Marina Maher Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Marina Maher

1. "Great Company!"

Pros

Although I have worked at some fantastic agencies in the past, none compare to MMC! The agency has wonderfully strong leadership and some of the smartest people I've ever worked with. From its sustainable practices to MMC4AC (MMC 4 a Cause), MMC is a socially responsible and socially caring organization. The company does a terrific job supporting the growth of its employees through mentoring experiences, professional development, and training classes. It has a warm and inclusive culture and is a wonderful place to work.

Cons

Expectations are high...but that's really a pro (not a con).

Advice to Management

Keep it up! You've built a strong, smart company, and I'm excited to be a part of it.

2. "Coordinator"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockaway Park, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rockaway Park, NY

I worked at Marina Maher Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, Great clients, Some perks

Cons

Leadership is not transparent, a lot of turnover

"Avoid MMC"

Former Employee - GSVP in New York, NY
    Former Employee - GSVP in New York, NY

I worked at Marina Maher Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Some of the people who work here are genuinely nice, smart and creative
    - Opportunity to work with a lot of interesting brands
    - The compensation is competitive
    - Marina is really nice and seems to genuinely care about her employees and the future of the agency (though that's where things seem to stop)

Cons

- A lot of the people who work here are negative and unkind
    - It feels like a club and either you're in or you're out
    - The office space is small and cramped and dirty
    - Senior leadership is out of touch and they don't realize what's happening around then
    - Positions stay open for months; very difficult to recruit talent
    - Archaic thinking and practices has led to a mass exodus of clients which has led to layoffs
    - Preach work life balance but it doesn't exist at all

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach and treat everyone equally

5. "Thank my lucky stars I ended up here"

Pros

I’ve only been at MMC 9 months, but have worked at many other PR agencies and finally feel like I’ve found a home.

Some of that has to do with my own professional maturation, but much more of it has to do with my skills and contributions being constantly recognized, the quality of my co-workers character and competence and the direction MMC is headed. To give a little more detail on each of these points …

Like most in PR, I am comfortable in many different roles, but my personal passion is for life science and regulatory communications. I was brought on for this reason, and as I’ve proven my mettle my colleagues continually tap me for opportunities and work that elevates my visibility and recognition within the agency.

To that effect, when a new role was announced, it was touching how truly excited my colleagues were for me. This sentiment was expressed by people who have not even had the chance to work with me and made it more than an exciting announcement – it opened my eyes to how much my co-workers care about and appreciate me personally.

While almost every PR agency would describe themselves as “full service” MMC is the only one that I know of that delivers in this respect. The reorganization of talent under creative, digital, influence, media, insights and accounts reflects the growing need for a flat hierarchy where disciplines work in tandem, versus the traditional top-down approach from accounts farming specialty work to freelance.

As a final aside, while MMC has a deservedly proud history of marketing to women, the agency itself is no more female-dominated than any other I have worked at. In fact, I appreciate not being siloed in a strictly health & well-being practice. Coming to work and sitting next to people whose work is entirely different from mine has allowed me to get to know people who I would not know otherwise and am glad to know better.

Cons

Nothing specific to MMC. We are having a good year, which creates natural stresses in terms of staffing and hours, but nothing out of the ordinary and the agency is very flexible with benefits in terms of PTO and working remotely which does a lot to alleviate a heavy workload.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. On my ratings I actually considered where to give 4 stars instead of 5 to make this review more authentic, but frankly, in none of these areas is MMC less than the best IMHO.

6. "Great experience"

Pros

One of the best things about this internship program is that you're given real agency work - I have never learned so much from an internship. The company culture is great and there's a wonderful work-life balance.

Cons

Nothing negative to say

"An Inspiring Place to Begin and Build Your Career"

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at Marina Maher Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Since I began my career at MMC almost two years ago, I haven’t stopped learning and growing. I work on a high profile account alongside a team of smart, passionate, supportive people who are all motivated to deliver best-in-class, impactful work to our clients.

The culture at MMC is incredible. It’s a fast-paced, challenging and exciting work environment in which everyone supports each other. There are great internal trainings throughout the year, which allow employees to stay abreast of how the industry is evolving and to understand what’s trending across digital, social, brand management, media and creative. Also, there is a wonderful mentoring program, which sets you up for success at MMC.

Cons

Management encourages work-life balance, but long hours are often necessary to get the job done. That being said, there is flexibility in terms of when the work gets done and you’re able to work from home if need be, step out for appointments during the day, etc.

Advice to Management

Continue to recruit the best talent in the industry.

"Great Opportunities for Career Growth"

I have been working at Marina Maher Communications full-time

Pros

MMC provides great opportunities for those looking to advance their career. Growth is a strong expectation of all employees, and senior management is very supportive of providing opportunities to make that happen for their respective teams. Employees have the chance to stretch up above their level, which can sometimes lead to fast-track promotions. MMC is also committed to ensuring employees are able to explore other areas to broaden their expertise. For example, if someone on the digital team wants to learn more about creative, or brand management, MMC can create opportunities for them to make it happen. Or if someone working on a consumer brand wants to learn more about healthcare, MMC keeps that in mind as there are new business opportunities, open positions, etc. There is also an agency focus on trainings, which is important as employees here are always looking to learn more and constantly be growing professionally.

Cons

Employee expectations are very high, from both the client and internal level. It's a fast-paced environment focused on delivering excellence and exceeding client expectations, while working across many different projects and accounts, so it can be challenging for those who do not thrive in that type of environment.

"Great Place to Work, Learn and Grow!"

I have been working at Marina Maher Communications full-time

Pros

MMC is an incredibly supportive environment that fosters professional growth and development from managers who truly care and have your back. No idea is a bad idea. Everyone is encouraged to participate and speak up. The culture is super fun and unique. Frequent opportunities for bonuses and raises. Strong client list of beauty, health care and CPG brands- free product!

Cons

As with any job with the client service industry- clients can be tough and will challenge you.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your team!

"Great Company"

Pros

Transparent environment, Omnicom benefits, yearly bonus, flexible work schedule, health club discounted membership.

Cons

As with the industry, the client demands are high and the hours can be long. Overall though if you go into the Advertising and PR industry this is expected.

Advice to Management

Nothing...the cons come with the business.

11. "Manager"

Current Employee - Managing Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Managing Director in New York, NY

Pros

The company has many opportunities to support you in all of your career.

Cons

If You get the chance to work in this company , go for it and good luck for you .

Advice to Management

Thanks for all the management team work , you are awesome.