KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Marina Maher Communications Reviews

Updated Nov 9, 2021

Found 86 of over 106 reviews

3.8
Marina Maher Communications Founder & CEO  Marina Maher (no image)
Marina Maher
Pros
  • "I am grateful to work at MMC and have enjoyed seeing the growth and accomplishments in just the year that I have worked here(in 21 reviews)

• "Finance department is full of smart, hard-working people who also understand work-life balance(in 9 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The politics at MMC are some of the worst I've ever seen(in 12 reviews)

• "Management encourages work-life balance, but long hours are often necessary to get the job done(in 8 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

What people are saying about Marina Maher Communications

Join the conversation on
    Join the conversation on
    1. 5.0
      Featured Review

Innovative, progressive and committed to talent

Jan 5, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is an agency where entrepreneurial thinking is truly a way of life. You get to work with the smartest and brightest minds in the industry, highly talented yet very collaborative, friendly and welcoming. Management genuinely cares about the staff at all levels and there is incredible transparency of communications; the weekly agency meetings even in this COVID environment have really fostered great camaraderie even though we are virtual. I have learnt so much since coming here!

Cons

The pace can be hectic, but that seems to be true of the industry overall these days.

2 people found this review helpful
    2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Sometimes challenging, but so worth it!

May 19, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

I've worked at several agencies in the past, I've been with smaller shops and mid-size - this one is by far the best. While I might be one of the lucky ones on a super strong team, with incredibly supportive colleagues across all of my accounts, I feel grateful everyday for where I am. One of my favorite things about MMC is that if you're getting your work done, at the end of the day, you can sort of do what you need to do, flexibility wise, they have always been understanding of a work life balance, before COVID and even more so now while we're working from home. Again, this may be a lucky case for my team and specific brand teams I work with. The culture is key here compared to anywhere I've been. There's always an opportunity for growth and visibility with senior management. At least on my team, catty attitude is not something that any of us stand for. The environment is uplifting, even in a virtual world. Everyone is ready to jump in and help as needed, people are always raising their hands even when their plate is full. It's beyond refreshing and is what keeps me smiling every morning when I sign on. Work hard, play nice, get the job done and you'll be ok. For a lot of the complaints I see here, may have been in regard to different teams, but with all the meetings I've had with different specialties in the past, everyone has been wonderful. I've also never run into any type of "bully" at MMC, it's simply not tolerated. I also love that we get to work on big brands, see our big ideas come to fruition, and then on top of it, get recognized for industry awards. You won't regret working for this place!

Cons

At times, we're understaffed and spread too thin and not compensated for making up for the lost staff and consecutive late evenings. Again, being understaffed allows for late night hours and stressful days trying to keep up with the workload, but there's usually an end in sight with help on the way, and our managers do a good job at bringing in help when it's requested and needed to complete projects. The meetings are often out of control. The agency has been trying to manage this, but nothing has improved. On a daily basis, I am double/triple booked and don't have the time during the day to get the work done, so I'm usually working at night to do so.

3. 3.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

It's not bad, maybe greater than many agencies

Nov 9, 2021 - Community Manager in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Sick days are mental health days; listen to you vision for career path (in part, but of course will put you where they need you.); have both consumer and healthcare brands if you want to make a switch. WFH! Pay is great even for entry level. Hire you for who you are. Job can be a breeze a majority of the time. Is a learning experience.

Cons

Feel that they try to make it seem too great to leave when it's bs. Not the whole company, but joining a new team can be bumpy esp. If team expects you to take on the role of multiple people. Seems to change who owns accounts a lot, makes no sense when someone is already experienced with one and still at the agency. Use Teams for Instant messaging which is a bit overwhelming if messaged all day. Feel like some people 'try' the new users and get smart for no reason that's a minor issue. Not very diverse/

4. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Rapid growth, stiff environment

Oct 18, 2021 - Intern in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Organized teams, structured internship, lots of opportunities to try something new

Cons

If you land in a poorly-managed team nobody can help you

5. 4.0
      Former Employee

Learned a lot

Aug 1, 2021 - Account Supervisor in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very smart, organized co-workers. Great clients. Cool perks. Typical agency culture. Provides a lot of resources for employee enrichment.

Cons

While full of smart people, I experienced some unnecessary drama and cattiness that had nothing to do with the work.

6. 3.0

Great Place

Aug 23, 2021 - Account Supervisor in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Culture, brands, opportunities, supportive co-workers

Cons

Problem solving, leadership vacuums, tech stack, career pathiing

7. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Average Agency, Average Experience

Feb 6, 2021 - Account Executive in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Depending on your team, plenty of supportive coworkers who are smart and care about the work, many decent managers that are interested in fostering your professional growth and giving you the room to take on greater responsibility and pursue areas of passion, overall close-knit agency

Cons

As an agency that started out in traditional PR, often stuck in an awkward growth stage between the role of traditional media and the digital age. Lots of relics of a former era—expectation that women wear dresses to annual summer party, unspoken but deeply enforced rule that you must send a handwritten note to Marina "thanking" her for her generosity in hosting such parties, etc. Office politics and interpersonal drama are in no short supply, often contributing to the elevation of the wrong team members

8. 3.0

Work hard play hard

Jun 7, 2021 - Account Supervisor in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Supportive coworkers, lots of resources, big clients and big opportunities to work on amazing brands. Agency has been very supportive through lockdown and is working hard to work on worklife balance

Cons

As with most agency, work-life balance is still hard to manage. I'm either working 10-12 hour days, or going through a slow slump.

9. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Overworked & slightly underpaid -- the new normal?

Apr 18, 2021 - Earned Media Specialist in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are some excellent creative minds at MMC. Many very sincere people just trying to do a good job.

Cons

It feels like everyone is overworked. Confusing structure. Ideas get watered down because there's a committee approach to decision making. Extreme gender imbalance among the workforce makes for many uncomfortable situations. Too many unnecessary meetings--like everywhere. A few bad apples can spoil the whole bunch.

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

MMC is Today's Tomorrow

Apr 15, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

I am grateful to work at MMC and have enjoyed seeing the growth and accomplishments in just the year that I have worked here. They do a good job trying to understand personal and professional goals and how to accommodate that within the agency. I do feel like upper management is listening to the junior employees and doing what they can to make the work/life balance as even as possible. Yes, there is stress and yes there is frenzy at times, but I think that the results are worth it. Especially in this uncertain time (COVID-19) I think that the agency is really doing all it can to help the employees - keeping them safe, working around child care needs and creating an environment of normalcy amid the chaos. It is appreciated and noted. Hoping to soon get back to the office. The push to really stand out and BE a next-gen agency is exciting and the forward thinking they are engaging is shaping the industry, not following it.

Cons

There has been a bit of turnover lately that has taxed the remaining employees so that is a continuing concern. A bit more constructive feedback from managers would help everyone meet goals and raise the tide.

1 person found this review helpful

Marina Maher Communications Response

Chief People Officer

We are grateful to have you with us. We take great pride in listening to our staff and supporting professional growth/work-life balance as much as possible. Covid-19 has certainly added an extra dimension and we are happy to hear the measures we've put into place are making a positive difference. (By the way, we also can't wait to be back in the office all together!). Your advice is noted and helpful. Celebrating wins and learning from losses is key and leadership will continue to be transparent with information. One thing we have learned through this pandemic is that we are certainly in this together.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 86 Reviews