Market America Reviews | Glassdoor

Market America Reviews

Updated February 21, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • For hard working people this is a great place to work (in 13 reviews)

• One of the things I loved most about the company was meeting all the great people who work there (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Like most other companies of its size work life balance can be a challenge (in 8 reviews)

• upper management could use some leadership courses to better deal with stress and how to lead and respect employees (in 11 reviews)

1. "Nice company"

Pros

Good benefits, friendly co-workers! I like how everybody's very nice to one another. They always help you when you need it.

Cons

None, they're pretty good to employees. Sometimes the job gets stressful when the deadlines are in play. They pressure you to do your job well even if you already are.

Advice to Management

Don't take advantage of interns and new people. That's all I can say. Pay them well, too. Without them, the company will be stuck with new people and will drive away new talent.

"Great Place for People who want to make a difference"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Market America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been working in the engineering dept as a software engineer for many years and i have grown with the company and they have valued my input from the very beginning until present day. There are not many companies that you get to work with the COO, CEO, SVP and Upper Management and in most companies you don't even see them unless it's onstage. Not at Market America, they are a company that prides itself on the word "Team" and everyone is a part of it, including them. I can't tell you how much you can grow with this company and how much they will challenge you to provide the most innovative and best solutions for their customers. If you are a PROFESSIONAL software engineer this is the best place you can be to grow. We manage many sites across many verticals, cosmetics, weight loss, music, mass media, mobile, facebook apps, browser plugins, global sites that ship to every country and SHOP.COM our main website has millions of customers, 80+million products and in many countries and languages just to name a few. The biggest pros about working for this company is we are a team of individuals who strive to provide the best solutions for our customers and WE ALL have a say in the products and solutions that we provide. I am proud to be working for a company that was just ranked as one of the best place to work in the triad, don't believe me google it. Bottom line, If you are more than just a "DOER" and you believe you have the skill, motivation and drive to deliver great solutions for the company and you are looking for an opportunity to grow with a growing company then it's the right place for you. Come join the team and make your own decision!

Cons

Can't think of anything bad or worthy of mention, i enjoy working with a company that values my opinion and skills.

Advice to Management

Keep stretching us to create and grow. I didn't come work for the company to be bored or not stretch my talents or imagination, i came because i saw a company on the rise with a vision that was far reaching and that hasn't changed in over 10+ years.

"Actual Facts."

Pros

The products are fun to work on (if the deadline bit is removed). I get bored easily, and I can honestly say I never even approached bored at this company for the several years I was there. This is an enterprise level company that does business in many countries, in many languages. They have a tremendous variety of products and services available, and some incredibly complex business logic that I found to be extremely interesting as a developer.

There are pockets of brilliance here. There are several tremendously talented individuals who have not left the company yet, presumably because they either don't know there's something better, have life circumstances preventing their moving on, or are masochists. For whatever reason though, there is some real talent there, and certainly the camaraderie of working day and night with high stakes for weeks on end with the same folks garners some great friends. Yes, the *vast* majority of the coldfusion organization is so far behind with technology it is laughable, but there are some really interesting bleeding-edge innovations going on in most of the other development groups.

They will hire basically anyone regardless of experience. They're so desperate for people, you can get a job there with no experience at all. The best way in is to find an employee and talk to them, and have them send your resume. Interestingly, this has worked to the company's advantage, as these newly minted developers don't know there are much better working conditions, and often become some of the most talented people there. If you're looking for a job and don't have experience, but can prove you're smart, you can probably get a job there, put up with hell for a couple of years, learn a ton, and then move on to better things. Definitely not a bad place to start a career; I would, however, question the judgement of experienced developers who start working here.

Twice a year, the company hosts a big convention (3-8k people), and typically they talk about the products that you've lost countless hours of sleep, tears, sweat, friends, spouses, etc, building. It is very rewarding to see all of those people using your products, their gratefulness, & genuine excitement.

On site nurse is pretty awesome. Makes it easy to get prescriptions, do bloodwork, etc.

These people know how to throw a party. They might not want you to have access to their precious supply cabinet, but the company picnics & christmas parties are always off the hook-- definitely not to be missed.

Cons

It's a trainwreck. I was in the IT department, specifically coldfusion so this review speaks to that role. This is a company that rewards hard work; if you enjoy working hard, and doing nothing else in life, this is the place for you. Yeah, they might pay a little better, but that's the premium for owning your soul. They don't reward being smart and getting things done efficiently, in fact, efficiency and process improvement are so far removed from their mindset that those who actually do attempt to make things better are ridiculed, marginalized, and bullied out by those few people who are willing to dedicate their entire lives to only working. Don't believe me? Ask them about their "version control". Heck, interview there just so you can ask them and then enjoy their awkward answers dancing around how they keep 6 million lines of code organized across a development team so badly managed that it's gone from over 50 "front end" developers to about 15 in 5 years. Really though, grill them for details. It's the most ridiculous process I have ever heard in my life.

