Market America Reviews | Glassdoor

Market America Reviews

Updated September 21, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • For hard working people this is a great place to work (in 13 reviews)

• One of the things I loved most about the company was meeting all the great people who work there (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Like most other companies of its size work life balance can be a challenge (in 8 reviews)

• Everything is just a knockoff with profit headed to upper management (in 14 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Market America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic family-like working atmosphere, relatively good level of autonomy.

Cons

I'd rather not say at this time.

Advice to Management

Keep supporting the team, be consistent.

"Please dear God, make me a bird so I can fly far-far away"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

Pros

Pays weekly. Premium healthcare plan is phenomenal. Discounts on their products - markup of ~10% over company's cost (I hope you like makeup and vitamins). There are/were a few really friendly, intelligent and motivated employees... Shoutout to you, Papa! They are open for trying new technologies and ideas.

Cons

Yikes! Where to start?

If you think you can stomach working for a company whose sole purpose is to part suckers with their money, read on and we'll see if I can dissuade you from joining.

Pay is roughly 15% under market unless they REALLY need to fill your position.

401k matching is a joke. 2% max at 8% employee contribution.

Within my first few months, my manager asked the team to put padded reviews on Glassdoor as they are aware of how abysmal it is to work there... I guess trying to fix what's wrong with their organization would require too much work/ self-reflection and honesty.

Many coworkers take an openly hostile attitude toward each other and are unwilling to work together nor are they willing to accept constructive criticism. Big-fish-in-a-small-pond syndrome mixed with a healthy amount of prima donna.

Management acts as the medium between you and upper management. They will tell you they'll support and defend your work but readily throw you under the bus when their butts are on the line. Ineptitude amongst middle management is rampant as many/most have been with the company since inception and are friends/ former schoolmates of the founding management group - nepotism rules.

95% chance you won't make as much as the Ridinger's hairdresser (~$100k). "Narcissistic megalomaniacs" is an understatement.

Don't expect to sit anywhere comfortable; I think the newest office chair they have is 15 years old. Don't expect a second monitor unless you really like CRTs.

And the #1 reason not to work here is:
    They aren't making money in the majority of markets they operate in. The ones they are making money in aren't doing as well as they hoped. One of these days you'll show up to work to find the doors locked.

Advice to Management

Find jobs outside the Ridinger Nepotism-Wonderland so you can build real world skills.

"Substandard environment, angry, hostile, infantile"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Market America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits aren't bad and many very nice coworkers and that's the only reason I gave 2 stars.

Cons

So called management is childish, ignorant and just plain nasty. If you receive an offer from this company and believe only half of what you see in the reviews you will do the right thing. Keep looking.

Advice to Management

Hand over control to real professionals because professional you are not.

4. "Amazing Company"

Current Employee - Entrepreneur in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Entrepreneur in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Market America part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I absolutely admire the hard work and effort the company put forth to make sure their products are top notch. I appreciate the leadership and forward momentum. This is a great company and more importantly AMAZING products!

Cons

I would say that some of the team leads should be certified to be in their positions. It would definitely help get their teams moving forward in a positive manner.

Advice to Management

I would recommend having your managers go through a management training certification. I believe this will help in recruiting and most importantly keeping the right people.

"Hard work isn't necessarily valued"

Former Employee - Marketing in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Marketing in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Market America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, the conventions are a lot of fun, food trucks almost every day and great people

Cons

Hard work isn't valued really and compensation is less than average. Only 5 days of pto and no sick days for the entire year. If you're sick, you have to use your pto

6. "Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Manager in Greensboro, NC

Pros

Coming from the stuffy Corporate toxic environment . I absoutley love this place, Market America is by far the greatest company I have ever worked for. I get excited about going to work everyday. As a single mother the Paid Time Off is truely been a God sent. Benefits are great! Its great to work at a place where everyone is friendly including the Executive Staff very down to earth and kind !

Cons

More parking, and the parking can be a long haul if your late

"Love it or Hate it"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Market America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Depending on your department, the other employees are wonderful, sweet individuals.

Cons

Hostile management style throughout the company starting at the top. Some employees have worked there for decades and are happy, most are disgruntled and feel taken advantage of.

Advice to Management

Get some new blood in top positions. Family squabbles do effect the workplace.

8. "Great for diversity"

Current Employee - Analyst in Greensboro, NC
    Current Employee - Analyst in Greensboro, NC

I have been working at Market America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most open and accepting environment I have ever worked in - including much bigger corporations with diversity initiatives. If you can do your job and do it, doesn't matter about age, race, gender - anything. Just be able to deliver the job you said you could do. Really friendly supportive co-workers pretty much throughout the company. Company pays well, great insurance at bargain prices.

Cons

Some departments have better opportunities for advancement than others but all companies are same there.

"Wish I were there"

Former Employee - Team Assistant in Greensboro, NC
    Former Employee - Team Assistant in Greensboro, NC

I worked at Market America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Market America was a great company to work with. It is a stable forward-thinking company that continuously strives to grow. They make their employees feel like part of the Team and an important part of the Company's success. Even though they were willing to work with me while I took care of my elderly parents, I felt it was only fair to pass the torch.

Cons

The only downside to working with Market America are the food trucks that show up every week. I personally, tend to indulge too frequently.

Advice to Management

The Executive Team is powerful and passionate. am. I would advise them to delegate more and teach everything they know.

10. "BEST DECISION EVER!!"

I have been working at Market America full-time

Pros

Been on the job for a couple of months. From day one have felt like part of the team. Everyone is extremely nice and helpful. Couldn't ask for a better working environment. They are eager to help you learn and advance within the company.

Cons

Right now the construction on Highway 68. Other than that-nothing.