Maricopa Integrated Health System Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 31, 2017

1.0
Steve Purves

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Benefits are good, most of the people that work there are pretty nice (in 3 reviews)

• government retirement program and a strong mission to serve the underserved in our community (in 3 reviews)

Cons

1. "Was great 20 years ago !"

Former Employee - Healthcare in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Healthcare in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Maricopa Integrated Health System (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits
    Some coworkers
    That’s it
    Not much else
    A few employees are professional

Cons

Everything except a select few colleagues

Advice to Management

Retire

"TERRIBLE"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goodyear, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Goodyear, AZ

I worked at Maricopa Integrated Health System full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working 3-12 hour days a week, My co-workers were nice and enjoyed working with them but at first it was kinda hard to fit in, pretty clicky, but I did actually LOVE MY JOB, but left because of manager. Benefits are AWESOME, Retirement and health ins, etc........

Cons

Management changed I thought our 1st manager was bad well the 2nd and current one is sooo HORRIBLE SHE IS CHASING EVERYONE OFF EVEN PEOPLE THAT HAD BEEN WORKING THERE IN THE SAME DEPT FOR YEARS THEY LEFT AND SHE LOVES EVERY MINUTE OF IT, SHES MEAN, SHE LAUGHS AT YOU WHEN SHE IS MAKING YOU TEAR UP OR CRY SHE THINKS ITS FUNNY, SHE ENJOYED THE JOB TITLE SHE HAS AND THE POWER SHE HAS OVER EVERYONE, SHE DOESN'T WANT TO TREAT PEOPLE FAIRLY OR WORK WITH HER EMPLOYEES, WORST SITUATION I HAVE EVER BEEN IN.

Advice to Management

Start looking at these managers your hiring they are horrible to work for, hire managers that give everyone an incentive to come to work because of respect for each other and work with their employees as a team and I bet you would get much more return from your employees and your hospital over all. After all isn't that why we are all working in a hospital because we care about people and want to help them, not ridicule them and treat them so badly?

"Health Unit Coordinator"

Pros

Working with Psych Patient's helped me understand them more

Cons

I have nothing bad to say about MIHS

Advice to Management

N/A

"Very unprofessional, no sense of urgency for patients, human resource is a joke"

Current Employee - Laboratory Assistant in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Laboratory Assistant in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Maricopa Integrated Health System (Less than a year)

Pros

Discounted health benefits..that is pretty much it. The rest of it are ways for the hospital to earn money from employees like the cafeteria and coffee shop.

Cons

There is a low morale, bullying/harassment of employees, and creating high paying jobs without job postings. Nobody wants to be accountable for anything, seen patients being ignored or made fun of. It is a very childish environment anything brought to HR is not handle so the behavior continues.

Advice to Management

Improve morale,quit hiding in your offices and ignoring problems. My superiors are working on a salary so they get to come and go as they please; meaning working half days or working from home. Please provide a more professional environment.

"shady management and human resources"

Current Employee - Staff RN in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Maricopa Integrated Health System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

none that I can think of

Cons

This hospital is by far the most dishonest, shady place you will ever work at

"Long term employee, saw lots of issues"

I worked at Maricopa Integrated Health System full-time

Pros

The average employee tends to be very nice and dedicated. Mandatory contribution to ASRS. Discount on co-pays for using some MIHS facilities. Education reimbursement includes tuition and books.

Cons

Top heavy in management. Management also is very against change. Rules, laws and regulations are thrown out the window for anything a manager wants or is comfortable doing. Human Resources always sides with management, no matter what occurs. Sexual harassment (including inappropriate touching) has zero consequences for the offender. The victim almost always ends up leaving. Anyone who is not a manager is expendable. High turn over from people who have integrity and cannot keep quiet when they see things that are wrong or flat out illegal. They tend to promote people who have no management experience and just make it up as they go. The behavioral values are a joke, just used as a reason to rate you poor on your annual review so you do not get a raise. Transfers are very hard as the managers all talk to each other. "I know her manager is just trying to get rid of her, I don't want that problem in our department." - actual quote from my manager when a current employee applied for an open position in our department.

Advice to Management

Try treating employees as people who can add value to the organization. The entire Human Resources department needs to be replaced. Crack down on managers and departments who do not follow procedures and laws.

"Really tough working environment."

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Maricopa Integrated Health System (More than a year)

Pros

There were none during my time there.

Cons

Old style "do as you're told" and "I don't pay you to think" leadership that made lots of great skilled people who could get things done leave. It's the “Copa” way put up with it or that's the door as they say.

It was a really sad time while there.

HR is a disgrace, they mess up anything they can: pay, account transfers, benefits, reimbursements and when you point it out you get the blame for not checking or reporting it sooner. This is part of the engrained underperforming culture developed over many years of no accountability of which this department is the main perpetrator.

Very hard if not impossible to get promoted unless you're in the "circle" of husbands, wives, kids and relatives who have been around there for decades.

You can't even offer to help improve anything because everyone thinks everything is great. If you consider saying something different from what management wants to hear or report a number that they don't like you're pretty much finished.
 No employee survey for over two years.

Consulting firms are permanently in and running most key areas. At the same time there are no money to pay market level wages or give rises. That's right, no raises!

Benefits and pay are poor, pressure on mid-low professional level unbearable, if you want to do a great job people will fight against you.

Surprised by all the positive reviews considering that the organization is also doing really bad financially. The data is on the website.
    I wish the real reviews were written earlier but I'm really glad I could get out on time.

Advice to Management

None, as they don’t listen anyway.

"Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Maricopa Integrated Health System full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent Retirement and health care benefits.

Cons

New employee orientation is well organized. Once you leave orientation you see the real politics, the county mentality, and good ol' boys clubs. Leadership values are not aligned with the mission and vision. It's a dictatorship. Employees are not valued. Ethics and values are nonexistent in the leadership. Poor work life balance, don't expect to fulfill your role as a parent if you want to work here. You will be a slave to your phone and e-mails even on your days and you will not be compensated for it in any way. Creativity is not welcomed. It's not what you objectively achieve, it's how you suck up to your leadership.

Advice to Management

Hopefully, the new CEO will clean house.

"Not a good place to work"

I worked at Maricopa Integrated Health System full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Arizona State Retirement is a good program, but they do take > 11% of your pay. This is the only good thing I can say.

Cons

NO training. NO orientation. Told there is no job description, there never will. Here's your job, figure it out, make it up as you go along. No teamwork. No support system. Unsafe. Someone made the comment "If you don't fit in here when you first get here, you never will." And they will let you know it. I, for one, truly wish I would have heeded those words.

Advice to Management

Get a handle on what is going on the clinic. Put guidelines in place. Train your people.

"Review of Maricopa Integrated Health System"

Former Intern - Intern in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Intern - Intern in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Maricopa Integrated Health System as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Health system has gone totally electronic with all their systems and records. They are using one of the largest and best Electronic Health records software.

Cons

Internships are not valuable experience. The experience was not directlty related to the major. Project managers were too busy to really give you the time needed to learn.

Advice to Management

Spend more time with the interns.