Marin Software Reviews | Glassdoor

Marin Software Reviews

Updated July 20, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I'm also constantly supported to have a strong work/life balance (in 19 reviews)

• You can work from home, good food and drinks provided (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • I left during some turbulent times as they were having some financial growing pains, but I can't say I had any major complaints (in 6 reviews)

• very political culture -- people were rewarded based on relationships with upper-management vs performance in their role (in 6 reviews)

1. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Marin Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment and cool people to work with!

Cons

Company isn't doing so well right now and sales is slow.

Advice to Management

Keep the machine moving!

2. "Great fast paced company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Marin Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Came to Marin for a couple of big reasons that I saw during my interview process. First was the fast paced environment at the company, keeping pace with the quickly evolving Digital Ad market place which in turn has created amazing learning experience about the industry.

Secondly the empowerment of each team member to find new and better ways to make the product/product/support better for clients. Everyone is encouraged to speak up and help put their idea into action.

Finally, I'd emphasize the last point related to the culture of the company and the Austin team. Although its quick moving and hectic at times, the team works together to succeed. The atmosphere is positive, fun and supportive and it makes coming to work more than just work when you can really connect and enjoy working with your peers.

Cons

I enjoy the challenge of quick change because it lets you make course corrections without having to go through bureaucratic approvals and steps. For me it also keeps the day to day from feeling stagnant because there is always something new to learn or talk about with prospects and clients. That said I know that can be tough for some so might be considered a con.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Customer Engagement Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Engagement Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Marin Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun culture and great people to work with.
    Competitive as company is trying to grow and become profitable (typical for newer tech companies), but still very collaborative.
    Everyone is super smart
    You will learn a LOT in this role about the digital marketing industry
    As long as you are getting your work done, you can usually WFH once a week
    Can also work remote if you have a proven track record
    Lots of advancement opportunities
    Cool offices around the world

Cons

There can be office politics, especially during the recent restructure.
    But other than that, not much....
    Recent increase layoffs (mainly upper management) in order to move the company towards profitability by end of year, but that's corporate life

Advice to Management

Really take the time to learn your employees strengths and weaknesses to help them grow, and to be able to reward them for their amazing work you may not be aware of.
    Keep up the good work!! Excited for the changes and what is to come at Marin.

"Complicated product, smart people, great locations = Great experience"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mill Valley, CA

I worked at Marin Software (More than 5 years)

Pros

*Smart, ambitious and fun employees
    *Interesting technology with difficult problems to solve and stay on top of within the ever evolving AdTech space.
    *Promotions happen often and the company supports training and developing highly effective employees.
    *Great location in San Francisco near the Ferry building & embarcadero Bart station with newly renovated office space. All other locations are in the very best parts of the world as well as neighborhoods; Austin, New York, Sydney, Paris, London, Tokyo, Shanghai, Hamburg, Singapore, Dublin
    *Great overall medical benefits as well as additional consulting services available for employees

Cons

*As the company works to get to profitability the mood around the company is not the same as it was in previous years. The overall feeling is that Marin will come out of this mood as they hit their goals and continue to hire great people.

Advice to Management

What happened to the core value of "keeping it real"? What are the company's current values? You have really smart and ambitious employees. Don't sugar coat the facts. Be more transparent with successes as well as challenges. The more employees understand the overall mission and values of a company the stronger their commitment to the company.
    Start with monthly all hands meetings. Let employees present exciting new initiatives they are working on. Keep the overall mood positive and fun.

5. "Great Company, Great Technology"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennett Square, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennett Square, PA

I worked at Marin Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leader in the search technology sector. Great benefits and work culture. Great NYC office location and space.

Cons

With the search technology space being mature and saturated, Marin needs to figure out how to re-invent themselves. Lack of transparency.

Advice to Management

Do your research when looking to acquire companies to expand your product offering. Become more transparent around employee departures.

