MarketStar Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
MarketStar President and CEO Dave Treadway
Dave Treadway

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • My position is field-based, which allows for excellent work/life balance (in 29 reviews)

• good company, good pay, great first manager (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • The company started losing its family culture towards the end of my time there with some restructuring of upper management (in 30 reviews)

• Doesn't seem to be much room for growth within the Verizon program (in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Variety, change, and a great place to start out your career"

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Ogden, UT

I have been working at MarketStar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I get bored easily, and I've never been bored here. There is always something new, which is the essence of an "agency" type model of outsourced sales teams. There is always a new team getting started, a new client. I've also built of solid list of skills just from the day to day and all the different tasks I've been given. This place is a great starter for a career -- especially when you can work for such huge brands and stay home in Ogden.

Cons

Teams come and go. That's the nature of an outsourced agency, clients pack up and leave. It sucks to see it happen, but it happens. The great thing is when clients go away, they try and place the affected reps FIRST. There are always openings, and people almost always get placed.

Advice to Management

The family leave (maternity) could be better, but the family dedication is great. Never stop having family be a part of the core values. It's awesome.

2. "I like this company they treat me with respect"

Current Employee - Event Specialist in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Event Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

I have my schedule well in advance and know my schedule, great part time job, they respect your input on your position. Very good with product knowledge

Cons

Need more sales training for part time employees in retail sales

Advice to Management

Continue adding companies

"Freedom"

Current Employee - Market Training Specialist in Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Market Training Specialist in Ogden, UT

Pros

I have been very happy with the freedom to build my own market and develop work and training plans that best meet my dealers needs. The trust given to associates in the field is exceptional without the level of micro management I have seen with other companies

Cons

Salary and bonuses could always be better but considering this is my only real complaint not bad...

4. "Marketstar is a great company to work for"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at MarketStar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Benefits, Good Pay, Strong teams

Cons

Client issues, bad client management

5. "Great company, family friendly, exceptional benefits."

Current Employee - Business Development in Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Business Development in Ogden, UT

I have been working at MarketStar full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits are fantastic. The company is family friendly and they have an exceptional reputation with thier clients. The work is exciting and changes enough to keep it interesting.

Cons

Most work is on a contract basis and some programs, even sucessful ones, can end. If you work hard and are reliable they often find another contract for you to work on.

Advice to Management

There are a lot of very smart and capable employees at MarketStar. Find a way to hear what they have to suggest, there are nuggets of wisdom that can make MarketStar stronger.

"A Great Company"

Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative IV in Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Representative IV in Ogden, UT

I have been working at MarketStar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company is awesome. Very flexible, safe environment. Company atmosphere is laid-back, large open floors. Above average starting pay, great benefits, and awesome perks (team dependent). You will gain many connections here, and will have many opportunities to network.

Cons

Mormon run company. Hard to go up and up unless you know managers, directors, or you are in their ward. Most job offerings are figured out behind the scenes; they wheel and deal as they see fit. This can be tough to break in.

Advice to Management

Focus more on performance, not on who you know.

7. "Best place I ever worked"

Former Employee - Regional Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Regional Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at MarketStar full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great hours, benefits and company culture. The ability to work pretty much on your own without constant micro management is great. Also when you have a personal problem or a sick day you aren't badgered about it the way you are in most company's. Very generous with holiday, vacation

Cons

When the contract ends if there is nothing in your are and you dont get on in a month you have to start your tenure from scratch.
    Its hard to be on a team and then get turned down when applying on another team and not getting any feedback as to why.

Advice to Management

Better incentives for good performance to the average worker would pay big dividends in morale. Even though a contract ends people who do a good job should be able to come back at full tenure if another position becomes available down the road

8. "Fantastic company!!!"

Current Employee - Google Specialist in Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Google Specialist in Toledo, OH

I have been working at MarketStar part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very organized, pays well, had fantastic training. Wonderful company in every aspect

Cons

The only thing about this job I wish was different ,was that my position was temporary. But they did inform us all before hiring

Advice to Management

Have more positions that are full-time and not just temp

9. "Truly a great company to work for with a great culture and family friendly"

Current Employee - Software Architect in Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Software Architect in Ogden, UT

I have been working at MarketStar full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, family focused, opportunity to move up, ability to work for many different name brand companies. In the last 3 months I've worked on projects for HP, Canon, LG, HTC, Verizon, and Sony. Where else can you do that? Great stability during this economic depression.

Cons

Pay is lower than average, small company owned by a HUGE publicly traded one which means you put up with the same policies/procedures as the large companies which can be highly annoying and has a tendency to limit creativity

Advice to Management

Don't loose the small company feel...the best people don't want to work for a large company, we enjoy working for the small ones.

10. "Stay out of the Ogden office and you'll love it."

Former Employee - Senior Technical Sales
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Sales

I worked at MarketStar full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great culture, depending on the account team you're on. Great place to make some bones as a sales person. Terrific work-life balance. I loved my time at Marketstar.

Cons

You will never make much money and *never* expect a raise. You have to change positions to get a salary bump. Draconian cube-slave work on a few accounts, but the "professional" accounts (read: not in the Ogden office) can be a GREAT job.