Maritz Research Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Michael Brereton

Pros
  • I heard now you can work from home (in 13 reviews)

• Flexible hours, easy scripts, plenty of things to do while working, professional supervisors (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • a lot of talk about pay raises and promotions but it never happens (in 3 reviews)

• too many good people are leaving us (in 3 reviews)

1. "Professionally rewarding."

Current Employee - Work@Home Interviewer in Fenton, MO
    Current Employee - Work@Home Interviewer in Fenton, MO

I have been working at Maritz Research part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Somewhat flexible scheduling. Thorough training. Great chat monitor. Excellent for work at home newbies👍

Cons

Repetitive. Raises aren't as much as promised in training. Perks aren't enough for what's req'd of you.

Advice to Management

Extend initial training based on difficulty of the project.

"Worst company ever"

Current Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Remote, OR

I have been working at Maritz Research part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working from home
    Setting your own schedule
    Having flexible time
    There aren't many pros for this company ...
    Don't work for this company

Cons

Horrible supervisors with the exception of 3
    The supervisory staff doesn't know how to separate and check emotions at the door.
    Slave wages
    Don't have an emergency they don't care about no one but them selves .

Advice to Management

Staff needs to be retrained on how to deal with employees in a professional manner and not to be nit picking and antagonizing employees

"Overworked and underpaid"

Former Employee - Project Director in Fenton, MO
    Former Employee - Project Director in Fenton, MO

I worked at Maritz Research (More than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers, good for an entry level (1-2 years max)

Cons

Poor management decisions. Strong tendency toward the "yes"/client satisfaction mentality (rather than presenting good research)

"Work for Martiz and become a robot!"

Former Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Fenton, MI
    Former Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Fenton, MI

Pros

Work from home, weekly pay on time, make your own schedule.

Cons

I worked for Martiz for over a year. Within a month of working for them, I became a robot. Week after week, day after day, I read the same script. All surveys are outbound calls. They always had system issues. Although I made my own schedule, I never knew if I was working until I received an email each day around 2pm to see if I was on the schedule. It's hard to have a life around that type of schedule. The supervisors are nothing but a joke. I was harassed by a couple of supervisors for having a southern accent. I would receive feedback from supervisors every week or so. I was rated excellent on the majority of my calls, but a few days later would receive another review of my performance from a different supervisor who would rate my calls negative. The right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. It was really upsetting to have my calls reviewed positive only to be reviewed negative by another supervisor. Even though I brought my concerns about my performance reviews to the main supervisor, she could care less and nothing was ever done to correct the problem.
     They pay around $7.00 an hour and expect way to much out of the employees. I never had a paycheck over $100. The low pay barely bought groceries every week. About six months into this job, I became very depressed from the job. I hung on as long as I could, but eventually I had to leave. If you are okay with reading and talking like a robot, being paid very low wage, never knowing if and when you are working on any given day, then this job is for you. Otherwise, look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Pay better wages, upgrade system and dialer, work on surveys or mix them up so employees are not reading the same exact thing day in and day out.

"Maritz Research"

Former Employee - Floor Supervisor in Commerce, CA
    Former Employee - Floor Supervisor in Commerce, CA

I worked at Maritz Research (More than a year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, the management team was amazing

Cons

The company moved out of state, so it became more of a work from home type of job

"Interviewwe"

Former Employee - Interviewer in Kirksville, MO
    Former Employee - Interviewer in Kirksville, MO

I worked at Maritz Research part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cons

Repetitive, can be boring and meticulous. Angry people on the phone.

Advice to Management

Allow for more training to utilize personalized pat responses so that interviewers don't sound like robots.

"Research Leader moving to low-cost competitor"

Former Employee - Marketing Scientist in Fenton, MO
    Former Employee - Marketing Scientist in Fenton, MO

I worked at Maritz Research full-time

Pros

The leadership was at its best when it encouraged and enabled innovation. It didn't happen always, but when it happened you'd see new product development, new ideas, new adoptions. Since moving on I've realized that Maritz was not the most technologically-embracing company, but they did amazing things with what they had at hand.

The culture encouraged and rewarded team support. Even if your manager didn't recognize you often, the ability to publicly call out good work done was one of several reasons that teams bonded together.

The health insurance was good but slipped over time as premiums increased rather dramatically.

The campus is gorgeous. I used to go running almost every day at lunch. If you need to walk off problems after a tough meeting, the campus had that for you.

Cons

This is coming from having left more than a year ago.

The cyclical nature of the business isn't the company's fault, and the company probably handled it better than their competitors, but in my time there (just over 5 years) I survived three rounds of layoffs. I'm talking major reorgs where entire working groups would be gone. It was a company that kept a lot of good people, a lot of long-term employees, but this probably also contributed to higher health costs, and lower salaries.

At some point around 2011 or 2012 there was this almost pedagogical thought that filtered through management that our recent downturn would simply reverse itself and things would pick up, just because they always have. Shortly after this, major leadership began to leave. Heads of Marketing and IT, then Chiefs. When the President announced he was retiring ... and starting a new company ... it was a real sign for us that the leadership was going to move on.

The last round of layoffs was handled extremely poorly. Over an 8-month period, nearly 40% of the IT organization was let go or outsourced, slowly and with few announcements. When the interim president was asked about plans to offshore more jobs, he answered very enthusiastically that he would be glad to offshore more jobs because it was cheaper. That's when I started calling other companies in earnest.

At the same time, project managers and product owners began to leave in droves. I was one of the first to leave on my project teams, but half the teams followed within six months. Only a handful of the folks I had worked with now remain in MaritzCX.

Advice to Management

Be transparent, be open, tell employees what is going on, what to expect, and be realistic.

You are not keeping up with salaries. That is an absolute, unequivocal truth. When others began leaving and told me "yeah, I honeslty doubled my salary", I thought it was exaggeration. Nope, my salary increased 110% when I left, and no amount of good culture and flexibility can make up for that, especially when there's uncertainty.

I was worried about the Allegiance platform when I left; it was too off-the-shelf for how little it was specialized. I had expected more custom business would be pursued, but this doesn't seem to be the case. Maritz went from being a custom shop that builds reporting to suit the needs of its customers, to being a sales-focused organization that pushed one main product.

One more thing, the sales culture. I've seen it kill innovation - the question is often asked "why take the creative route to the solution when the way we already have works fine?" The answer has been and remains: "Because our competitors are doing exactly the same thing we're doing and so we're no different than them, we only charge more." I had hoped to see innovation take over, and a drive for building what others haven't built. Instead, we moved gradually towards being lowest-cost provider.

"Maritz Research -- a horrible company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kirksville, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kirksville, MO

Pros

There are no pros to this job whatsoever, unfortunately.

Cons

Broken seats, dirty headsets, unethical management

"It wasn't the best"

Former Employee - Surveyor in Valencia, CA
    Former Employee - Surveyor in Valencia, CA

I worked at Maritz Research part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get to work from the comfort of your home, no one to stand over you, you can pick your hours

Cons

Not enough hours, system is slow, calls drop all the time, a lot of talking, management doesn't care enough about fixing there software for making calls

Advice to Management

Be a little more sympathetic

11. "Good place to start"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Maritz Research part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pick your own schedule and very flexible

Cons

Getting called off work at last minute

Advice to Management

Communicate more often