Market Strategies International Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Andrew Morrison

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The people at Market Strategies are great people, some of the best I have ever worked with (in 7 reviews)

• A challenging and extremely rewarding work environment, balanced by a lot of fun off-work activities that promoted camaraderie (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of "fire drills", long hours and it was no secret the benefits were subpar (in 5 reviews)

• Flattery provides faster career advancement than job skills (in 3 reviews)

1. "Good place to work!"

Current Employee - Research Associate in Livonia, MI
    Current Employee - Research Associate in Livonia, MI

I have been working at Market Strategies International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I absolutely love my boss and I am grateful to work with intelligent teammates. Honestly, my boss has a lot to do with my job satisfaction. I feel that she really considers my career aspirations when assigning projects and she willingly gives me professional advice if I ever need it. This company has given me the opportunity to gain market research experience and get exposure to a lot of interesting methodologies that I haven't worked with before.

I appreciate that the culture is balanced between being fun and laid back while also being a professional and productive environment to work in. Getting to wear jeans to work every day makes my morning routine so much simpler!

Working with a designated industry group helps make it feel like a tight-knit team even though there are hundreds of employees at this company. I've enjoyed getting to know my colleagues and their working styles during my time here so far. It's nice having less of the red tape that you might find in a bigger corporate research firm.

Cons

As with any client-facing business, there can be high expectations to meet in a short time frame. Especially during Q4, there are tight deadlines and many projects to manage, which can make it difficult to take time off at the end of the year.

The conflict I see with being a mid-sized firm is that we compete with everyone from boutique research companies to Goliath corporate firms - but where do we take ownership? I'll stay tuned to find out.

I have reasons for getting excited about my work but I don't feel connected to the corporate values. Much of the communication from our leadership team is about revenue. While revenue is important for all companies, incorporating some collective meaning for our work that transcends dollars would make this an even more rewarding experience. I think we're headed in a positive direction.

Advice to Management

It would go a long way if the PTO hours would roll over (at least through January) to help ease the stress at the end of the year and around the holidays. Would the company ever consider adjusting the fiscal year from January-December to perhaps October-September?

Other than that, I am satisfied :)

2. "New leadership is strong"

I have been working at Market Strategies International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are a lot of awesome people who work here. There is a new president and she is great. On the whole, everyone works hard and works well together. Great teamwork.

Cons

The bottom performers need to go. They get in the way of being successful. There are some weak managers who don't fit the current management style. Teach them or move them along to other things.

Advice to Management

Get rid of those employees who aren't performing, they detract from your good employees.

3. "Low advancement"

Current Employee - Analyst in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Analyst in Portland, OR

I have been working at Market Strategies International (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, nice downtown location

Cons

Very little employee development, weak company strategy

Advice to Management

Lack of opportunity creates lots of churn

4. "Great first job after graduate"

I have been working at Market Strategies International full-time

Pros

Flexible time and not very high pressure

Cons

A little bit too laid back, doesn't have much challenge at work everyday, benefits not very satisfying

5. "Wonderful Company"

I worked at Market Strategies International full-time

Pros

Smart people and good work

Cons

No real cons. Loved it

Advice to Management

vvv

6. "One of the best places I have worked!!!"

Former Employee - Contracts and Compliance Specialist in Livonia, MI
    Former Employee - Contracts and Compliance Specialist in Livonia, MI

I worked at Market Strategies International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people at Market Strategies are great people, some of the best I have ever worked with. There is always something to do as a change of pace. If I was in a different spot in my life, I would have never left. The work/life balance is a great part of Market Strategies.

Cons

There wasn't a con for working at Market Strategies. This company gave me exactly what I needed at the time I needed it.

Advice to Management

My manager was excellent. I have never had a more understanding, flexible and knowledgeable boss as I did at Market Strategies. One of a kind!!!

7. "Very entry level"

Pros

Good job for college student or first job. Old computer programs...boring job..get hung up on alot...some surveys are way too long.

Cons

Limited full time opportunities... Boring

8. "Nice company to work for"

Pros

People are nice to work with.

Cons

The workload can sometimes be overwhelming

9. "Over worked, under paid"

Pros

It was a job that paid the bills

Cons

Lots of "fire drills", long hours and it was no secret the benefits were subpar.

Advice to Management

Actually staff to the amount of work that needs to be done

"Life Sciences"

I worked at Market Strategies International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Paid well. Remote work is an option.

Cons

Senior level, especially key management not in touch with day-to-day business and employees. Individual goals and career advancement not outlined nor clear. Work environment extremely negative as the culture was nonexistent. Not a team environment. Everyone looking out for themselves and often throwing others 'under the bus.' Very petty and political. Glad to be gone.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at who is running your IGs. Won't have to dig too deep to uncover the reason for diminished sales and high turnover.