Market America Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 24, 2018

3.8
James (JR) Ridinger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There are individual teams around the company but everyone comes together to make it a great place to work" (in 15 reviews)

• "There are so many great people and they genuinely love the COO" (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "Parking can be difficult and having a sliding scale to earn more time off would benefit work/life balance" (in 10 reviews)

• "Management acts as the medium between you and upper management" (in 14 reviews)

1. "Opportunity for Advancement"

I have been working at Market America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Market America provided me with the opportunity and experience I needed to advance my career on multiple occasions. After starting as a temp, the company recognized my hard work and dedication and I have received several promotions since. If you put in the work, the opportunity to grow will follow.

There is the opportunity to collaborate with multiple departments on projects and teamwork is valued among all departments.

All staff and management are knowledgeable about roles and always willing to provide insight into certain aspects of the business when needed.

Executive team and senior employees are very hands on in on boarding and developing members of the company.

Presented with multiple challenges and projects daily, allowing those who put in the effort to advance.

Cons

The size and scope of the company mean things are face paced and ever changing. Thus, employees must be able to learn quickly and be a self starter (which may not be for everyone).

2. "Not The Place for Everyone"

I have been working at Market America full-time

Pros

Great Compensation
    Always work to be done
    Not likely to go away any time soon

Cons

Very stressful, especially near conventions
    New priority projects can come down the pipe really quickly
    Can end up working long hours

"Opportunities for advancement = favortism"

I worked at Market America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Food trucks
    - Only a few nice coworkers to work with. They're down to earth awesome and make the job not as hard. Some of these coworkers are trapped since they're older and only have a skillset that isn't really desirable elsewhere.

Cons

- I find it unfair and biased that the anonymous employee who posted the comment with a title "Opportunity for Advancement" says that he/she got promoted many times after only working more than just 1 year. Favoritism at it's finest. I sure would love to know why they got promoted so many times when many of us others have been here for years and don't get the opportunity. Even with all the knowledge favoritism beats experience here.
    - Trying to implement projects at the speed of light is not for the faint of heart
    - Benefits are okay. Bigger cities offer competitive pay and better benefits. You are very underpaid here.
    - Working for a Private company can have its cons as the direction follows the directors or ceo instead of shareholders. Some days you are doing your stuff for a project and the next they tell you to stop what you're doing and finish the ones at their priority. When done with their priority you get yelled at for not finishing your other projects you had to put on hold. Are you ready to do this every week? Are you ready to live this life on repeat?
    -When I was there they had these nasty chairs in the meeting rooms. Holes in the arm chair, and chairs that were broken. You can tell these chairs were very worn. I wonder if they've resolved that issue...
    -More than half of the employees don't even know the company values. I don't even know it. We didn't practice these ... so called values.
    - No future outlook. No future... nothing interesting going on here.. nothing to brag about either.
    - Don't ever work for the call centers. From what I hear everyone says its a nightmare down there. (Just a word of advice).

Advice to Management

Your fake reviews are trash. How about putting the effort to making the company great like the 5 star reviews you claim?

"Get in, Get experience, Get Out."

I worked at Market America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pros were some good co-workers to be around with. My advice is to just get in and get some experience and then get out. Don't stay.

Cons

Just about everything. Like I said, its a good job to get your foot in the door and get experience on your resume and then LEAVE. You can never grow or get promoted in your position. It's laughable to think you are able to in this environment. As a bonus, you learn how they try to make a terrible work environment livable.

You won't see a single pro review talking about their department. You don't see a review that will say "I like the direction of where IT is growing and we share ideas on how to improve our processes" or "In the accounting department, we build teamwork and communicate well in correctly processing reports" or "Management is transparent with their goals enabling us to be excited about the company direction." You don't see any good descriptive details of ANY departments. All you see are fake positive reviews on "HOW GREAT THE COMPANY IS!" OR "THERE IS GROWTH!" OR "I WISH THE PARKING LOT WAS BIGGER" or "YOU'RE RESPECTED!" Not a single review has went in depth or detailed in how great their department is. Just a bunch of fake reviews defending the company by just praising it but not even talking about the departments that maintains the company.