The deadlines are insane to the point of hilarity, projects are driven by non technical people, and people who are technical but not particularly bright (but are hard workers-- remember they rise to the top-- and don't understand that normal people like to go home at 5 and see their family) tend to set the deadlines and make promises. They're not out to do anything but make themselves look good for the owners, which means they push for even those deadlines to be achieved even more swiftly & don't care who is destroyed in the process. For example, and this actually happened to me personally (paraphrased): "Hey, we need [feature-x], how long do you think it would take?" "THAT?! A year at best-- a year and a half to do it right, if we throw everything we have at it!" "Well, you have 3 weeks, and we still need the other stuff." "But it's christmas... why did you even ask?!" Sure, there is a ping-pong table on the floor, assumedly to attempt to lure potential new hires into a false sense that the work environment is fun. The day it went in, a memo was sent saying that it was ONLY for use after work hours. There used to be a cornhole league during lunch hours, but it was deemed to be "infringing on work time" (aka... lunch hour) and was disbanded.

Coldfusion is ruled with an iron fist. If you're totally fine with taking complete direction for every step, even to the point of *literally having other people write the code for you* and your job is to copy/paste it, ask no questions, and keep your head down, this could be an ok place for you to work. Unfortunately, even this is too challenging for some of the developers. The level of incompetence that they are willing to endure is mindblowing. I can't even begin to describe how stifling of an environment it is to work in. Since some of the heads of that group are marginally competent at best and can often be noticed doing such important things as... playing video games all the time, they insist loudly that everyone else also remain so. Just to be clear, "loudly" is not figurative. You will be yelled at (actual screaming), cursed at, humiliated, lied to, lied about, bullied, and not a single thing will be done about the blatant abuse from HR, managers, or anyone else-- regardless of how many people were witnesses. Heck, they will probably give them an award.

Speaking of abuse and inappropriateness in the workplace, it's surreal. Yes, there is rampant nepotism, and certainly pockets of misogyny (sometimes together!), but the worst most certainly are the unhinged anger issues alluded to in the previous paragraph. These are not anecdotes, all of the things in the paragraph above happened to me personally, and I personally watched happen to others. I saw people crying, sometimes in bathrooms trying to hide the tears, others didn't even care anymore and would weep openly at their desk... just heartbreaking. It was commonplace, it was an accepted part of the culture and no one would lift a finger to do anything about it. After leaving this company, It took several months for me to "calm down" (mostly, probably a year to fully recover). My experience was not uncommon. I have spoken with many other ex-employees who had the same experience of realizing work didn't need to be a never-ending panic attack. I had a mentality that for every meeting held, I was going to be yelled at/about, every day I wasn't going to be producing enough fast enough-- just a complete, overwhelming panic all day, every day. I had several health issues that magically resolved themselves after about 6 months away from that place; also, sadly, not an uncommon experience.

The owners of this company make more money than God, but are misers to the nth degree. I kid you not, if you want to get a dry erase marker, you have to submit a purchase request, wait for it to be approved by the owner of the company (typically 4-6 weeks) and *then* they unlock the supply cabinet and hand over a single marker. Most people just get their own supplies. The majority of the equipment is secondhand-- the chairs are crappy and often broken, the break rooms are poorly stocked. The luxury of items such as computer peripherals are only granted to the lucky few. Don't expect to receive such things as a functional mouse, much less a second monitor. If you're lucky, you will start with a new computer, but getting an upgraded computer once you've started is virtually impossible. They expect cutting-edge technology to be developed on dinosaurs that are barely capable of running at all, much less writing useable code. The open floor plan that was adopted a couple years ago features things such as walls that were partially built by maintenance and never finished, desks that are not quite big enough for anyone over 5'6", extremely awkward "open space" that is unusable, and a color scheme that is offensively yellow, reminiscent of a child's daycare. There is no soundproofing whatsoever, and unless you are lucky and in a corner, you can about guarantee distractions of people walking around talking; it's like trying to work in a crowded bar all the time-- basically the last thing you need when you're trying to solve a complex problem in 1/100th the amount of time necessary.

Advice to Management

Doesn't matter what I say; the answer is "Change drastically", but the managers in place now got there by being stubbornly opposed to change.

"Purchasing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

Pros

This company has no pro's. They are all cons

Cons

as they say buyer beware. This goes for people who work there. Be careful on what you say and who you say it to.

Advice to Management

All upper management and the owners need to retire and close up business

6. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

Pros

I have been with Market America for over 20 plus years and I have to say I have never worked for a company like this. Market America provides a wonderful opportunity for learning and growing. Employees are empowered and have the opportunity to take on new challenges. I have been with Market America for over 20 years and there has not been a single day where I have been bored at work. Upper management and executives. cares for their employees and always have an open door if you ever need to talk. How many companies do you know that take their employees to heart like this. We are built on Product and powered by people this is why I absolutely love my Job.

Cons

some of the Managers in the company doesn't know how to lead, you must first know how to be a leader in order for others to follow.

Advice to Management

Continue to build morale and motivation. You are all Great!

