Marina Maher Communications Reviews

Updated May 27, 2020

3.5
Marina Maher Communications Founder & CEO  Marina Maher (no image)
Marina Maher
Pros
  • "I am grateful to work at MMC and have enjoyed seeing the growth and accomplishments in just the year that I have worked here(in 20 reviews)

• "I do feel like upper management is listening to the junior employees and doing what they can to make the work/life balance as even as possible(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • "among inter agencies, MMC has no respect or say in anything(in 10 reviews)

• "Management encourages work-life balance, but long hours are often necessary to get the job done(in 8 reviews)

"MMC is Today's Tomorrow"

5.0

I have been working at Marina Maher Communications full-time for more than a year

Pros

I am grateful to work at MMC and have enjoyed seeing the growth and accomplishments in just the year that I have worked here. They do a good job trying to understand personal and professional goals and how to accommodate that within the agency. I do feel like upper management is listening to the junior employees and doing what they can to make the work/life balance as even as possible. Yes, there is stress and yes there is frenzy at times, but I think that the results are worth it. Especially in this uncertain time (COVID-19) I think that the agency is really doing all it can to help the employees - keeping them safe, working around child care needs and creating an environment of normalcy amid the chaos. It is appreciated and noted. Hoping to soon get back to the office. The push to really stand out and BE a next-gen agency is exciting and the forward thinking they are engaging is shaping the industry, not following it.

Cons

There has been a bit of turnover lately that has taxed the remaining employees so that is a continuing concern. A bit more constructive feedback from managers would help everyone meet goals and raise the tide.

Marina Maher Communications2020-04-15

April 29, 2020Chief People Officer

We are grateful to have you with us. We take great pride in listening to our staff and supporting professional growth/work-life balance as much as possible. Covid-19 has certainly added an extra dimension and we are happy to hear the measures we've put into place are making a positive difference. (By the way, we also can't wait to be back in the office all together!). Your advice is noted and helpful. Celebrating wins and learning from losses is key and leadership will continue to be transparent with information. One thing we have learned through this pandemic is that we are certainly in this together.

2. "A place to learn and grow"

4.0
    Current Employee - GSVP

I have been working at Marina Maher Communications full-time

Pros

Hugely collaborative environment--driven by team members that want to do their best work for clients. A place to learn--from influence marketing to audience analysis, there are so many aspects and nuances to our ever-evolving industry. It's great that MMC hires industry experts to upskill our teams and lead us forward.

Cons

Occasional late nights, but I find that with any agency.

Marina Maher Communications2020-05-28

"Far Behind Competitors with Poor Leadership and Culture"

2.0
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

- you get to work on household brand names - you are paid well - brag about the (meaningless) awards you get

Cons

- don’t take care of their employees well. Benefits are great to say, but at the end of the day the respect and trust isn’t there. Clients are always believed over employees. - bend over backwards for clients at any cost (and it’s a big cost) - trying to become “new and digital focused” but don’t know how to, don’t hire the right people, and fire those who have the ability to help - no employee growth. People get promoted with no new skill set to help grow accounts. Most don’t have goals. - very siloed with little collaboration - barebones creative department that can’t do a lot of necessary creative - huge brands with tiny budgets - management been at the company too long to understand what it’s like at a modern agency and what is needed. Office still feels like it’s in the 90s. - PR will always be the focus, no matter what they say - poor overall culture - so many politics and bureaucratic crap that boys down all work - among inter agencies, MMC has no respect or say in anything. Just waiting to be told what to do with the smallest budgets and shortest timeline - CEO inserts herself into projects she has no business being a part of. Extremely removed from what the current world looks like and just adds chaos to things. - very cliquey. If you aren’t in a group of people, you won’t feel like a part of the company - overall just not super smart, strategic or creative to go toe to toe with other agencies Go somewhere that values growth, new ideas, and staying ahead in this digital age

Marina Maher Communications2020-04-23

April 28, 2020Chief People Officer

I'm very sorry to hear your experience hasn't been positive so far. We pride ourselves on being a next-gen comms agency and evolving with the industry as it changes. Awards hold a great deal of value to our agency, our clients and the entire communications industry. We are extremely proud to have won 35 industry awards last year and to have been named a PRovoke "Agency of the Decade" this year. This honor reflects all of the growth and hard work MMC has committed to over the past 10 years. We will continue to meet the business needs of our clients including investing in creative and digital. As an employee of MMC, I ask you to please reach out to your manager or myself to discuss your concerns in more detail. We want to help both you and the agency be the best it can be. We are always here for you.

4. "Really happy"

5.0

Pros

Doing work that I love Working with a team of people who inspire me Learning something new every day Winning awards for the hard work we do Being rewarded in multiple ways Thoughtful, kind gestures that I appreciate!

Cons

Some people want to stay in the past and be part of what was. They are having a hard time with change and are making it harder for those that are pushing forward.

