Marina Maher Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

Marina Maher

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great company"

I worked at Marina Maher Communications full-time

Pros

Great opportunities to learn how to do PR correctly.

Cons

Some times you have to work long hours (but that is the nature of PR).

2. "Great PR Agency for a Career"

Current Employee - Vice President Digital in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President Digital in New York, NY

I have been working at Marina Maher Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

From agency culture, to work-life-balance, to growth opportunities, MMC really does have it all. I've worked at a lot of different agencies, non of which were as employee-friendly/focused as MMC. Below are some of the many PROs that I've seen in my time here:

- The agency culture is amazing. Even though the agency has just over 200 employees, it acts and feels as if it's 10-20. Everyone knows each other and treats each other like extended family. It also helps that every holiday (big and small) is celebrated with a party or event.
    - MMC focuses on employee growth by providing lots of training opportunities. They encourage and provide training to learn new skills as well as polish old ones. I.E., Excel 101 refresher.
    - MMC focuses on bringing in new talent with different career backgrounds (inside and outside of PR) and encourages everyone to learn from each other.
    - While late nights are rare, when they happen the whole team pitches in so that the job gets done faster and everyone goes home earlier.
    - MMC has hands-down the best holiday/time off policy that I've seen in the industry.

Cons

Culture is an important part of the agency. Don't expect to keep your head down, just get your job done and go home. This isn't as much a con as it is advice to embrace the agency culture and get involved with the different events.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on culture as the agency grows. MMC's culture is the best I've seen in the industry. It makes me want to come to work every day. Also, keep providing growth opportunities and focusing on employees' growth.

3. "Great Place to Work"

I worked at Marina Maher Communications full-time

Pros

Pretty much everyone who works there is a smart, strategic thinker. So you're surrounded by some of the brightest, most engaging professionals. It's a great place to be -- especially if you're just starting out -- and want to learn from some of the best of the best.

Cons

Pretty much everyone who works there is a smart, strategic thinker. So you're surrounded, at times, by too many cooks in the kitchen, and it often takes way too much time to get work done. This can lead to overthought work, expensive monthly bills and, at times, unhappy clients.

Advice to Management

Simplify the workflow where you can. Push for transparency from top to bottom. Make sure all employees, from top to bottom, feel valued.

4. "Account Executive"

I have been working at Marina Maher Communications full-time

Pros

Feels like senior staff cares, embracive culture

Cons

Upward mobility is sometimes harder to achieve based on review timelines

"Senior staff is awful"

I worked at Marina Maher Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free products, usually left over food.

Cons

Extremely catty and cliquey senior management will talk behind your back without directly coming to you with issues first. Senior staff is Extremely judgemental of everything you do. It seems that you can't do anything right in their eyes.

Sep 22, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Talent

As leaders at MMC, senior managers are encouraged to empower their teams, share constructive feedback and motivate and inspire each individual. I am sorry that you did not experience a strong... More

6. "Strong place to grow up in your career"

I worked at Marina Maher Communications full-time

Pros

MMC is a good shop to advance your career. The management, on account teams and creative, are invested in their people's growth.

Cons

That said, there were still some politics when it came to upward mobility. Promotions take time.

Dec 19, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Talent

Thank you for your feedback! Continuous performance management is critically important to us at MMC. It takes many forms including weekly 1:1 meetings with your supervisor, ongoing touch bases with... More

7. "AAE"

I have been working at Marina Maher Communications full-time

Pros

Great place to start a career

Cons

No real cons to note

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

8. "SVP"

Former Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at Marina Maher Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Creative, collaborative PR agency transforming into a world-class 21st century communications offering

Cons

Needs to bridge jr and sr team with more mid-level energy

"IF YOU WANT TO BE HAPPY, WORK HERE."

Current Employee - Team Coordinator in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Team Coordinator in New York, NY

I have been working at Marina Maher Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic team. Incredible environment. Great work/life balance.

Cons

Sometimes too many heads with too many opinions.

"Interview? Offer? Run and don't look back."

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive

I worked at Marina Maher Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free products and free food.

Cons

Your work ethic and experience don't mean anything. Zero room for growth. The only way you will fit in or be accepted is if you're a rich white girl that's looking for a post-college sorority. Tons of pointless meetings. Expect to do your managers work at all times. No one owns up to their mistakes, instead they point fingers to mid and jr. staff members. Zero team/group effort. If your too busy [working] to show up to a work related social event, it will be thrown in your face and you will be labeled as unsocial or unapproachable. Expect to work on your vacation and personal time off. To top it off, your supervisor and other departments will review and edit every single email you draft because there's a power struggle internally that no one addresses.

Advice to Management

Grow up and act like supervisors. Stop being so caddy and petty- it's pretty disgusting and unprofessional.

Dec 21, 2017 – Senior Vice President, Talent

We pride ourselves on our sense of community and collaboration at MMC. From diversity of background and thought to our integrated team structures, a high value is placed on each individual and their... More