Market Strategies International Reviews | Glassdoor

Market Strategies International Reviews

Updated April 7, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Flexible, good people, work from home options and really understanding with schedule (in 4 reviews)

• The people at Market Strategies are great people, some of the best I have ever worked with (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of "fire drills", long hours and it was no secret the benefits were subpar (in 4 reviews)

• Flattery provides faster career advancement than job skills (in 3 reviews)

1. "Overall, a good company."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livonia, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Livonia, MI

Pros

Young and energetic workplace, with a strong northwest coast vibe and the insight to recognize that times are changing in regards to workplace offerings.

Cons

While working from home is an option for most, there seemed to be a lack of flexibility among certain departments - specifically within the IT areas.

Advice to Management

Things are heading in the right direction.

"SEnior Supervisor"

Former Employee - Senior Supervisor in Livonia, MI
    Former Employee - Senior Supervisor in Livonia, MI

I worked at Market Strategies International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Learned something new every day, worked on high profile projects. A good "bridge" or second job. Staff is usually hired from a well-educated pool of applicants.

Cons

Not a place to plan for a career unless you are promoted to management.

Advice to Management

If you're the same as I remember, don't change a thing!

"No clear vision or leadership"

Former Employee - Lead Analyst in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Lead Analyst in Portland, OR

I worked at Market Strategies International full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Worked with a good group of people in the Portland office

Cons

Poor leadership and vision for the company. Lack of 401k matching. Tone deaf to organizational culture woes.

Advice to Management

Devise a strategy, stick to it, and lead the company into profitable years.

5. "Okay part-time gig"

Current Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Telephone Interviewer in Nashville, TN

Pros

Very flexible shifts available with the option to choose the times you come in and leave (note that if you change your schedule, you must work that schedule for at least 30 days before changing it again if you need to; Provides paid training; positive work culture with fun supervisors (some) and co-workers; while a part-time position, they offer the ability to come in and work hours you are not scheduled for based on client needs and hours available; Promotion opportunities made available; Open door policy with all management

Cons

Low pay ($8, which goes to $8.75 after completing the 90 day probation period and .75 cent raises available after each year); Trainers/Supervisors not all trained to be or qualified to be in management and leadership positions; paid training provided but the curriculum contains many flaws; not allowed to use cell phone in down time (between calls as its an automated system that dials the numbers for you but has 1 to 2 minute delays between calls/ you can doodle and work in crossword puzzle/Sudoku books but cant read from actual books in between calls, which I find strange because I'm a big reader.

Advice to Management

Allow for employees to submit their comments and suggestions (anonymously if needed) and follow through with the suggestions; further develop the training curriculum so that it's not so dull and more interactive instead of requiring us to read the manuals from cover to cover

6. "I love it here."

Current Employee - Interviewer in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Interviewer in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Market Strategies International part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone is super nice and the job is fun, it has very flexible hours and right now is offering full time hours! I think that everyone should give it a go! You won't regret it one bit. People are very considerate and it does offer room to grow... pay raise after 90 days = 75 cents.

Cons

Pay starts out at 8 bucks an hour wish it was better compensation. I dont see this as being bad as it weeds out the baddies:)

7. "Solid experience but little potential to grow within company."

Former Employee - Research Associate in Livonia, MI
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Livonia, MI

I worked at Market Strategies International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, ability to take on new tasks and responsibility to gain a variety of experiences, ability to work from home, good location and nice work spaces.

Cons

Inability to grow within company unless there is a position open to apply for (difficult for certain career paths), top heavy, little direction from upper management, underpaid workers.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the good employees and reward them while they are still around. Many have already left so it's probably too late now.

8. "Ok first job"

Former Employee - Interviewer in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Interviewer in Nashville, TN

I worked at Market Strategies International part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good part time hours for people who just need a second job. Good money and hours for maybe a high school student someone who doesn't have any bills.

Cons

Pretty strict environment. If you are use to have a free flowing dialect with customers this is not the position for you. You can be written up for not reading verbatim and answering customers questions

"Nothing interesting about this company"

Current Employee - Market Research in Livonia, MI
    Current Employee - Market Research in Livonia, MI

I have been working at Market Strategies International full-time

Pros

Depending on the manager, you can work from home some days. That is pretty much it.

Cons

Highly political environment and promotions are based on friends promoting friends model so plenty of unqualified managers who don't know how to manage and can barely use basic MR tools such as SPSS. Managers are self serving and "add value" by escalating issues so it is a CYA type of culture. If you aren't in a sales role, you don't count even though you are expected to work 60 hours a week. There is no training for staff unless you are in Sales ("Client Manager"). Constant turnover and layoffs creating heavy workloads for those remaining. Company likes to hire people straight out of school but no real, meaningful training so lots of issues and stress. Would only recommend this firm to someone who is laid off. This isn't a place to join if you are looking for career advancement.

Advice to Management

Instead of placing pressure on the "doers" you really need to start looking at those who are in leadership IG roles not delivering what they have promised.

"Great place to start your career."

Former Employee - User Support in Livonia, MI
    Former Employee - User Support in Livonia, MI

I worked at Market Strategies International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a great place for anyone starting out, especially if you're interested in a career in research. There is much experience to be gained and many of the people are intelligent, hard working, and kind. I will admit that Market Strategies unlike many companies of it's size provides a sense of camaraderie amongst its employees.

Cons

Compensation and personal growth varies depending on position/department. While some departments offer guaranteed upward movement in as little as one or two years, it may be common for others to have employees with 6+ years of experience with zero career momentum. The largest complaint is the decrease in moral due to the steady increase in work load, in relation to the steady decrease in raises.

Advice to Management

Encourage communication and listen to what your employee's are telling you.

11. "A Chance for Mentorship"

Former Employee - Admin in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Admin in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Market Strategies International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked with a lot of people at Cogent, but I remember working with Christy the most. I learned a lot from her, such as keeping calm under pressure, how to revise my work efficiently and effectively, and how to negotiate various matters. I enjoyed my time working with her because she knows how to balance managing a business, but she is also sympathetic to her employee’s needs, as well as discreet with personal matters, e.g. family deaths, illness, etc. I found her to be a supportive, approachable boss, and I hope to emulate her in future positions I myself hold.

Cons

It's a smaller company, so sometimes you need to wear more than one hat; however, it is usually temporary. As long as you have good time management skills, and know how to effectively prioritize, it should not be a problem.