Maritz Canada Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.6
Bob Macdonald

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "It's great to work with so many talented people across the business."

I have been working at Maritz Canada full-time

Pros

There are many exciting projects to work on. This company is open to helping you expand your experience. There is a good balance between longtime employees and new hires. The culture is so great that it feels like my second home.

Cons

I would like to know more about what other project teams are doing in market for their clients.

Advice to Management

Keep the energy in the building up and continue to be personable!

"Watched, waited and left"

I worked at Maritz Canada full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- some very good and talented people

Cons

- P&V has no voice, can't resolve anything
    - Lots of politics, inward fighting and back stabbing
    - all starts from the top (CEO) which is a disaster on it's own
    - bullying tactics, have to be a 'groupie' to be listened to or acknowledged of a job well done

Advice to Management

Get rid of the CEO and put someone in charge who actually knows the business, wants to see it grow and make a mark for Maritz vs leaving it to run itself down and wasting away good talent.

"Interesting work, mediocre work environment"

I worked at Maritz Canada full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People, clients, projects, processes, opportunity to learn

Cons

Senior Leadership direction and influence

Advice to Management

More authenticity and transparency

4. "Good Company"

Pros

Was a good company to work for, many smart people to learn from.

Cons

Career progression sometimes determined by who's next in line

5. "Sweat Shop"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

Pros

Nice office, up to date equipment.

Cons

Long hours to keep up with your workload, which continually gets larger over time. Putting in 10 hour days without lunch a few times/week is normal. High turnover 30%+/year, with many staff burning out. Management doesn't care at all about people, although they like to pat themselves on the back that they do. The only thing they care about is the bottom line, and how to improve it while cutting costs and staff. Ruthless.

Advice to Management

Look into the past when Rob Follows and Kerry Shapansky were in charge. Ask yourself what they would think of the current environment. That was a time when the staff were treated properly, and would do anything for the company.

6. "Digital Marketing Firm"

I worked at Maritz Canada full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice office, free parking, work life balance (for the most part), employee benefit program, annual functions.

Cons

Superficial, limited understanding of technology, very low morale of employees, senior management seems to be way too arrogant.

7. "Fulfilling, complex and unique!"

I worked at Maritz Canada full-time

Pros

Great office, culture and market leadership position. Has been in the Canadian market since the 90's with strong blue chip client track record.

Cons

Difficult leadership style, clique at ELT with a limited desire to promote and evolve younger team members. Good for your resume but possibly not a long term career. Not evolving with the times!

Advice to Management

Wake up and change, you need new leaders, your "Bond Brand Loyalty" focus is cool but do you have the talent to fulfill the value proposition?

"Maritz Canada was once a great company to work for. Went Downhill after 2 years of working their."

Former Employee - Account Executive in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at Maritz Canada full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great Clients. Cafeteria on site. Gym on Site. Nice Building. Most employees are nice.

Cons

Stared working in 2007. Was a great work environment for about 2 years. After that it went downhill. Management got worse. People were let go. Once a project is completed you are finished. HR is absolutely useless. If you are looking for another position within the company you have to do it yourself. HR does not help you look for new position. Only those that suck up to Account Directors move up. President runs numbers on Profit and December they start 1st section of letting people go and then again in April as May is the beginning of a new year. Every year this happens. They rearrange furniture and move people in the building every year trying to make it a better place and work environment. Maybe they should stop moving furniture and invest in their people instead. Maritz does not practice what they preach. Account Directors on Ford Team are horrible and backstabbing, but because they bring in clients and money this gets over looked. Big time problems with bullying staff. HR was brought in about the Bullying but nothing was done. Still goes on to this very day. Very big on company politics if you are not in the right clique.

Advice to Management

Lost a great V.P.. Time to find a new President.

"Great people, poor management"

I worked at Maritz Canada full-time

Pros

Great people work here and some flexibility with your schedule. Generally good opportunities for growth.

Cons

Senior management are elitists. Unless you're in the "in" crowd, your efforts are marginalized and there is no recognition. There are lots of changes underway but little focus on clear communications with the employees, so decisions are confusing. They "reinvent the wheel" a lot due to the department silos. This means a lot of extra costs to the company and the client by always creating customized solutions.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and expand beyond your clique. There are brilliant people who work there that you are losing.

