MarketStar Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
MarketStar President and CEO Dave Treadway
Dave Treadway

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • My position is field-based, which allows for excellent work/life balance (in 34 reviews)

• good company, good pay, great first manager (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • The company started losing its family culture towards the end of my time there with some restructuring of upper management (in 31 reviews)

• Some work is for contracted amounts of time, so job security is iffy (in 22 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Variety, change, and a great place to start out your career"

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Ogden, UT
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Ogden, UT

I have been working at MarketStar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I get bored easily, and I've never been bored here. There is always something new, which is the essence of an "agency" type model of outsourced sales teams. There is always a new team getting started, a new client. I've also built of solid list of skills just from the day to day and all the different tasks I've been given. This place is a great starter for a career -- especially when you can work for such huge brands and stay home in Ogden.

Cons

Teams come and go. That's the nature of an outsourced agency, clients pack up and leave. It sucks to see it happen, but it happens. The great thing is when clients go away, they try and place the affected reps FIRST. There are always openings, and people almost always get placed.

Advice to Management

The family leave (maternity) could be better, but the family dedication is great. Never stop having family be a part of the core values. It's awesome.

2. "Okay Work"

I worked at MarketStar full-time

Pros

flexibility and being in the field not in an office, free swag depending on the client

Cons

programs can end and give you 0 notice and only a conference call, low salary

Advice to Management

give your people more time to get a job .. pay better and make managers closer to their employees so there is more leadership locally

"Don't Work Here - Not Worth It"

I worked at MarketStar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

One of the better paying places to work in Ogden. You get experience working with great resume building clients.

Cons

There are a lot of internal politics and favoritism at Marketstar and a total lack of transparency on operation processes or employee rankings. It is a hard place to work for women because at times it very much feels like a boys club and management rarely listens to women. I also witnessed several ruined marriages in the few years I was there. MarketStar has a reputation for managers giving special attention to women who give physical attention back, or reward women who give physical attention to clients. Then, when the scandal breaks, it seems all they do is put the manager in a new position of power. I've recently connected with former colleagues who say this is still the way that Marketstar operates today.

Advice to Management

Stop protecting employees, especially management, who break corporate policies and create hostile/uncomfortable work environments.

"Work was great while it lasted"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Manager

I worked at MarketStar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay, fair commission, management easy to work with

Cons

Drops all employees as soon as the client cancels the contract. No severance when being laid off.

5. "Great place to start getting experience"

I have been working at MarketStar full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Depending on management, flexibility and support are really great.

Cons

No real career path to speak of, unless you want to wait in a very long line for a management position.

Advice to Management

Improve top-down communications.

"Looking to get out"

I have been working at MarketStar full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Freedom to use PTO whenever you want, decent work life balance, good health insurance.

Cons

Management doesn’t trust you. I matter what level of rep you are or how hard and dedicated you are. No annual or cost of living raises. Management is a good ole boys club.

Advice to Management

Stop covering your problems with “blanket statements” and address them with whom they need to be addressed with. Trust the employees who have earned it and stop giving freedoms to those who haven’t. Do away with your management boys club mentality, it’s pathetic.

"Never really left the office"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Ogden, UT
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Ogden, UT

I worked at MarketStar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Freedom over PTO, movies, random perks.

Cons

I hate sitting in a cube. I also hated that I was never really had a break from working, even at home. Management wanted their team to be available to the client at any time. I don't love AdRoll enough to take time away from my family to help clients 24/7.

Advice to Management

Be realistic about goals.

"Laid Off Due to Contract Issues"

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Hartford, CT
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Hartford, CT

I worked at MarketStar full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They pay well and provide you with a laptop and IPhone. They are Mormon and there is a big focus on family, so if you have a sick child calling from school, for example, you are encouraged to take time to pick them up at school. That was definitely a benefit.

Cons

3 months into job, the 2 vendors had a contract agreement issue and I was given a month until I was laid off. My manager said that there was another similar role they would interview me for, but they never got back to me. They even had a career counselor work with me to help me obtain new job. He never got back to me. No one returned my phone calls. I felt that was very unprofessional. Just recently, they have been contacting me again for another local position. I just cannot trust them, as it seems management is unable to follow through with their promises or even have the decency and common courtesy to return a phone call.

Advice to Management

Please hold managers accountable for following through with promises. I have spoken to 3 other former employees unrelated to my employment who describe a similar situation. They are hired and then the contract abruptly ends. They are promised future employment and then they are left hanging.

"Mediocre pay and benefits"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ogden, UT

I worked at MarketStar full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

good work /life balance, benefits were good-but-not-great and are now poor

Cons

Pay will ALWAYS be below-market.
    No matter how loyal and hardworking you are, when your contract ends and you are out the door, expect no loyalty from the company. -individuals, absolutely yes. Marketstar has NO loyalty.

Advice to Management

if you find someone who is willing to work for as little as you pay, maybe work to keep them around when the contract is cancelled

"Didn't get paid"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Long Island City, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Long Island City, NY

I worked at MarketStar part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Seemed like a great company

Cons

Never saw a paycheck for the time I spent there