Marietta Daily Journal Reviews | Glassdoor

2.1
Otis A. Brumby III

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Staff Writer"

I have been working at Marietta Daily Journal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent work environment, Reflexible, Creative, Instructive

Cons

Salary
    Dated computer systems
    Paper should sell on stores

Advice to Management

Raise salaries

2. "Sad place to work"

I worked at Marietta Daily Journal full-time

Pros

i can't say there are any pros.

Cons

terrible pay, conservative environment, catty culture

Advice to Management

you are better than this.

3. "Brumby Plantation"

Former Employee - Editor in Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Editor in Marietta, GA

I worked at Marietta Daily Journal full-time

Pros

There a lot of passionate people in the newsroom who genuinely care about their work and their jobs.

Cons

The pay is awful and insulting. Many newsroom employees, especially managers, throw each other under the bus in order to save their own careers. Little to no innovation. "Do as I say, not as I do" attitude with newsroom managers vs. labor. Much of upper management seems to forget that people buy or subscribe to the newspaper for the NEWS, not the advertisements, so that's where their focus is. Profit-sharing seems to be a scam (assuming the company is making profits, but the employees can never know since it's not a public company). Retirement and life/disability insurance seems to be throwing money away, since the provider changes every six months. Health benefits are lowest of the low, just get Obamacare (especially if you can get on your parents' insurance for the under-26 rule). Requirement to live in Cobb County to work for the MDJ (despite the fact it's not necessary and probably illegal to ask this of employees). Outdated computer system.

Advice to Management

Your newsroom is going to continue to be an 18-month revolving door if you continue to pay less than $30,000 a year with terrible benefits. Value your employees, their skills, and what they bring to the table. You're going to continue to waste time, energy, and resources on hiring and training if you don't offer raises, promotions, or better salaries. Again, people don't buy the newspaper for the coupons; they buy it for the news. Most newspapers have walls or floors between advertising and news, a literal "separation of church and state." Stop trying to upset your subscribers. Stop with the late-1990s paywall on the website (Pop-up ads are NOT cool). Remember that journalists are WATCHDOGS, not lapdogs. So if a huge news story takes place in your coverage area (such as the Atlanta Braves secretly and unexpectedly moving to Cobb County), take an investigative approach, as the Atlanta Journal-Constitution did; rather than a cheerleader approach. Your readers trust you to shine light on darkness; not to have to turn to a competitor to more effective cover the news in your own backyard.

4. "Mail Room Manager"

I worked at Marietta Daily Journal full-time

Pros

I was able to run my dept. my way.

Cons

Run from this place, They will screw you over in a heartbeat. I saved them $100,000.00 in labor costs in 2015 and they fired me for no reason.

5. "Super Conservative"

I have been working at Marietta Daily Journal full-time

Pros

The paper is known throughout the state and the job title looks good on resume.

Cons

Low-ball salary. The newsroom is ultra conservative and there is little-to-none chatter between staff. Old software. I am using Microsoft 2010. It's a dull work environment and it feels like you're a stick in the mud.

Advice to Management

Foster an atmosphere that balances fun and productivity. Lighten up the reins and fully embrace the digital age of journalism.

6. "Special sections editor"

Pros

I enjoyed a couple of the people that I worked with, and the company was very flexible with time needed off when sick.

Cons

People weren't pleasant to work with.

7. "Decent"

Current Employee - Reporter in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Reporter in Marietta, GA

I have been working at Marietta Daily Journal full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Young, friendly staff. Because it's a small staff there are plenty of opportunities to learn. If you love being a journalist, you will survive, but you have to love it.

Cons

Low pay, bad insurance, HORRIBLE management, work 60 + hour weeks

Advice to Management

Instead of putting unqualified people into management positions, take time to invest and train younger, more promising journalists

8. "Work like a dog with good people"

I have been working at Marietta Daily Journal full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

Work long hours for little pay

Advice to Management

Give raises once in a while

9. "Good company that appreciates the work of it's employees but could benefit by improved communication to it's associates."

I worked at Marietta Daily Journal full-time

Pros

The company seems to genuinely appreciate the work done by their employees. They produce a high quality product and pride themselves on that. The office environment is pleasant and friendly.

Cons

The company would benefit from improved communication from the upper levels to the rest of the organization. Managers are not consistent in their sharing of the information.

Advice to Management

Better communicate key initiatives to the company. Consider a monthly newsletter or weekly e-mail from the Publisher to improve the consistency of the message being shared with the company.

"One of the worst jobs I have ever had."

Former Employee - Staff Reporter in Canton, GA
    Former Employee - Staff Reporter in Canton, GA

I worked at Marietta Daily Journal full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I got to say I was a reporter to my friends, and I got to leave the office a lot so I didn't feel awful all the time.

Cons

You won't make enough money to live on $10.25 per hour, they offer no help to "green" reporters just out of college who would like some mentoring, they are rude to each other, there is no vibrancy in the newsroom, it is a gray, depressing place full of sadness.

Advice to Management

Just, you're doing everything wrong.