MarkWest Energy Partners Reviews | Glassdoor

MarkWest Energy Partners Reviews

Updated January 27, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
MarkWest Energy Partners President , CEO, and Director, MarkWest Energy GP, L.L.C (General Partner) Frank M. Semple
Frank M. Semple

Pros
  • Flexible schedule, relaxed work environment (in 8 reviews)

• Good Pay; 401(k) is matched to 6%; Location is central downtown Denver (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of hours spent doing things twice due to lack of foresight - If you like overtime this is the place (in 2 reviews)

• This company is based out of Colorado so Pittsburgh is more of a field office (in 2 reviews)

"Going in the Wrong Direction"

Current Employee - Operator in Wheeling, WV
    Current Employee - Operator in Wheeling, WV

I have been working at MarkWest Energy Partners full-time

Pros

This used to be an amazing Job. Good Pay and benefits.

Cons

Recently lost some benefits, general mismanagement and we are merging with another company, hopefully big changes are on the way. Temporary employees are being used for jobs that are important and should be filled by qualified personnel.

Advice to Management

Go back to your roots. This became a large company because of individuals who were proud of the company. Now those same people are loosing focus on the importance of good employees and rewarding them. Bad decisions and knee jerk reactions seem to be the new trend.

"Running Lean"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Canonsburg, PA
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Canonsburg, PA

I have been working at MarkWest Energy Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Employees and contractors accomplish a lot considering the lack of adequate staffing and support. Perennial winner of industry customer service awards. Casual, flexible work environment. Lots of opportunity to take initiative and grow professionally. Good salary & benefits. Generally friendly, hard-working, competent co-workers.

Cons

Fundamental problems are often unseen (or ignored) by management due to ground-level employees & contractors absorbing the extra workload. Management would rather run lean and let the lower-ranking people pick up the slack. This can infringe on work-life balance and lead to a frustrating environment that seems as if management does not care about the common employee (or, even worse, contractor). Poor communication & formal training.

Advice to Management

Do not ignore the needs for the areas of the company that are stretched too thin.

"Horrible management but good benefits"

Former Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Analyst in Denver, CO

I worked at MarkWest Energy Partners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits are decent, though health insurance "plan" is high-deductible and cost me a lot of money.

Cons

Terrible, horrible managers. I think this was exclusive of my department, I wouldn't write this company off completely. However, upper management is clueless and shouldn't be. People are weird too, will walk by without even making eye contact on a regular basis.

Advice to Management

Know who you hire and how they treat your employees. I've never had a worse experience with a manager.

"Health Benefits are the Only Benefit at MarkWest"

Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

Pros

The benefits package was excellent and cost effective to the employee. The company is attentive to employee birthdays and giving at appropriate holidays. As a whole the people at the non-mgmt level are giving/caring individuals who support one another.

Cons

The environment is extremely dynamic requiring quite a bit of flexibility. When one is given direction (often without detail) the course frequently changes making it difficult for any capable person to keep up with what's going on. In my particular case I worked for a micro-manager who set me up for failure on many levels. He would give me an assignment and before I had the opportunity to do the work he would complete it for me.

Advice to Management

In general the company can be a great place to work. Only certain individuals need to address their managment style; giving direction with detail and then allowing the person a reasonable amount of time to complete their task. They need to realize that not all people can be as flexible without proper direction/guidence.

6. "Lacking leadership["

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at MarkWest Energy Partners as a contractor

Pros

Good pay and / or hours

Cons

Contract employees get no vacation time or sick days

"Administrative Assistant"

Pros

Decent pay for the area

Cons

Management and HR doesn't care about employees

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees

"Working at MW"

Pros

Good benefits and lunches provided frequently

Cons

Long hours and limited promotion opportunities

Advice to Management

Promote good employees before they leave

9. "Internal Employee - works with all areas"

Pros

This company is a fast-growth positioned in the energy industry

Cons

the local offices are separated from corporate headquarters - can create disconnects in prioritization, communication, etc.

"Good Place to start, Military like Management Style, Not the best place for flexability"

I have been working at MarkWest Energy Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Pay; 401(k) is matched to 6%; Location is central downtown Denver

Cons

Management is very set in their ways and unwilling to work with employees on changes to the work environment. Very little to no work schedule flexability; Absolutltey NO 9/80 schedule; Vaction time is weak and employees are limited on rolling vaction time into the next year (if you're lucky enough to not be negative!); The office space and environment are terrible and uncomfortable. You have to pay $85/month out of pocket for parking. High deductible health plan.

Advice to Management

Let the reins loose a little and listen to employee requests. Meet us half way or through us a bone.