I see some reviews talking about growth. Growth for what? What position? What benefits? What experience? I don't see a single review of anyone in any department growing in their position. I would love to see some reviews going into detail of what "growth" is doing for their [insert position]. You can go through the entire history of these glassdoors reviews and you won't find anyone telling you what growth actually means. Growth does not mean "GREAT EMPLOYER!" or "TONS OF ENERGY!" or "FAST PACED ENVIRONMENT!" or "GO THE EXTRA MILE!" Growth truly means being able to be involved in innovating projects, being able to obtain certificates to apply knowledge, and being able to build a strong skillset. For this company, they'll keep you in 1 role performing the same thing over and over. Don't even bother asking to try and learn something new. I received backlash for this and I highly encourage you, if you work here, to not even bother asking. If you do, you will experience being hounded on and given a "how dare you" since they found you the job and gave you the opportunity.

The talks about growth does not go into detail at all. There is no passion in many pros here. All I see are UFO customers talking about the A-M-A-Z-I-N-G growth of "growth." If you ever ever work here at the HQ, ask people how long they have been in their position and if they've been promoted before. Sincerely ask anyone.

The fake 5 star non-employee reviews here are just pathetic. Everything about those reviews scream fake or paid. They honestly need to create a Market America Unfranchise Owner(UFO) review section because apparently, 4, 3, 2, and 1 star reviews don't exist. Those reviews are completely exaggerated and you will never see a 1 star UFO review because who wants to be in denial? Who wants to pay a subscription and sell the stuff they're paying for and give a 1 star? UFO's are just customers to the company. It sounds terrible to put it that way but the truth hurts. The cons are just laughable such as "wishing the parking was a notch bigger" when there is already a lot of empty parking spaces.

If you have read this far into this con review, and are desperate for a job, keep in mind of what I have stated and do your best regardless.

Advice to Management

None because they don't care lol.

"Not worth the anxiety"

Former Employee - Graphic Design
    Former Employee - Graphic Design

I worked at Market America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nurse on site, food trucks

Cons

Benefits, Management, Stress, Hostile, Recognition

Advice to Management

Care about the employees more.

"Joke"

I have been working at Market America full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some great coworkers who seem to sadly be trapped.

Cons

Lack of professionalism at the top. Yelling, screaming and cursing (at employees and each other).

Advice to Management

You are all a joke, and not a funny joke. You are all despicable, disgusting creatures that have sold your souls for what? None of you are happy people.

7. "Unfranchise business owner"

Current Employee - Supervisor Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Market America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

free time , very good training,personal growth, friends and possible ongoing income

Cons

I like the company system and JR created a very good chance to achieve finance independent for normal people

Advice to Management

I wish the company can open more international market in different countries

"Hazard pay should be required!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Market America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you like the feeling of vomiting everyday while driving into work, then this is your place! Drive a Tesla? Guaranteed it will take you back home.

Cons

I’ve worked with extremely tough executives and I have thick skin. Never in my life (until working here) have I heard so many condescending words and have been made fun of after returning from a funeral! (Looking back, it was like working with a 3 yr old. Tone of voice was changed with squinting face and all). There’s absolutely zero compassion and the CEOs are two faced. I read another review mentioning “yelling matches,” and that’s absolutely correct! Yelling and firing are constant and it doesn’t matter if you’re family or not. Like being flipped off, this is your place! It’s an extremely unhealthy company to work for.
    Don’t get suckered in! It’s not worth your health or sanity... even if you do have thick skin!

Advice to Management

Learn compassion and seek daily therapy!

9. "Perfect side-deal"

Current Employee - Seller in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Seller in New York, NY

I have been working at Market America part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Been a part of MA for 6 months and I only wish I had discovered it sooner. It's an absolutely relief to have them on your side if you really, really need that side income.

- applied and employed very quickly
    - received extensive and useful training right off the bat
    - received my started kit and had everything explained
    - that's it, no hassle, you do your thing and earn $$$

Best side deal I had in my 43 years!

Cons

There are literally no cons. Competition perhaps, but if you're truly willing and ready to sweat a bit - you're very likely to reach your earning goals within a month or two. This is exactly what happened to me - and more!

Advice to Management

Keep being awesome, don't change anything!

"Not for the faint of heart..."

I worked at Market America full-time

Pros

Some really smart and genuine people

Cons

Some really cutthroat and childish people so can be taxing

Advice to Management

Value input from dev teams and PMs more on IT side... put more stock into roadmaps