MarketStar Reviews in Ogden, UT | Glassdoor

3.8
MarketStar President and CEO Dave Treadway
Dave Treadway

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • My position is field-based, which allows for excellent work/life balance (in 34 reviews)

• good company, good pay, great first manager (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • The company started losing its family culture towards the end of my time there with some restructuring of upper management (in 31 reviews)

• Some work is for contracted amounts of time, so job security is iffy (in 22 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Variety, change, and a great place to start out your career"

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Ogden, UT

I have been working at MarketStar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I get bored easily, and I've never been bored here. There is always something new, which is the essence of an "agency" type model of outsourced sales teams. There is always a new team getting started, a new client. I've also built of solid list of skills just from the day to day and all the different tasks I've been given. This place is a great starter for a career -- especially when you can work for such huge brands and stay home in Ogden.

Cons

Teams come and go. That's the nature of an outsourced agency, clients pack up and leave. It sucks to see it happen, but it happens. The great thing is when clients go away, they try and place the affected reps FIRST. There are always openings, and people almost always get placed.

Advice to Management

The family leave (maternity) could be better, but the family dedication is great. Never stop having family be a part of the core values. It's awesome.

2. "Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Ogden, UT

I have been working at MarketStar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture at MarketStar is great. There's a great work-life balance and opportunity for growth, too. I left 5 years ago and coming back was one of the best decisions I made for my career.

Cons

The pay is a little lower than comparable jobs, but the culture is better at MarketStar.

Advice to Management

It'd be nice to see Directors and VPs from time to time, other than when we see them in company wide meetings.

"Don't Work Here - Not Worth It"

I worked at MarketStar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the better paying places to work in Ogden. You get experience working with great resume building clients.

Cons

There are a lot of internal politics and favoritism at Marketstar and a total lack of transparency on operation processes or employee rankings. It is a hard place to work for women because at times it very much feels like a boys club and management rarely listens to women. I also witnessed several ruined marriages in the few years I was there. MarketStar has a reputation for managers giving special attention to women who give physical attention back, or reward women who give physical attention to clients. Then, when the scandal breaks, it seems all they do is put the manager in a new position of power. I've recently connected with former colleagues who say this is still the way that Marketstar operates today.

Advice to Management

Stop protecting employees, especially management, who break corporate policies and create hostile/uncomfortable work environments.

"Mediocre pay and benefits"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ogden, UT

I worked at MarketStar full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

good work /life balance, benefits were good-but-not-great and are now poor

Cons

Pay will ALWAYS be below-market.
    No matter how loyal and hardworking you are, when your contract ends and you are out the door, expect no loyalty from the company. -individuals, absolutely yes. Marketstar has NO loyalty.

Advice to Management

if you find someone who is willing to work for as little as you pay, maybe work to keep them around when the contract is cancelled

"Never really left the office"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Ogden, UT
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Ogden, UT

I worked at MarketStar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Freedom over PTO, movies, random perks.

Cons

I hate sitting in a cube. I also hated that I was never really had a break from working, even at home. Management wanted their team to be available to the client at any time. I don't love AdRoll enough to take time away from my family to help clients 24/7.

Advice to Management

Be realistic about goals.

6. "Mixed bag, but mostly good"

Former Employee - Sales Support Position in Ogden, UT
    Former Employee - Sales Support Position in Ogden, UT

I worked at MarketStar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Training is good, willingness on the part of management to invest in new technologies, business development is robust, new clients coming on very often, mostly good people to work with, good perks (minus the Christmas party): movie days, Boondocks, other goodies, depending on what team you are on. Great culture, values employees and rewards them generally.

Cons

Feeling of low pay in the market, inability to compete in market for similar positions, somewhat slow in moving to adopt new technologies, clients are sometimes shaky in renewing business, so as a contingent worker, your position could be eliminated without warning; Needs more employee rewarding based on merit, particularly for the kind of work that is less visible, and especially when a client goes out of their way to comment on it.

Advice to Management

Better Christmas parties, be more aggressive on getting new clients, pay better for positions and catch up with the market, and recognize employees who the client says have gone above and beyond for them.

7. "Pinterest Partner Manager"

Current Employee - Partner Manager in Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Partner Manager in Ogden, UT

I have been working at MarketStar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Healthy work environment, chill managers, decent benefits, hourly + commission.

Cons

Extremely high goals which lead to very few people making any decent monthly/quarterly bonuses. Feeling of being over-worked and under-paid.

Advice to Management

Rather than sitting in 10 meetings a week with Pinterest HQ and each other, perhaps it would be a better idea to take some of that time and train your employees so more people will be equipped to hit bonuses.

8. "Decent Company"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Ogden, UT
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Ogden, UT

I worked at MarketStar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay was decent, They always had fun events going on (Movies,Food, Games)

Cons

Hard to get promoted unless you share the same beliefs as upper management.

Advice to Management

Try hiring and/or promoting people from a more diverse background instead of your own.

"It's okay"

Current Employee - Account Representative in Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Account Representative in Ogden, UT

I have been working at MarketStar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good atmosphere. Management is fine. A good place to get your feet wet. A few nice perks.

Cons

Pays Utah wages. It's a call center, so get used to smiling and dialing.

10. "Inside Flash Channel Manager for NetApp"

Current Employee - Inside Flash Channel Manager in Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Inside Flash Channel Manager in Ogden, UT

I have been working at MarketStar full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company environment and culture. Fantastic team moral. Really good benefits and pay is great for the work we do. Location is also a plus for me.

Cons

The only con for me is not knowing how long Marketstar contracts will last.

Advice to Management

I am a person dedicated to what ever type of work I do. I do not need to be micro-managed. I am on time and will do what it takes to complete my job. I am a gym goer, and I apply the same principles to my work life. "Nothing comes easy, you have to be willing to put in the hard work, in order to make a positive impact."