.

Cons

too little hours and low pay

Maricopa Community Colleges2019-07-19

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 120 reviews