Maricopa County Arizona Attorney's Office Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 11, 2019

2.4

"Deputy County Attorney"

Current Employee - Deputy County Attorney

I have been working at Maricopa County Arizona Attorney's Office full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Fast-paced, interesting work environment, excellent training program, numerous resources available to equip staff to serve the community at the highest level. Attorneys are in court daily, able to build negotiation and litigation skills. Plentiful opportunities for career development with numerous specialty bureaus to explore legal interests. Most importantly, you have the ability to make a difference in your community.

Cons

This job can be stressful and is not a good fit for people that are not motivated to learn and work hard or that don't have good organizational skills. Public service pays less than the private sector.

Maricopa County Arizona Attorney's Office2016-01-06

"Worst work culture imaginable"

Current Employee - Deputy County Attorney

Pros

Chance to do big cases and make a name for yourself. Pay is terrible but benefits are out of this world.

Cons

Management had their brains crystallized in 1981. Constant additional admin nonsense used to justify their existence. Anyone with any talents leaves as quickly as possible. Those only ones who stay are the ones who couldn't get out. They give zero help to anyone who wants to get out either. Want to be a judge? An ASUA? Do it covertly because no one in management will stick up for you.

Maricopa County Arizona Attorney's Office2019-09-11
  3. "Good pay but no direction"

Current Employee - Detective

I have been working at Maricopa County Arizona Attorney's Office full-time

Pros

Good pay and benefits packages.

Cons

Management does not know their employees skills and misdeploy their assets. A lot of infighting at the upper levels.

Maricopa County Arizona Attorney's Office2019-07-03
  4. "Calm and organized place to work - at least my department"

Current Employee - Legal Support Clerk, Senior in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Maricopa County Arizona Attorney's Office full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stable department (at least, mine) with content co-workers. Management (again, for this dept) is basically hands-off and isn't micromanaging me, which is appreciated.

Cons

Terrible pay with very small merit increases, but that is the nature of governmental work at the lower tiers.

Advice to Management

Don't encourage "new ideas" and then castigate initiative.

Maricopa County Arizona Attorney's Office2019-06-20

"Stay away from the Civil Litigation Division"

Former Employee - Assistant in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Maricopa County Arizona Attorney's Office full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good benefits, decent pay, (somewhat) job security, transfer ability.

Cons

Upper management is very cliquish and they all cover for each other. There is a lot of backstabbing and gossiping which at times can be relentless. The entire department is toxic and ran by people that have no idea what it takes to be a manager. If you come in and do your job, keep your head down and your mouth shut, you should be fine. If you speak up and try to suggest any changes, you may as well start looking for another job or they will make your life a living hell.

Advice to Management

Stop acting like middle school kids and start treating your employees with respect.

Maricopa County Arizona Attorney's Office2019-06-03
  6. "Shared misery and fear of retribution"

Former Employee - Information Technology

I worked at Maricopa County Arizona Attorney's Office full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Maricopa County benefits are the main draw to working here. The work can be both challenging and rewarding.

Cons

There is very clear favoritism from management for employees who are better at baking and buttkissing than actually doing their work. Those who work hard and are held accountable for the excellent work they do and service provided to the citizens of Maricopa County are treated as insignificant. The working environment for these hard working employees can be described as "shared misery". The organization is seriously lacking in ethics and reporting issues to HR does nothing but put the whistleblower in the hot seat. It is very intimidating and fear of retaliation is strong enough to keep employees from speaking up to the disgraceful behavior in their managers.

Advice to Management

Revise your ethics policies and stand by them. Stop threeatening employees who try to bring it to your attention. You say to tell if we know of something and then make us the focus of suspicion. Just because an employee is buddies with their managers and chief of investigations, does not mean they have more integrity than the person reporting the problem. Some internal investigation is needed by an unbiased outside party. You are losing great employees and a wealth of knowledge by hiding your heads in the sand.

Maricopa County Arizona Attorney's Office2019-04-15

"Low morale. Hostile work environment. Bad attitudes."