Marina Maher Communications2020-02-05

April 28, 2020Chief People Officer

Thank you for your kind words. We are so happy that you are happy.

5. "One-of-a-Kind"

4.0
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Marina Maher Communications full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

- Ability to learn from smart, passionate communications professionals in all areas (media, creative, strategy, analytics, brand) - Incredible range of top brands/clients in both consumer and healthcare - Talent is fostered and invested in through in house or offsite trainings as well as customized opportunities that reflect the passions and interests of the staff - Intern program is one of the best in the business and has led to numerous full time hires that are with the agency for years to follow - Continues to execute award winning programs year after year

Cons

- Agency is managing through a lot of turnover and changes in leadership, but is committed to embracing positive solutions to navigate through the change

Marina Maher Communications2020-01-31

April 28, 2020Chief People Officer

We appreciate your dedication of 10 years to the company. You have been with us through the changes and have seen us evolve to stay at the forefront of the industry. At the center of it all is our incredible talent who deliver tirelessly for our clients. Thank you for what you do!

"Losing on all fronts - talent / clients / business / reputation... Lying repeatedly to employees!"

I have been working at Marina Maher Communications

Pros

- Location - Formerly did good work with great clients

Cons

- Riddled with petty politics even at the highest levels - Several failed, half-baked attempts at catching up with the industry - Has some very incompetent people who've been repeatedly praised despite showing no results, extremely cliquey environment - Extremely arrogant despite repeatedly failing on all fronts while their competitors continue to take talent / clients / business from them - Most 5* reviews here are fake!

Marina Maher Communications2020-02-22

April 28, 2020Chief People Officer

As an employee, please come to talk to me our your Manager so we can figure this out with you.

7. "Endless Growth Opportunities"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in New York, NY

Pros

The people are smart, strategic thinkers - that are truly incredible to work with. The work that we produce and the clients that we service are also top notch. There are several trainings that take place throughout the year and endless opportunities for career growth. Employees are often rewarded with promotions and typically paid above industry standards.

Cons

The culture initiatives have been lacking over the past few years. However, I think they have been making improvements lately.

Marina Maher Communications2019-12-18

January 7, 2020Chief People Officer

Thank you for your review. We are proud of the teams that we have at MMC and we take professional growth very seriously. Culture is a big focus for the agency and will continue to be so. We are glad to hear that you have felt the improvement in our culture initiatives. Keep your eyes open for more. We are an agency that believes in the power of feedback and proudly have two review cycles each year recognizing employees’ accomplishments and highlighting growth opportunities. We agree with the power of transparency. We have monthly staff meetings where we discuss agency goals, upcoming initiatives, agency improvements, and new business activities. We welcome any additional feedback. Our doors are always open.

8. "Strong team environment where collaboration is celebrated!"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

Pros

The teams that are here at MMC are extremely dedicated and passionate about the areas that they work in! That shines through in the work. It is no surprise that these teams have generated so much award recognized work in 2019! Additionally, the agency has dedicated specialists in various areas and are not just from PR backgrounds. Being able to turn to your left or right and speak with someone who is an expert in digital strategy, social strategy, data & analytics, or influencer engagement is a huge piece of what makes separates the work we do here from the rest of the industry.

Cons

No cons to report here.

Marina Maher Communications2019-12-18

"Go Anywhere Else"

I worked at Marina Maher Communications full-time

Pros

High pay because of high profile clients

Cons

Everything. This agency will ruin your personal life and your professional outlook. You will be allowed zero creativity and if you offer any difference of opinion you will be shut down immediately. The agency is extremely cliquey and if you’re not in the clique then you need to be prepared to feel like a complete outsider. You will not be accepted and they will let that be known. Do not sell out to this company. It’s not worth it and you will gain absolutely nothing. You will not learn, you will not grow creatively, you will not make connections. Go elsewhere.

Marina Maher Communications2019-12-19

January 7, 2020Chief People Officer

We appreciate your opinion. We are an agency of change and of the future. We welcome out of the box thinking and collaboration and we are most proud of the creativity and hard work that our teams bring to the table. In 2019, we had over 80 award nods for our creative product based on the hard work of our teams. We care about the full employee experience and offer flexibility and working from home arrangements as our employees need it. We are sorry it didn’t work out and wish you the best in the future

"Abusive and Outdated"

Current Employee - Account Manager

Pros

Talented , smart executional teams with ability to work under extreme pressure.

Cons

Never have I felt so offended in a work environment. CEO is frightening. Her incoming robotic replacement is not much better. Male leads are also egomaniacal, which is ironic considering the positioning as a women's agency. There is no support for budgets actually needed to cover execution happening. Lots of freelancers to band-aid the problem. It's depressing and taking a toll on my personal life. And I'm not the only one.

Marina Maher Communications2019-10-16

November 14, 2019Chief People Officer

This is not something we want to hear from any employee. Please come by so we can talk about how we can address your concerns.

Found 66 reviews