"Good Company If You're An Actual Employee"

Former Employee - Sales Researcher in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Researcher in Austin, TX

I worked at Marin Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work environment
    Fully stocked kitchen
    Innovative
    Good leadership
    Exactly what you expect of a tech company

Cons

I was a sales researcher for about a year and in all honesty, it wasn't the greatest. There was absolutely no room for growth within the company while in this position. It wasn't until I filled out my new hire paperwork that I realized I wasn't an actual employee but a temp. They didn't tell me that when I accepted the offer. My team lead made life hard for you if you took any of the male attention away from her, including saying hi to someone in the hall. It was quite unprofessional

Advice to Management

Get a grip of work office romances, if you're going to hire people on from the bottom at least give them a hope of moving up within the company.

"Customer Success"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Marin Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is positioned well in a highly competitive market. In an era where everyone is trying to push their stack, Marin is well positioned as an open stack that offers advertisers the flexibility to choose an advertising channel and attribution vendor while reporting in a single interface.
    The new executive team is decisive. They realized the company was burning through cash on operations and the last several quarters have seen margin rise with profitability in sight.
    Compensation is very competitive. The stock has gone down despite revenue growth and margin growth. The executive team has pivoted to RSU grants to ensure everyone has skin in the game.
    Seeing positive collaboration with the publishers for the first time.

Cons

Too many people aren't looking at the big picture. We're in a competitive space and we need to be scrappy.
    The street has no understanding on what the company does, this is reflective of a market cap which is only ~1.5 times earnings despite 21% y/y revenue growth.

Advice to Management

Try harder to retain our long time employees that intimately understand our product and the overall marketing partner ecosystem. Continue to go heavy on RSU grants so everyone is focused on the company's success.

"Customer Success"

Current Employee - Customer Success in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Success in New York, NY

I have been working at Marin Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people and peers. Teams work well together.

Cons

Doing more with less is a common theme in 2015 and is a problem. Workloads are getting bigger as teams are getting smaller. Layoffs happen regularly and therefore there is no longer a sense of job security. Marin seems to be headed in the wrong direction, which is a shame.

Advice to Management

Sadly, I have seen the stock plunge since the IPO. It appears management and the new CEO is trying to fire its way to profitability. 3 founders of Marin and many C-Level executives have left "to spend more time with their family". Teams are getting smaller and workloads are getting bigger. Unfortunately the display & social acquisitions are off to a slow start. I don't see the tide turning any time soon.

"turning complexity into disunity"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Marin Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people. Coworkers are a genuine pleasure to be around; almost everyone gets along on a personal level. Free snacks and drinks. Good office locations, and a best in industry product offering.

Cons

Upper and middle management do not communicate across departments and teams. KPIs, processes, and metrics are constantly changing so it is impossible to perform accordingly. Management will commit to compensation and incentives that are never followed through with; consistency and follow through from middle management leaves much to be desired. Comp and incentives have been cut for sales teams except for upper management, and there is rampant turnover. Sales positions are luck of the draw and territories are not fairly allocated; reps that get only inbound leads have the same performance goals as those who source all of their own opportunities. Front line territories and kpis designed by middle mgmt, who does not understand the day to day of their teams, need to be seriously reviewed and revised by upper level management. Current processes are a quagmire, people are confused, frustrated, and moral is suffering.

Advice to Management

Upper management, please make sure middle management's policies, that dictate the performance of front of the line are clearly communicated and in line with organization wide goals. Take into consideration the amount of work required in inbound vs. outbound roles and structure comp/performance goals accordingly. Don't make promises that you can't keep; follow through will go along way to build loyalty and trust with your teams. Please, for the love of god give us a little stability before the next process/operational overhaul.

Marin Software Response

Jan 29, 2015 – Head of Global Talent Acquisition

Hello and thank you so much for sharing your experience here. Thank you for all that you do for our company! One of the objectives this year is to make sure that each individual, team, and... More

10. "Growing pains"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Marin Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is in an extended the growth phase, gives you options.

Cons

feels a little adhoc. Can get frastrating

Advice to Management

Focus on figuring out what marin does an why

Marin Software Response

Dec 4, 2014 – Head of Global Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your patience during this time of change! We appreciate your hard work. As the field of search marketing has been evolving from targeting key words to targeting audiences, Marin is... More