Marine Credit Union Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.2
Shawn Hanson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Competitive wages and room for advancement if you are willing to move around the state and want to do the jobs available, and work hard (in 4 reviews)

• Good Benefits and great stepping stone into a financial career (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management talks about us helping members, when we are really setting them up for failure (in 9 reviews)

• I was also told that someone on the executive team did not 'like' me, so chances of promoting (ever) were slim (in 4 reviews)

1. "Growing company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Crosse, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Marine Credit Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I work at the Monitor St administration building location so I don't have a branch perspective, but I can comment on the company generally and where I work specifically. The company does a great job onboarding and training new employees. Once you start your manager also will do a good job of meeting with you at least weekly and again monthly to ensure you are able to be successful. The people are nice and the benefits are good. There is also nature trails near where I work so it's good to have those to occasionally go walking.

Cons

The work is really consistent and stable. Even if you're working on change projects, change happens very slow so you have to be someone who is okay with following procedures and working with many people to get things done. If you're someone who likes different or exciting experiences perhaps a sales job with travel would be more appropriate for you. Marine has those types of jobs too, just ask your HR rep. They are very helpful. It pays to know yourself and to apply what you know.

Advice to Management

Thank you for being there for me when I have a problem or need to talk through an issue. Thank you for being consistent and transparent. Other places I've worked have had hidden agendas but at Marine I don't feel like there is anyone out to "get me". There are no "internal enemies". I also appreciate being able to take off work when I need to be with my family. Marine is very metrics focused, but that allows them to offer benefits to employees that other businesses do not.

Sep 19, 2017

Thank you for your feedback!

2. "Consumer Loan Officer"

Former Employee - Consumer Loan Officer
    Former Employee - Consumer Loan Officer

I worked at Marine Credit Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good job for your resume. Helps you get experience in the banking environment.

Cons

Management doesn't have accountability.

Oct 4, 2017

Thank you for the feedback. It’s unfortunate you did not feel our management team was accountable. As for our executive team, we always try to improve and are open to suggestions on how we can be... More

3. "Management"

I worked at Marine Credit Union full-time

Pros

Cons heavily outweigh small pros

Cons

Human Resources, quit lying that this company is open to suggestions. It's a payday lender that takes advantage of the under served. Wells Fargo based mentslity, only worse. The honest reviews have been consistently bad for 8 yrs. Same theme in these posts, unrealist, unethical, high turnover, with pathetic human resource responses to people who were sold a bunch of garbage about Marine at application time.

Advice to Management

Come clean

Sep 12, 2017

Thank you for the feedback. Our management team is always trying to improve and are open to suggestions on how we can be better. Best of luck to you in your future endeavors.

"Unethical place, stay away!"

Current Employee - Loan Officer in La Crosse, WI
    Current Employee - Loan Officer in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Marine Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing really positive about the experience at MCU.

Cons

Upper Management talks about us helping members, when we are really setting them up for failure. MCU is a payday lender with deposits. Upper Management only cares about the numbers and how many members they can take advantage of. Turnover rate on employees is extremely high and members notice that and realize it is not a good institution. The pay for what you do and numbers that are suppose to be met don't match. You can bonus but you have to meet unrealistic numbers. It is just a way of getting you to overload on work and not paying the employees. They believe everyone is replaceable and on to the next.

Advice to Management

They don't listen they haven't changed a way they are doing stuff. They don't realize the turnover rate is crazy and no one wants to work for them. The company has a terrible name for themselves and only getting worse.

Sep 8, 2017

Thank you for this feedback. It’s unfortunate that you feel our expectations are too high. As for our executive team, we always try to improve and are open to suggestions on how we can be better. As... More

5. "Applicant Beware"

I have been working at Marine Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lower stress environment than most other lending jobs.

Cons

MCU is a sub-prime lender who wants A or A+ applicants. Approvals are incredibly difficult to come by, and the result is very little commission.

Advice to Management

Be more honest when discussing goals with potential employees. Most lenders are sold on the idea of flexibility and a market niche that MCU filled, when in reality these loans are never approved.

"Good to gain experience, not so sure about long-term career choice"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Crosse, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in La Crosse, WI

I worked at Marine Credit Union full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Gained experience, had additional projects to gain that experience

Cons

I was asked to cram a 50 hour workload into a 40 hour week for several months in a row. I told management I was worried about the quality of my work suffering for it, but was not given any solutions. I made a couple small mistakes, and the rest of my career there was judged on this. I was unable to promote because I didn't have good quality for that time period (out of 2.5 years). I was also told that someone on the executive team did not 'like' me, so chances of promoting (ever) were slim.

