Marin Software Reviews | Glassdoor

Marin Software Reviews

Updated July 29, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I'm also constantly supported to have a strong work/life balance (in 19 reviews)

• You can work from home, good food and drinks provided (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • I left during some turbulent times as they were having some financial growing pains, but I can't say I had any major complaints (in 6 reviews)

• very political culture -- people were rewarded based on relationships with upper-management vs performance in their role (in 6 reviews)

"Great People, Challenging Road Ahead"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Marin Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

TERRIFIC people!
    Management team works hard to be transparent
    Strong product and strategic roadmap
    Important infrastructure work for next-generation tech
    Many opportunities for career advancement
    Fantastic location in downtown SF
    Good benefits
    Exciting industry
    Work with Fortune 500 clients
    Partner with top publishers (Google, Yahoo, Bing, Facebook, Twitter, etc.)

Cons

High employee attrition
    Low morale due to attrition
    Performance reviews and goal setting are not a priority
    Employee satisfaction survey results aren't shared and impact is unclear
    Uncertain road ahead for adtech industry
    Compensation not always adjusted for new roles/responsibilities/promotions
    Very HQ-focused culture (may be challenging to work at a global office)

Advice to Management

Focus on curbing attrition and boosting morale. Take reviews, goal setting, and compensation discussions more seriously. Share aggregate information from employee satisfaction surveys. Make it safe/comfortable to have the hard conversations now and hear critical feedback early, instead of during exit interviews. Execute on tech and infrastructure.

"working to evolve"

Current Employee - Sales/Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales/Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Marin Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good peoples, mature company. working to solve some interesting problems around building a cross-channel marketing suite.

Cons

macro-economic factors like shrinking margins for search platforms and wall street being down on ad tech in general, means the stock has been getting beat up. transition to omni-channel is taking some time.

"Good Starting Place"

I worked at Marin Software full-time

Pros

-good benefits
    -laid back atmosphere
    -great employees / co-workers

Cons

-too much of a focus on profitability / break-even once the new CEO was installed
    -lost company culture when the new CEO was installed
    -not much opportunity for upward mobility
    -very political culture -- people were rewarded based on relationships with upper-management vs performance in their role

Advice to Management

Run the company like a fun start-up again. Provide clear advancement opportunities to high-performers.

"Overall good"

Current Employee - Operations Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Marin Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Awesome people to work with
    - Interesting work
    - Decent flexibility (possibility to work from home, etc)

Cons

- Lack of transparency from management
    - High staff turnover
    - Not much opportunity for things like social events because of everlasting budget concerns

"Great AdTech Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Marin Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent office, mature business. Leading tech. Has strong name brand recognition. Works with the biggest and best of Publishers, Partners, Agencies and Clients. Even though a Public company, still very much operates as a start-up.

Cons

AdTech space is crowded and fragmented. Even though a Public company, still very much operates as a start-up. Struggles to both cooperate with Google and Facebook and provide value-added services that exceed those companies native offerings.

Advice to Management

Manage vision in deliverable increments. Choose strategies and consistently deliver. Continue to invest in lower cost locations (both domestic and international) for development and service.

6. "Good people and Good Management Team"

Current Employee - Senior Member In Development Team in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Member In Development Team in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Marin Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible time
    Lot of opportunities where you can make impact
    Cutting edge technologies
    Lot of flexibility in area you want to work on
    smart people all around
    Absolute zero politics
    Great Development Head -- Empower people, trust people, and expect good results

Cons

Adtech Company business potential is limited
    Lot of founding engineers has left
    Company in Middle of architecture changes and getting rid of legacy code with team members which are new and with less functional knowledge
    You are on your own most of the time

"Good company, good people."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Marin Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall everyone is very friendly and there's fun projects to work on.

Cons

I left during some turbulent times as they were having some financial growing pains, but I can't say I had any major complaints. Not a much upward mobility in my experience.

"Client Services"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Marin Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people and culture are great

Cons

The communication within management and between management and those they lead.

"Great culture and talented people"

Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX

I have been working at Marin Software (More than a year)

Pros

The culture in Marin Software's Austin office is second to none. Because the office is growing so quickly, there's a great mix of new and experienced employees who constantly help one another to accomplish company goals.

Great downtown office near the capital, and comfortable work environment. Snacks, drinks and all the other tools we need to get the job done are provided. The PTO policy is great, and my manager does not micro manage. I'm also constantly supported to have a strong work/life balance.

Cons

Marin's challenges seem to align with any other growing SAAS company that's made recent acquisitions.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Great people make great companies.

"Need More Equitable Measurements of Performance"

I have been working at Marin Software full-time

Pros

I truly enjoy the people that I work with; there is little to no office drama. Unlimited PTO, good medical benefits, and a lovely downtown office are great perks.

Cons

Th biggest complaint that I have about my department is that our compensation incentives are not equitable across the team and are not aligned with organizational goals. To paint a clear picture, lets say their are two teams within the Lead Generation department; team "A" and team "B".

Members of team "A" receive one or two "warm leads" a month and spend the majority of their time researching, cold calling, and emailing prospects to try to generate opportunity for the company out of thin air, which is valuable to the organization since the Opportunity generated this way would not exist otherwise. Team "B" on the other hand receives 80% more inbound leads or demo/trial requests than Team "A" and spend most of the day following up on warm/inbound/marketing generated leads and are essentially just setting appointments with interested prospects that sought Marin out (not rocket science; an untrained intern could perform the same function or our Account Executives could do this with very little time/effort).

Team "A" is forced to strategize, research, and pound the phones all day with outbound efforts. Team "B" gets to show up and process leads that were generated by Marin marketing dollars and efforts. This makes it much harder to be competitive department wide as a member of Team "A" which requires outbound "self-generated" opportunities than it is on Team "B" who follows up on Inbound "warm' leads. It is also a morally defeating as Team "A" reps put in late hours to meet their quota while Team "B" can hit quota by just showing up, with zero outbound effort.

Advice to Management

Despite the vast difference in effort and value added to the organization by Team "A" and Team "B", the quotas and comp plans are identical. This can only be interpreted to mean that both teams are adding equal value in the eyes of Marin assuming "value added" and incentivizes/comp structure are aligned. Other industries do not reward employee generated and company generated leads/opportunities equally, why does Marin Software?. The hyperbolic emphasis on competition fostered by management within the department, coupled with and un-level playing field, makes for a pretty frustrating existence.

By compensating reps the same on self-sourced Opportunity vs. Opportunities that marketing dollars created, we are fostering complacency and a sense of entitlement in our reps. This misalignment of incentives equates to Marin paying DOUBLE for the leads that marketing generates and the redundancy in cost is ultimately a disservice to our shareholders.

Please try to better understand the work that your teams perform and rethink comp structures, and correlate the actual value that employees are adding/creating for Marin with rewards/incentives.