Marine Credit Union Reviews

Updated Jan 2, 2021

2.6
Marine Credit Union CEO Shawn Hanson (no image)
Shawn Hanson
Pros
  • "He knows every single person that's on the MCU team(in 9 reviews)

• "Good Benefits and great stepping stone into a financial career(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Pretends the scorecard is valid(in 20 reviews)

• "Interest rates for high credit borrowers are not competitive with other financials and you can often lose loan deals(in 18 reviews)

Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "Great team - member focused"

5.0
    Current Employee - Contact Center Manager in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Marine Credit Union full-time

Pros

remote work, member focused mission, fast paced, supportive leadership team,

Cons

Overall my experience has been positive and any con has been challenged and overcome with the organization.

August 31, 2020

Thank you for the 5-star review! We're glad you've addressed the challenges you face in order to make us all better as an organization. Great advice for management!

2. "Chaos and blinders"

Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Marine Credit Union full-time

Pros

Helps some people who cant get financing through other means but that comes with high interest rates

Cons

Trapped in old ways of doing things. Inability to respond quickly to anything.

January 4, 2021

Thank you for your feedback. We are always looking for ways to improve and your valuable feedback is helpful to us. We're sorry you didn't enjoy your experience on our team. Good luck in your future endeavors.

3. "Fine"

Former Employee - Dep Ops

I worked at Marine Credit Union full-time

Pros

Good place to grow. Fast paced

Cons

Lots of extra hours expected from employees

November 11, 2020

Thank you for your feedback. We're glad you saw room for growth with us. It's unfortunate that you weren't satisfied with the work life balance. We're happy to have your feedback and are always looking for ways we can improve!

4. "MCU is for YOU"

4.0
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in La Crosse, WI

I worked at Marine Credit Union full-time

Pros

leadership works well for you, on board training is great. great work life balance, upper management very easy to work with

Cons

to many hands in the pot with tasks, leadership acts fast without totally looking at big or long term picture. After hire HR is hard to get a hold of. monthly healthcare premiums are low, but in the long run doesn't cover a lot

October 22, 2020

Thank you for your feedback! We're glad you enjoyed your time at Marine and were happy with the work-life balance. Thank you for your advice for our leadership. We are always looking for ways to improve!

5. "Buyer"

4.0
    Former Employee - Indirect Buyer in La Crosse, WI

I worked at Marine Credit Union part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great coworkers that are friendly and eager to help at your request.

Cons

Little to no level of advancement in career path

October 22, 2020

Thank you for your feedback. We're sorry to hear you weren't satisfied with your career advancement during your time with us. Take care!

6. COVID-19

"A Company In Termoil"

Former Employee - Consumer Loan Officer

I worked at Marine Credit Union full-time for more than a year

Pros

Schedule, flexibility in workplace, good with allowing PTO, which is desperately needed.

Cons

This company is in complete disarray. They are hiring tons and tons of Business Development Officers, or BDO's; a job who's entire purpose is to solicit deals/loans from businesses in their local communities. This would be a good idea in a brand new community with thousands of businesses in a new territory to take advantage of, but that's not the case. This program has been running for years in the same communities, restricted to counties MCU has field of membership in. They expect an absolutely obscene amount of "contacts" per day per each BDO and consumer lender (CLO) in the areas they are assigned, to the point where we all have are down to soliciting places like furniture stores looking for deals. Those of us in smaller communities are running out of relevant businesses, but the expectations don't change, they increase every day that the economy doesn't improve/loan growth improve. As a BDO or a Consumer Loan Officer that is not a part of the central lending team, you are a telemarketer, plain and simple. The difference is you are soliciting businesses, and a ton of businesses that you can't actually help or they have no interest in what MCU has to offer. They also have zero understanding or respect for the fact that the globe is in a global pandemic and economic crisis. They are so desperately attempting to cram what seems like a five year plan into less than one year, regardless of researching whether or not it will work.

October 21, 2020

Thank you for your feedback. We're sorry you don't agree with the strategy for our Business Development Officer role. We are always looking to improve, and this site is one of many ways we take in feedback from current and former employees about how we can do better.

"The Right Mission, The Right Leadership"

5.0
    Current Employee - Mortgage Loan Representative in La Crosse, WI

I have been working at Marine Credit Union full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's an honor to work for a company that cares about the community and the employees. Our CEO, Shawn Hanson, is truly the most incredible leader I have ever encountered. He knows every single person that's on the MCU team. He lives and breathes our mission of helping people advance their lives. This company is compassionate and competitive. When you are having a tough time, all you need to do is raise your hand. There are always people willing to help. Every person understands the mission and knowing your contributions to how the mission is affected is crucial. There is such a great feeling around being a part of something bigger than yourself. The money is good, but the people are better. Having a great staff to work along side of is very rewarding. We also have the flexibility of working from home. Working remotely allows for a lot more balance with your personal life and family. We have virtual video meetings to help avoid feelings of loneliness. Make sure to build connections outside of your department to understand other people's roles and part of the mission. This is important for your own self development. Career Opportunities- These are fruitful. If you are hired for one thing and would like to be promoted, it's feasible. I have been promoted several times. There are very clear expectations laid out for you to get to your next steps. Why do I work here? I stay because I am proud of what MCU represents. I stay because I am proud of what we continue to build. I stay because I feel that I matter. If you have a strong work ethic, a positive attitude, and adaptability, THIS is the right company for you.

Cons

Execution. Often times, deadlines on commitments to staff are delayed or never come to fruition. Some times, the wrong people are promoted into positions of authority. This can destroy the culture that the company has worked hard to obtain. I have watched several poor leaders turn over staff time and time again. These poor leaders are still in these positions. They can and have ruined good people. I do feel let down at times because of this. If you fail in the role you are hired to be in, you cannot go to a different role until you prove you can win in your current role. This is something the company really needs to work on. Sometimes we have the right people in the wrong positions. If you don't do well with change and cannot connect with the bigger picture of our purpose, please don't waste your time here.

August 31, 2020

Thank you for the 5-stars, awesome review and feedback. Our team DOES matter and we try very hard to make sure you feel appreciated and have opportunities to grow. We are sorry you feel let down by some of our leaders. Great advice for management! Thanks again!

"Good place to ignore"

2.0
    Former Employee - Consumer Loan Officer in Eau Claire, WI

I worked at Marine Credit Union full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits were reasonable but very large deductible.

Cons

Not one to talk about a former employer but there are most negatives than positives.

September 23, 2020

Thank you for your feedback. We’re sorry you were not satisfied with your time with us. We are always looking to improve, and this site is one of many ways we take in feedback from current and former employees about how we can do better.

"Hostile work environment"

Former Employee - Loan Processor

I worked at Marine Credit Union full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I can’t think of any

Cons

Hostile work environment. Lack of knowledgeable supervisors. High turn over. No work life balance. Unrealistic expectations to complete in an 8 hour day!

September 30, 2020

Thanks for the feedback. It’s unfortunate you did not find the support from management you were seeking with us. As for our executive team, we always try to improve and are open to suggestions on how we can be better. Best of luck to you in your future endeavors.

"Shawn Hanson - LOL"

Former Employee - Consumer Loan Officer in Fond du Lac, WI

I worked at Marine Credit Union full-time for more than a year

Pros

Being able to surf the internet all day and faking solicit calls.

Cons

No leadership and clear set roles and responsibilities. Oh and all of the positive reviews that are coming from La Crosse are most certainly HR leaving fake reviews.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 108 English Reviews