Marie Stopes International Reviews | Glassdoor

Marie Stopes International CEO Simon Cooke
Simon Cooke

1. "Excellent organisation"

I worked at Marie Stopes International full-time

Pros

- Strong ethos and commitment to organisational values and vision.
    - Overall, a supportive working environment
    - Overall, excellent staff team

Cons

Some internal systemic weaknesses, particularly in HR

2. "Impressive mission and passion, lacking systems and rigorous evaluation of effectiveness"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant

I worked at Marie Stopes International part-time (More than a year)

Pros

MSI has a very specific niche in the reproductive health field. Their track record in terms of the provision of services is unparalleled. The geographic scope (where they work) is amazing and the staff are generally deeply committed to the organizational mission. Oversight to ensure that the quality of the services provided are up to standard is excellent

Cons

MSI London still has a lot of work to do in terms of orchestrating activities in the field. Each field office as a great deal of autonomy, which is good. Although managing the finances and personnel continues to be a serious challenge. The organization also attempts to take on too many new programmatic activities, accepting funding for areas that are outside of their field of expertise.

Advice to Management

Stick to the areas of strength (delivery of clinical sexual and reproductive health services). Tighten up financial controls and management systems to make sure that the quality standards are meet in all of the country programs.

"Worked for MSS Pakistan - learnt a lot!"

Pros

The project I was working on required interacting with very skilled qualified people from MSS London. I loved the capacity building.

Cons

Some managers do not have the qualifications to do their job well. Some are so insecure about their jobs they suppress talent in their own departments.

Advice to Management

Hire people with the right degrees who believe in investing and building talent, and not threatened by it.

"quiet pleasant but little pay"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at Marie Stopes International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

friendly environment and cultural sensitive

Cons

hostile working environment in South Sudan

6. "Mission driven organisation"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Marie Stopes International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Mission driven, adapting a business approach to the not-for-profit sector
     - Committed team members across the world

Cons

- demands a lot of staff. Be prepared to work hard!

"Good cause, but lack of consistent strategy"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Marie Stopes International (More than a year)

Pros

-relaxed environment
    -very passionate (young) people dedicated to the cause
    -work pressure not very high

Cons

-limited growing opportunities
    -lack of consistent strategy (things keep changing, but are not necessarily improving)
    -lack of teams working together

Advice to Management

work on consistent strategy and work together as one organisation

Jan 12, 2017 – .

Thanks for taking the time to leave us some feedback!

8. "Great atmosphere and doing important work"

Former Employee - Client Services Advisor in Bristol, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Client Services Advisor in Bristol, England (UK)

I worked at Marie Stopes International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I really loved my time at Marie Stopes. I met many people who had been there upwards of ten years, as they loved working for the company so much. Although I left after less than a year, this was not due to company-related issues. The work Marie Stopes does is really important, and those who work there are passionate about the cause. The ultimate pros for me were great colleagues, who were like family, thorough and supportive training, and going in to work every day knowing that I was doing some good in the world.

Cons

The Marie Stopes Call Centre is open 24/7, so hours can be quite variable. This is not necessarily a con - some staff found the flexibility a good thing - and some negotiated regular 9-5 type contracts - but this is something to be aware of, and prepared for before starting.

Call times - Staff on the phones are beginning to be monitored quite strictly for call times, to make sure you are processing your calls as efficiently as possible. They provide a lot of training for this, and if you are struggling with your targets, they will help you. However, it is an added pressure.

Advice to Management

You're doing great, but don't lose sight of why you're here. Stay client-focused and caring. Make sure clients are informed every step of the way. Don't focus too much on call times, and cheapest methods of treatment.

Jan 4, 2017 – .

Thanks very much for taking the time to give us some feedback and we wish you all the best in whatever you do next.

"Great organization and great mission"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Marie Stopes International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Mission-based organisation that supports women who need safe abortion access and contraception. Highly committed field and support staff and very results-focused.
    Not many organisations have the guts to provide safe abortion services when otherwise women will suffer - too many NGO's fudge the issue but MSI tackles it head-on!
    Social business model calls for high degree of ownership and accountability, and results that can be measured.
    Management leads from the front and gets into the detail.
    Very successful at generating funds for mission activities and putting them to good use in the field. Amazing results in last few years but rapid growth outpaces systems and back-up.

Cons

Donors sometimes have conflicting priorities which can make delivery of strategy a challenge and multiple stakeholders make for a complicated operating model.
    Young and inexperienced managers in HQ with strong opinions make decision-making complicated and circuitous. A lot of passive-aggressive behaviour in the past but getting better.
    Business planning process is too heavy and time-consuming and can be demoralising. Management needs to allow country teams to get on with the job!

Advice to Management

Simplify operating model and don't get bogged down in admin and too many measures. Country teams get inundated with requests for data and they can't cope.
    Ignore the moaners - leadership is doing a good job but please focus on engagement and not just KPI's. Team members work here because they care about the mission and not just how to count the impact.
    Keep it up - it's a thankless task but the effort is worth it.

"The misalignment between global leadership/board and MSI's mission is a travesty."

Former Employee - Senior Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at Marie Stopes International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The mission of MSI is vital. The country programs and teams are, in the main, exceptional. There are many, many gifted and committed people working the support offices to support to vital work MSI provides.

Cons

The CEO is a total misfit with this organisation and I would be surprised if he could provide adequate leadership in any organisation. I was a senior manager with MSI for 5 years and like many of my gifted and hard-working contemporaries, I made the difficult decision to leave because of his overall lack of leadership ability. He spends an inordinate amount of time and energy managing up to the Board. He was hired to ensure MSI can be sustainable but he discourages risk and innovation, the very building blocks of MSI. He has a most unfortunate disposition, with a tendency to blame, intimidate, name and shame and therefore, many team members in the organisation are completely demoralised and uninspired. I have never encountered a CEO who is so unaccountable. If it wasn't for the mission, I think the unacceptable turnover of staff would be far worse than it has been since he started. It's just not right.

Advice to Management

Please think about what MSI's clients need and the country teams that serve them - and then please consider whether your support of the current CEO is in alignment with their best interests.

Dec 2, 2016 – Director of Communications

Thanks very much for taking the time to give some feedback. You’re right, as is often the case when there is a change of Chief Executive, there were initially some team members who felt that they ... More

"Great organisation"

Current Employee - Province Manager in Port Moresby (Papua New Guinea)
    Current Employee - Province Manager in Port Moresby (Papua New Guinea)

I have been working at Marie Stopes International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Serving the unmet need in the population

Cons

There is not much to say

Advice to Management

Ensure teams are well taken care of prior to service delivery