KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Market America Reviews

Updated Dec 27, 2021

Found 343 of over 383 reviews

3.7
Market America CEO James (JR) Ridinger (no image)
James (JR) Ridinger
Pros
  • "Market America is a family owner business that is committed to providing a collaborative and supportive working environment(in 72 reviews)

• "Good working environment with co-colleagues(in 17 reviews)

• Cons
  • "honestly i dont notice any downside during my long caree as a Market America employee(in 27 reviews)

• "The upper management family - a bunch of crazies - write false positive reviews on here(in 22 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Market America and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

great company

Mar 17, 2021 - N/A
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great company altogether, couldn't ask for anything more better

Cons

Nothing I can say bad at this time

2. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great Experience, Toxic Company

Dec 27, 2021 - Event Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is a great job to get a ton of valuable experience for your career, but not somewhere you want to stay long term. There was a lot of really good people there at the time, so I enjoyed working with my colleagues. I stayed for a while, so the pay and benefits ended up being pretty good. At some point, those things were not worth it anymore due to the toxic environment from upper management.

Cons

Toxic work environment, unrealistic expectations, and disrespect.

3. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Family run business can pose a huge risk

Nov 12, 2021 - Director of Project Management in Greensboro, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

There are some very nice, very competent, and very professional people working at Market America. I enjoyed a lot of my time there interfacing with those folks. We worked on a very complex project and they were all willing to engage and help to build out the solution. I really did like working with the larger MA team. I interfaced with someone in almost every department and they were all willing to pitch in to collaborate and get the project done on my behalf. It's a good team with nice folks working there and I can't say a bad word about 99% of them, even most of the family who run the business day to day.

Cons

This is a family-run business and if someone in the family decides they don't want you anymore, that's it. You're out. It's not a public company. They don't have shareholders to report to. And, if the CEO wants to fund a pet project for his children, that's his business and not yours. But that can lead to serious issues because one of his daughters just isn't qualified to run a technology platform and has no idea what it really takes on the build side or the marketing side, so if you work on that project, you just have to be a "yes" person to everything they want to do, which can flip flop on a dime. It's just not worth it. But, if you work for Market America on another project for one of their more successful lines, you may find it to be not a bad gig. Just gotta beware of the family politics, which can be all-consuming and highly problematic..

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

A great place to work!

Nov 14, 2021 - Information Technology
      Business Outlook

Pros

There's always something interesting going on. Management really cares about the employees. Also an amazing health care plan, better than I've ever had anywhere else.

Cons

There's always a lot going on, and some people have a "not my job" type attitude, instead of a "how can we get this done together" attitude, which can make things challenging.

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Job salary

Oct 18, 2021 - Purchasing in Greensboro, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great friendly environment for people

Cons

Needs a more professional management team

6. 2.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Market America - US

Oct 27, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Depending on which department you are working in. Some are better than others.

Cons

Lack of professionalism, perhaps it has something to do with the fact that it's a "family-owned" business.

7. 1.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Quite possibly the most toxic workplace you will ever experience.

Jul 30, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Not a single pro, take a job literally anywhere else. I feel bad for the employees stuck working here. Run far away from this place.

Cons

I could write an entire novel about all that is wrong with Market America, however it will fall on deaf ears because upper management does not care a single bit. Every negative review gives a true picture of what working here is like so please do not take them lightly. I only wish I had considered them before accepting a job here. Positive reviews are fake - just like many reviews state, positive reviews are written by HR and upper management in an attempt to save face.

11 people found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Innovative company that cares about it's employees

Nov 12, 2020 - Vice President of Business Programs in Greensboro, NC
      Business Outlook

Pros

There's a lot of great things to say about Market America. How many companies do you know that spend time and money to honor all the veterans that work there, or spend whatever it takes to keep their workforce safe during a world-wide pandemic, or constantly look at ways to recognize and uplift their employees? I've worked a lot of different places and there are few that have been great around these things as MA. Management is extremely accessible, if you have a great idea that helps make things better or save the company money, it's easy for you to be able to share that idea and see if it can be implemented. Most importantly, you have the ability to grow at MA. It takes work and you need to take initiative, but the team here feels strongly that it's much better to keep and grow an existing employee.

Cons

You can work a long day here and not even realize it. I regularly work through lunch without even realizing that I missed it.

9. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Outrageous and I recommend you run for the hills

Sep 25, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

A lot of unappreciated and abused wonderful people.

Cons

Egomaniacal and out of touch with reality "management" group...including ownership. It's a pyramid scheme and nothing more operated by truly hideous, soulless wicked people.

6 people found this review helpful
    10. 1.0
      Former Employee

Would not recommend.

Aug 28, 2021 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Paid weekly, benefits available, on-site nurse, some nice coworkers.

Cons

Very toxic upper management. Lots of yelling, belittling, unprofessionalism from owners and “leadership” Micromanagement. No room for growth. Expectation is to work even when you are on vacation and family/work life balance is non existent.

9 people found this review helpful
    Viewing 1 - 10 of 343 Reviews

Market America Reviews FAQs

Market America has an overall rating of 3.7 out of 5, based on over 383 reviews left anonymously by employees. 73% of employees would recommend working at Market America to a friend and 59% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -14% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Market America employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.6 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Market America. This rating has decreased by -18% over the last 12 months.

73% of Market America employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Market America 3.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.3 for culture and values and 3.4 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Market America to be benefits, career development, coworkers and the cons to be senior leadership, culture, management.

Popular Careers with Market America Job Seekers