Market of Choice Reviews | Glassdoor

2.3
Market of Choice CEO Rick Wright
Rick Wright

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good benefits for full time employees (relatively speaking) 401k benefits after 1 year partially matched (nice) (in 10 reviews)

• Nice physical environment (I won't lie, the store is beautiful) (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management is a group of young men with not enough management skills (in 10 reviews)

• Department heads are always complaining about upper management not supporting them (in 3 reviews)

1. "better than other grocery stores...is that enough?"

Former Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Eugene, OR
    Former Employee - Prefer Not to Say in Eugene, OR

I worked at Market of Choice part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great importance placed on customer service and great customers! BUT not as good as one might hope.
    Good benefits for full time employees (relatively speaking) 401k benefits after 1 year partially matched (nice). Will often work with limited availability if you are part time employee.

Cons

Not enough training. Lots of rules which is fine but so much to soak in initially. You sign job description initially for your position yet are expected to multitask 4 jobs on your own within 1 week. I'm bright but COME ON! I am just ONE person. I can't handle 6 customers by myself because sales say we are too slow to have more help. Maybe higher labor in smaller stores should be ok. Well if you want to keep employees it's a good idea.

Advice to Management

Turnover seems excessive. Where is the disconnect? Does company need to rethink hiring/training process? Do managers need more training? Do new employees need more training? Probably all of the above.
    Putting new employees on their own with minimal training and limited staffing in smaller stores seems to create a make or break scenario... can't handle the heat, tough! Bye bye!
    Managers seem to do all they can within their means to train new staff but it seems training time is not separate from labor for any department. Maybe high sales stores can absorb that burden but working in a small store I struggle as I try to train new employees. Seems like new employees feel like they can't be successful because no one has time to really walk them through everything. Lately morale is really low even while management struggles to keeps a brave face on.

How about Dedicating 40-80 to training a new employee? Is that more expensive than possibly setting new employees up to feel inadequate? Idk check the market research on it...I'm sure there is research on it.

Regardless market of choice you do what you want. I am seeing loyal staff losing the ability continue to buck up and stay the course. For your sake I hope I am wrong. Good luck

2. "Sink or swim...unless you know or are related to"

Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Eugene, OR
    Former Employee - Front End Cashier in Eugene, OR

I worked at Market of Choice part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Local independently owned grocer. Works to keep it local and generally caters to customer requests. Quality deli and bakery products. Smaller stores mostly offer awesome customer service...

Cons

While pros mentioned are true sometimes smaller stores seem not to be staffed well enough for the employees to handle workload and customers on the manner the customers have grown accustomed to.

Advice to Management

Turnover seems high recently. What has changed? Are your employees compensated and appreciated appropriately? Are new employees given enough training? Are stores staffed so employees can do their jobs and not be pulled in too many directions? Are your labor expectations reasonable? Are you training new employees to succeed or to just be a body to fill a shift?

3. "Good work if you're in University"

I worked at Market of Choice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They will work with your school/university schedule

Cons

Weekly schedules are not very flexible.
    High customer service standards.

4. "Kitchen clerk"

I have been working at Market of Choice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My co-workers are awesome. They just don't stay.

Cons

The upper management is a group of young men with not enough management skills. Their choice of department heads is in many cases poor.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes and pay attention to what is going on. The turn over is ridiculous!

5. "Working here is a nightmare."

Current Employee - Kitchen Staff in Bend, OR

I have been working at Market of Choice full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Coworkers are nice and funny when morale is high, though its tough to keep them around. Going to lunch is enjoyable most of the time.

Cons

The upper management consists of all young men who clearly go through the motions. The temperature in the kitchen is boiling hot in the summer and freezing cold in the winter due to a "broken" heating unit that they refuse to get fixed. Many of the other machines and equipment are broken or break constantly. Some of the department heads have obviously slept their way to the top, and cannot effectively run their areas, making the turnover rate skyrocket higher than usual. None of the new people get trained because there is not enough people to train them. If new people don't learn quick, it is very easy to get lost and not know how to do the job. The clientele is extremely rude, which would not be so bad if there was any upside at all currently. If are reading this, crumple up your application.

Advice to Management

Open your eyes. You know who to fire, and who to promote, so do it before all your hard-working "foot soldiers" are outnumbered by the people who don't recognize their hard work.

6. "Decent Employer"

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at Market of Choice full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Likes to hire full time - and give you your hours
    Has great benefits
    Schedules are done mostly by seniority standing - the longer you work there the less closing shifts you have
    PTO

Cons

No employee discount and even a small one would make a huge difference for the the employees. In all honesty, it is the number one thing employees complain about.

Advice to Management

Create some sort of employee discount or maybe even give out gift cards to the store when people get good reviews. I really think it would boost moral store-wide and give better incentive to do a great job

"Not the worst job, but a lot needs to be improved."

Current Employee - Apprentice Clerk in Bend, OR
    Current Employee - Apprentice Clerk in Bend, OR

I have been working at Market of Choice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great Co workers (which is why most people stick around honestly), flexible hours and they are family oriented so time off or emergencies are accepted, benefits available with full time.

Cons

Too few employees so everyone is stretched too thin. There is very little appreciation for those who run around the store doing multiple jobs. There is a reason there is such a high turn over rate . Several of the people in charge so not deserve their position and are terrible at it, yet nothing is done to improve, even with verbal complaints. The pay is all over the place and is not fair in most cases.

8. "Caution"

Current Employee - Loss Prevention in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention in Eugene, OR

I have been working at Market of Choice (More than a year)

Pros

Write your own schedule, employees and Mgmt out side of department were friendly

Cons

deparment manager knows all and does not like questions

9. "Not what it seems"

I have been working at Market of Choice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice building . quality food .nice customers. Not much else good to say about it . looks good on the outside that's about it

Cons

Horrible scheduling. Do not pay scale . Not for people with families . Looks good on the outside but low budget behind the scenes .

Advice to Management

Don't try to sell what you don't do to recuit new people

10. "A race to the bottom."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bend, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bend, OR

I have been working at Market of Choice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beautiful store. When they opened the store they had some well qualified and personable staff. They have a wide range of products.

Cons

Low wages and continually less staff for more work. They will even turn down the heat in sub zero winter,to save a few cents. Don't work there if ANY other job is available.

Advice to Management

Poorly trained or unqualified department managers are quickly running off qualified people.