7. "Great Opportunity for Growth"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Market America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Market America provides a wonderful opportunity for learning and growing. Employees are empowered and have the opportunity to take on new challenges and projects. I have been with Market America for approximately 5 years and there has not been a single day where I have been bored at work. Employees have access to top level management and executives. As a 20-something, working directly with VP's and C-level executives is truly an invaluable learning experience. Market America is a great opportunity for employees who are eager to learn, grow and take on new challenges. At other companies, career paths are often pre-determined regardless of performance. Market America rewards employees who take initiative and ownership and it's a great opportunity to continuously learn and challenge yourself.

Cons

Sometimes the approval process for purchases can take a while. Fortunately, management has an open-door policy, so if there is something urgent that needs quick approval, all you need to do is ask.

Advice to Management

Continue initiatives to build employee moral and motivation, they are working and we appreciate it!
    Also, it would be great if Market America offered some sort of tuition reimbursement or scholarship to employees who would like to further their education. I am currently enrolled in an evening MBA program and have already been able to apply what I have learned in class towards my role at MA.

8. "Curious Conundrum"

Pros

ma can be fun and fulfilling as it is in the business of creating entrepreneurial opportunities for people, and the company is led by entrepreneurs. ma has a focus to stay ahead of consumer trends and new business practices. Innovation is the daily theme at ma, yet the traditional and proven strategy of containing expenses and maximizing revenue to build a strong cash flow is ever prevalent. ma leadership recognizes performers and appreciates them. Every chance to work directly with an ma UFO to help them succeed is very rewarding. These things can make ma a great place to work as you see your efforts help UFOs grow and reach their goals.

Cons

While many corporate environments strive to promote entrepreneurism, ma is entrepreneurism required to create a corporate environment to facilitate employees that operate the ma business. This can have its difficulties and dysfunctions.

Advice to Management

The core of ma is a one-of-a-kind, unique business model that continues to give many people an opportunity powered by product and built by people. Perhaps ma could in the same way look for ways to steer away from conventional corporate practices and create a unique and innovative work culture for its employee base.

"Just stop!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Market America full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay, health clinic on site, fair paid time off and many friendly coworkers. Convenient location in the Triad. Decent health coverage.

Cons

Insane leadership (for lack of a better term). If there is a VP in the title or higher than that and you have any interaction whatsoever my advice to you is to run and run as fast as you can. Do not pass go and do not collect two hundred dollars.

Advice to Management

You are driving away any real good talent you have in that building and you are making it so the company cannot attract and keep good talent. You are only hurting yourselves. Take yourselves out of the equation all together and bring in a real management team. Executives that do not berate and belittle and who realize that those who have helped make Market America what it is today are actual human beings and deserve to be treated with respect and dignity. Unfortunately you are all so arrogant and mentally disturbed you will never see it. You are so far out of touch with reality that it doesn't seem there is a lick of hope for any of you. You will destroy that company and when that happens the only hope will be that you all end up where you were when you started the company. Penniless. I'd say worthless but you are already there.

"Technology"

Pros

They have great insurance and benefits. The people are nice and treat you like family. They pay well but you work hard to earn it.

Cons

Working twice a year for annual conventions with no vacation time to be taken before each event

Advice to Management

Be kind to your employees. They want to do a good job for you. Treat them as you would like to be treated. Give them a chance to redeem themselves if they make a mistake.

11. "Great Company to Be a Part Of"

Current Employee - Social Media Community Manager
    Current Employee - Social Media Community Manager

I have been working at Market America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When I first applied, I read the horrible reviews on here. However, I decided to go in with an open mind as most employees leave any company disgruntled. I'm so glad I took a chance because I love working at Market America. Thanks to my amazing team, I have grown both personally and professionally. I work with a few of the executives on a daily basis and am always treated with respect and that my input and ideas are truly valued. I love working with a company that is constantly looking to improve and stay current with trends in marketing. There is always a chance to learn and grown. Each day is different than the last. Since starting in April 2015, I have traveled to new places for work events as well as conferences to further my knowledge to grow and in turn help the company grow. It is a very diverse workplace which is very nice to meet new people and learn new things. Employee appreciation events are very nice and families are welcome to join. I truly feel that I'm not only an employee at Market America, but a part of the company.

Cons

There could be more morale and employee incentives for performance and achieving goals to feel more appreciated by the owners and top executives. As a parent, it's very difficult to have vacation days, sick days, and personal days all rolled into one. It would be nice to have a certain amount allotted for each so I didn't have to take a PTO day to stay home with a sick child and lose a day from our family vacation to do so. The owners visited corporate last November and took around 100 employees out to a very nice dinner. I was fortunate to go and really enjoyed seeing them in a different environment and relaxed. It was a nice change of pace, I would like to see happen more often. Without the fancy dinner even, just more time at the corporate office interacting with employees. There is no place to voice suggestions.

Advice to Management

The approval process to implement new programs or purchase necessary tools takes a long time, especially when things change so quickly in the social media world.