Market America Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
James (JR) Ridinger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • For hard working people this is a great place to work (in 13 reviews)

• There are so many great people and they genuinely love the COO (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Parking can be difficult and having a sliding scale to earn more time off would benefit work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Everything is just a knockoff with profit headed to upper management (in 14 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Market America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I sincerely LOVE working at Market America. There are so many great people and they genuinely love the COO. He is always so kind and courteous to everyone. He is a good example of a great leader, employer, and person.

Cons

Parking can be difficult and having a sliding scale to earn more time off would benefit work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what your doing. You're dedication to everyone is impressive.

2. "A very good company to work for"

I have been working at Market America full-time

Pros

Family owned business that cares about employees. Everyone knows each other so there's not a lot of red tape and it's easy to communicate your needs. Flexibility, good pay, and very good health insurance

Cons

Maybe offering sick time as an additional benefit to the employees

Advice to Management

Have fun while you're hard at work!

3. "Amazing Company w/an amazing culture & unlimited opportunities"

Current Employee - Digital Marketing
    Current Employee - Digital Marketing

I have been working at Market America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you're a self-starter who can run w/the ball, this is the company for you! Lots of opportunities for smart, motivated people.

Cons

Not the place you want to work if you're lazy, not passionate about your career or just looking to collect a paycheck.

Advice to Management

Keep expanding & growing!

4. "Great"

Pros

If you're with a good team and you work, you'll get paid

Cons

You actually have to work

5. "Marketing Content Intern"

I worked at Market America part-time

Pros

The people in the department are super nice. I worked at International Product management for six months, and I enjoyed a lot of working in there.

Cons

Did not have a lot of restaurants nearby for lunch.

Advice to Management

Such a great place to work.

"A great place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Market America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Market America is an excellent company to work for. They take great pride in their products, service to the consumers, and to their employees. Everyone is hard working and really cares about the success of the company. The benefits are excellent and you can benchmark them against any Fortune 500 company. I am proud to represent Market America/Shop.com!

Cons

I've worked for this company for almost 1 year and I have no cons regarding Market America.

7. "Market America Family`"

I have been working at Market America full-time

Pros

Some of the best things that I have found in my tenure with Market America is the wholesome family feel that emanates through the corporate office. There is always room to learn and the company is always excited to continue to teach you to better advance your career. From the top to the bottom, everybody who believes in the vision of the company is dedicated and a hard worker. In addition to that, MA takes care of its employees with many appreciation days, observances of holidays, inclement weather, and even the ability to allow us to witness the solar eclipse!

Cons

Some people do not understand the hard work that goes into working an international convention and can be upset about the long hours during the twice a year event.

"Management Is TRASH"

Former Employee - Computer Support in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Computer Support in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Market America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Coworkers, holidays off, and benefits

Cons

Very old system, poor management, work not distributed fairly, hypocritical management, customer's are more important than the workers. Never enough support from management.

Advice to Management

Realize that if you stick up for your representatives working for the company; that would put great ease in our work life. The owners are not God, its OK to let them know that what a customer has complained about is a lie. Also, the workers who are doing their work always gets the short end of the stick. Doing emails at work and the weekends isn't pleasant. Team leaders just sit at their computers and look a flights all day and shop online. Get it together, all managers do is pass their work down to the already over worked reps. When you have concerns about things that are going on its always confidential and HR are liars as well. Karma will find you all, I'm just waiting on it.

"Believe the negative reviews - Disregard the bogus written positive reviews"

Former Employee - Purchasing Agent in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Purchasing Agent in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Market America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was a paycheck is about the best description of anything positive I can write. I also learned to never accept a position with an egotistical privately owned company.

Cons

Where to begin??? First the positive reviews in Glassdoor were written by either their distributors who do not work in the office or by management. You can feel the sincerity in the negative reviews that were wrote by actual current or previous employees at Greensboro. Mgt. uses the reasoning the atmosphere is this way at any company of this size. If you research managements background you'll discover they have no experience at any other company. You have an Amway salesman, a hairdresser and a car trunk perfume salesman person leading the company. It's all smoke and mirrors. Ask yourself is you know anyone who actually buys their product in the US. There is a reason they market to Taiwan and 3rd world countries. Everything is just a knockoff with profit headed to upper management. Ask about turnover and see what answer you get then call a local recruiter and inquire. Reality is 1 to 2 years of misery is about the lifespan of an employee. I would say mgt. treats you like a dog but majority of dogs are treated much better. If you enjoy screaming, vulgarity, intimidation, no promotion, no sick days, minimal vacation days then by all means work for Market America. If you consider yourself an intelligent individual looking for a career that offers skills to learn and use for future job opportunities then run from this place. You will gain no useful experience from working here. No one will recognize the name of Market America on your resume when you do decide you have had enough. In the end you will walk away with your tail between your legs wondering what you were thinking when you accepted the position at Market America and no one in the corporate world will be interested in you. You basically have just wasted your life spending time at MA. I would take more pride in holding a cardboard sign begging for money on the corner than work for the heathens that run this company.

Advice to Management

Get professional help and learn how to treat employees. Hire a consulting company to run the company. You have hurt too many employees in the past.

"This place is so unprofessional"

Pros

Health insurance hours office party paid time off Holiday off

Cons

Bossed co workers and pay

Advice to Management

Pay more attention about what's going on in the office