Former Employee - Secretary in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Maricopa County Arizona Attorney's Office full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are none, except fore the medical benefits that everyone gets in Maricopa County jobs

Cons

Upper management is awful. They treat non-attorneys like pond scum, unless they happened to be best friends or one of the butt-kissers. Many managers behave like children and never get held to the ethics rules or ANY employment laws. It's like they think they are above the laws they are supposed to enforce. Especially the ones that work directly with the county attorney.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to reality. Stop pulling the guilty before proven innocent nonsense with your employees. Stop treating people like chattle.

Maricopa County Arizona Attorney's Office2019-02-15
  8. "Less than a year"

I have been working at Maricopa County Arizona Attorney's Office part-time

Pros

schedule flexibility and interesting assignments

Cons

Other interns are immature

Maricopa County Arizona Attorney's Office2018-09-07

"Ineptitude with insufficient cover"

Former Employee - Deputy County Attorney in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Maricopa County Arizona Attorney's Office full-time

Pros

You will meet some remarkable people working at MCAO and will develop genuine friendships. The remarkable are mostly the line attorneys and staff member (secretaries, paralegals, etc...). Another Glassdoor review labeled it perfectly - bonds developed through shared misery. Prosecution in its purest form is a fantastic and rewarding job.

Cons

Prosecution in its purest form is a fantastic and rewarding job. Prosecuting at MCAO is far from pure or ideal and sucks the rewarding aspect out of many employees who truly just want to do the job. This office is focused/driven on stats, policies (no prosecutorial discretion), micromanagement, and a “I have a stack of resumes this high” mentality. Meaning that employees are just down right not trusted to think for themselves or make their own decisions without having to ask for permission and are reminded that they are easily replaceable if they don’t fall in line. Pettiness and a flex of egos is also a huge problem in this office within management. There is no sense of unity between the Community Based Prosecution Bureaus and Major Offender Bureaus, which usually results in condescending shots and inconsistent caseloads in the office (Community Based Prosecution being the true work horses). Ultimately, it falls on the elected head of the office. Image and public perception seem to drive the decisions from the top with little consideration to the fact that morale is on its death bed within the office. Reasonable and experienced prosecutors are leaving at a blistering pace leaving a group of inexperienced and new prosecutors to figure things out on their own because management is being pushed to attend meetings constantly outside of the office.

Advice to Management

Look inward, humble yourselves, listen to employees, and realize that people leaving at an alarming rate means that you are failing your employees and ultimately the safety of the community. Reorganizing the office, tripling the amount of work for prosecutors/staff, and having a callous attitude for constructive criticism is jeopardizing the safety of the community.

Maricopa County Arizona Attorney's Office2018-04-10

"Impossible to get anything done."

I have been working at Maricopa County Arizona Attorney's Office full-time

Pros

There is a feeling of camaraderie over shared misery.

Cons

The proprietary software we are forced to use is almost unusable. It kicks us out, you have to click through a bunch of screens to get what you need. It goes down frequently, and as we are paperless, this is a HUGE problem. We spend more time wrestling with the system than working on our cases. The management tracks our data entry for statistics and we spend a ton of time inputting information. There is a complete disconnect between management and the line attorneys. They did a reorg of the office which probably looks great on paper, but just added an even heavier workload onto line attorneys at their breaking point. No one likes the County Attorney, and he doesn't seem to care about anything else but his political career. He comes to our meetings and gives a canned speech while we stare at him. There is no sense he is at all involved in the daily struggle. There are great attorneys here, some good managers, but people are leaving at record speed.

Advice to Management

LISTEN TO THE LINE ATTORNEYS. Try and understand how we feel when you just keep piling on more tasks with a system that doesn't work. We sit in our offices and trade job search tips. Sadly, I don't see anything changing under the current administration. We make less money than ll the offices our size. Pay your employees.

Maricopa County Arizona Attorney's Office2018-03-03