Market America Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
James (JR) Ridinger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • For hard working people this is a great place to work (in 14 reviews)

• There are so many great people and they genuinely love the COO (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Parking can be difficult and having a sliding scale to earn more time off would benefit work/life balance (in 9 reviews)

• Management acts as the medium between you and upper management (in 14 reviews)

1. "Great Experience"

I have been working at Market America full-time

Pros

Family owned business with great employees. There are individual teams around the company but everyone comes together to make it a great place to work. The management team is pretty awesome too. Not too many COO'S are approachable but with Marc Ashley, he always make time to chat with the employees. And there's room for growth.

Cons

Outside of the occasional shouting, which happens at every company I can't really think of cons.

Advice to Management

Support and build your employees up. They do a excellent job. A little gratitude and respect goes a long way.

2. "No place like Home!"

I worked at Market America full-time

Pros

Family owned business with great co-workers; a company that cares about you and will look out for your best interest! The culture is not like corporate America but rather feels like a home away from home

Cons

It’s a culturally diverse company so sometimes I wish I knew multiple languages in order to build more relationships with other coworkers

Advice to Management

Continue to support and build up your employees and the culture of Market America/Shop.com. You are doing a great job!

3. "Good place to work with room for growth"

Current Employee - Staff Accountant
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant

I have been working at Market America full-time

Pros

room for growth, good benefits, multicultural, life/work balance.

Cons

very fast paced. if you don't keep up you will fall behind.

4. "A company that Wants To Win!"

I have been working at Market America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Many opportunities to express your thoughts, talents and passion for what you do. I have been with the company for quite some time now and have had many opportunities because of these principles. I know there are some complaints here but no place is perfect. If you really care about what you do this is the place for you. Give it a shot and make your own decision ... have recommended jobs to many employees at company and they are still here...

Cons

no real items to post here

Advice to Management

Keep striving to be the best!

"One Star is too High for this company - How to analyze these reviews"

Former Employee - Anonymous Professional in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Professional in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Market America (More than 3 years)

Pros

As terrible of a place this is to work at, it was a paycheck. The best pro was the day I was offered another job at a morally correct and upstanding corporation where professional people work. Please read my Cons comments and I'll tell you how to decipher the the real reviews posted from the false ones wrote or coerced by management.

Cons

Everything except getting that paycheck. Unprofessional, screaming at employees, belittling by management. They list 500 - 1000 employees as this includes the independent sales people who they con into believing they can make money selling their product. 500-1000 is huge variance because people come in and go out broke. Ask how many are at Greensboro and then look at the large number of openings. No one stays for long. Look on Glass Door for reviews on companies in Greensboro: Honda Jet, Caterpillar, Volvo, Herbalife. Notice there are very few 5 stars. This is because people are honest as no job is perfect as described in MA reviews. Most people give good companies 3 -4 stars. Ask yourself why does MA receive such mixed reviews that are either 5 stars or 1 star. The reason is 5 star reviews are either wrote by mgt or mgt asked employees to write to help them bring in job candidates. 1 star reviews are written either honestly or by a disgruntled employee. When you have numerous 1 star reviews you know there is a problem as no company has that many revengeful employees. The 1 stars are written hoping you do not make the same mistake they made by accepting employment at MA. If you enjoy unprofessional mgt, screaming at employees, profanity, fearing for your job and no room for advancement then perhaps MA is for you. Ask human resources how long they have been at MA and turn over rate. If you are a professional make them sign a contract and see what response you get. Most importantly, look at other major corporations in area and how there ratings compare to MA and see if you see great to terrible reviews. Then ask yourself why is MA like this. The answer is easy and transparent so don't be so eager for a job you don't do your homework. Scooping dog doo doo off the sidewalk is more rewarding than working here. Call your friends and family and ask them if they have heard of MA. They are unheard of in the United States and just a small grain in the sand. Management (consists of family) has made a lot of money at the expense of their employees and the people who they sign up thinking they will make money but all they do is lose money to this family business.

Advice to Management

Grow up and become professional. Hire a 3rd party to take over the company who knows how to treat employees. Quit cursing, yelling, belittling your employees and treat them with respect.

"WHAT was I thinking"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Market America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You have free parking and get to eat from food trucks

Cons

Management is shady. When you feel like you have to take a shower to get the slime off of you when you get home. Company is family run by greed. There is too much nepotism here. There are some people trying hard to correct bad behavior by owners but show any backbone and you aren't there long.

Advice to Management

Take your "profits" and get out of town

"Danger Danger get out while you can"

I worked at Market America full-time

Pros

Really the only pro is the fact they will give you a raise every year but thats only in my department I can say for
    If you like to travel for free they will send you to Greensborough NC every 6 months

Cons

Everything. No Literally.
    My manger was cool until the end. People say other managers really really bite the big one.
    The will fire you if you take a vacation in the month of July or February
    They lied to get me to work there. What they told me the plan was for the company in the upcoming years never came true and they ended up letting me go cause their company took another route.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees when they speak to you about their concerns.

8. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Market America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I sincerely LOVE working at Market America. There are so many great people and they genuinely love the COO. He is always so kind and courteous to everyone. He is a good example of a great leader, employer, and person.

Cons

Parking can be difficult and having a sliding scale to earn more time off would benefit work/life balance.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what your doing. You're dedication to everyone is impressive.

9. "Amazing Company w/an amazing culture & unlimited opportunities"

Current Employee - Digital Marketing
    Current Employee - Digital Marketing

I have been working at Market America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you're a self-starter who can run w/the ball, this is the company for you! Lots of opportunities for smart, motivated people.

Cons

Not the place you want to work if you're lazy, not passionate about your career or just looking to collect a paycheck.

Advice to Management

Keep expanding & growing!

10. "Great"

Pros

If you're with a good team and you work, you'll get paid

Cons

You actually have to work