On the other hand, I gained some valuable experience that allowed me to get hired on with a company into the role I wanted, and I'm doing a stellar job there, so it all worked out any ways.

Advice to Management

Give more freedom to management... let them manage their teams how they see fit to accomplish the overall goals of the company. I saw the Executive Team beat down managers at MCU with the pressure and stress of meeting their goals, how the Executive Team wanted them met, even though it clearly wasn't working. Leave strategy to the managers, just tell them what you want and let them figure out how to accomplish it. Your ideals are great, but your method of meeting those goals and delivery to management sucks.

"Do NOT work this company. It's a trap."

Former Employee - Consumer Loan Officer in Fond du Lac, WI
    Former Employee - Consumer Loan Officer in Fond du Lac, WI

I worked at Marine Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good wage.
    Cheap insurance premiums but insurance coverage is very crappy.
    Nice co-workers as long as they are not managers.
    They have a company-wide get together at WI dells in July and January in which you get some free stuff.

Cons

Where to start . . .
    Being a loan officer is the worst position, you will get sick from the amount of pressure and stress they put on you.
    I was without a manager for several months (6-7)during my first and only year.
    You don't win at this company if you are not sucking up to management and/or work past 40 hrs and work weekends.
    You are treated as you are replaceable by managers and upper management.
    You will get daily emails asking why you are not meeting your numbers and when you are meeting your numbers you will be asked how much more you can perform.
    Once you see how upper management (District mangers and higher) treat managers, you will not want to advance your career here.
    They are always short-staffed because a lot of people quit so often.
    People here become miserable, from tellers to loan officers and creates a hostile environment.
    There is no employee development.
    They make MANY empty promises such a new system, improvements to the loan process, growth opportunities.
    The loans they offer to people are horrendous, be prepared to put people in 21.49% loans.
    Advice: If you ignore my review and others, I can only advice you to not accept bonuses from MCU. This is a trap to force you to stay. They do not pay you the amount of bonus they are telling you because in your check you get the after tax amount which is about half of what they promise and if you quit before the year is up you pay the full bonus amount back. I was fresh out of college when I started for this company, if I would have known that this was the experience I would go through with this company I would have NEVER accepted the offer.

Advice to Management

There is really not anything to say to management because they do not listen to feedback from employees.

"Stay Clear"

I worked at Marine Credit Union full-time

Pros

The opportunity to help customers. I got to help people with their finances where no other financial would. This was very rewarding.

Cons

Senior leadership is the worse I've ever seen. They micro manage and change the performance metrics continually. They do not apply equally the performance standards between people, branches or districts. Turnover is excessive. This is not the place to be for a long lasting, fulfilling career. In the past year, 3 C-level executives have left.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the unrealistic expectations and the do it or else model.

Jun 5, 2017

Thanks for your comments. We are always looking to improve and this site is one of many ways we take in feedback from current and former employees about how we can do better.

"MLR"

I worked at Marine Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gained a lot of experience learning to underwrite loans and how to structure deals. Provided financing for those that may have issues finding financing elsewhere.

Cons

Just about everything else. Management praises and promises you everything if you are a top performer; however, it is all about "what have you done for me lately?" Have a bad month?! Too bad! Was it discussed in your monthly performance review (MPR) to work towards a promotion? Sure! But...You had a bad month. Time to take the dangling carrot away; You are not upper management'a golden child. Game over.

Not to mention the type of financing is borderline predatory. They sell you on the idea that you are helping member's credit scores by constantly being refinanced by the vultures that are new CLOs, trying to scrape by to make goal, when in reality, it's just keeping their credit score low, to keep them from ever being approved elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Wake up and look around you. You have lost countless good people by playing favorites and living in the present.

10. "Good"

I have been working at Marine Credit Union full-time

Pros

They give you the opportunity to gain experience. They reimburse you for any "business related" expenses. As long as you are doing your job efficiently, do what you have to do (make sure everything is within guidelines). Most management is not micro-managing.
    Very flexible when it comes to underwriting.
    They teach you how to underwrite (secondary market).
    You are more THAN A CREDIT SCORE

Cons

Numbers are very hard to achieve.
    They don't believe in spending money to market.
    Turn around time for loan approvals can be lenghty.

Advice to Management

Try to average out numbers for score card as opposed to making them very high and having so much turn over. Members can sense the turnover and thus why they dislike banking there.

Feb 2, 2017

Thank you for your feedback and advice for our management!