10. "A company of favoritism"

Former Employee - Bilingual Customer Service Representative/Administrator in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at Maritz Canada full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some great co-workers and even a few good AS/ADs around.
    Amazing parties/ gatherings/ Kick-Off's/ Meetings
    Well known company to work for. Great opportunity to gain experience and will also help with paying for schooling.
    Diversity.
    Amazing Community OutReach programs- makes you proud to work for the company.
    Other employee events like going golfing as a team in the summer.

Alcohol at work. Yes. The Ford team party's hard.

Hours. If you are not in the call center (downstairs) the hours are actually great. People sincerely go and come as they please. There is the option to Work From Home (depending on your title).
    Unlimited SICK DAYS.
    I don't know if it is still around, but back when I worked there, we had no limit. And we got paid for them.
    Travel. I was able to attend a lot of the automotive shows and my gas, food, accommodation were all reimbursed by the company. Always more than I spent.

I sincerely loved Maritz and genuinely never wanted to leave. If I had been promoted to AC, I would have still been there today, despite the salary being lower than other companies.
    The benefits were just perfect! We got 200$ towards gym membership/ equipment.
    We have a fabulous gym on site! Personal Trainers! and classes.

I often wish I could go back- but the politics and favoritism is what prevents me.

Cons

Management does not care about your problems. If you take sick leave/ leave of absence it is looked negatively on you in the future.

We would joke amongst ourselves that there was a red mark on our files and we would purposely be overlooked for promotions.
    I had a list of all the reasons why I was not even considered for an interview for the position.

Maternity leave- you loose your position and will be downgraded in title- but with same pay (so I heard).

Favoritism. It's very difficult to be a "favorite". Unsure of what the rule is and how to get in. I think this is what caused my stress leave.
    I thought being a smoker would get me in- but no.

Cliques. It is very much of a high school set-up in this aspect. People flirt/ date each other, rumors fly, etc.

Pay. The salary is insanely low. bilingual CSR starting for me was 34k. I ended up after two years+ with 37k and left for a Head office (automotive) which was paying 45k for CSR.

Yes, I have seen first hand people who had worked for over 10yrs in the company only to be let go because we lost a client.
    Yes, it is true they LOVE hiring contracts and just extending your contract. This enables them to not provide you with benefits and vacation. IT also gives them an easy out if they want to let you go.
    Originally they were handing out 1 year contracts, now I see postings for only 3 months.
    Turn around is VERY high. So high, that it can be scary. I fear my job security regularly.

Yes, switching client teams is a huge negative. When I started applying for AC roles on other client teams, my manager pulled me up and asked why I wasn't happy on my team. She could not see that I had studied ACs duties in school and wanted to finally work in my field. Your direct manager has to signoff on all your applications. She stopped signing off on mine.

I saw people who came in well after me get promoted way above me. Then the company wanted me to train them because of my education, which they (people promoted) did not have. I was training people 3 levels higher than me on things I paid to learn in school. When I refused, they were furious.

When I told my manager that my pay was too low for the additional duties being forced onto me, she told me to look elsewhere. My position was left empty for almost a year (after I left) and they ended up raising the salary to 40k and bringing in a past co-worker of mine.

I would even go as far as saying racism because that is how I felt. People got hired without highschool diplomas and did better than I, in terms of being promoted.

Client Team Rewards. We had this recognition system within the Ford Team. So every time someone was grateful for what another team member did, they'd both get a chance to draw jelly bean from the machine and the color received provided them with a reward. For the whole year I was on the team, I never received a nomination. however the same people always did and were banking "time off" certificates.
    It was very discouraging.

Advice to Management

Be human. Every month we would have office meetings in the cafe. Bob would put on a big show and praise the teams which did well, people who were there for "x" amount of years, people who got promoted, etc. But it was just that; all a show.
    As nice a guy as Bob is, he was not approachable. I took my complaints as high as I could get them. When HR heard all my complaints, the lady (who was there for a few months) quit a couple weeks after I left. She was disgusted with the way I was treated.

Many of the employees who are there are unhappy and just working for the pay check and or benefits. Many people got into Maritz out of luck and are just sticking it out as long as they can.