Marketing Innovators Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Lois M. LeMenager

1. "A great employment opportunity!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemont, IL

I have been working at Marketing Innovators full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This company is on the cusp of excellence. Managers and VP's (including the President) are all supremely friendly. I've had every opportunity to voice my opinion and take the reigns on project initiatives.

Cons

Need more process orientation and rigor. Some of the entry tier employees can use more feedback on how to perform better.

Advice to Management

Be more critical of employees who are not carrying their weight. Reward the key players more appropriately.

2. "Respect, for my position and my life outside of work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemont, IL

I have been working at Marketing Innovators full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I feel like I have a voice at MI, like I can say what needs to be said without fear of reproach. There is an openness to ideas and change that I haven't found at my other employers. Also, I have been given the ability to be flexible with my time to avoid terrible traffic and work from home as necessary. That is a huge factor in my enjoyment working here.

Cons

There is some resistance, from the CEO, to making the changes needed to stay agile in this changing world. But, the President and VPs are all very good at making changes happen despite this.

Advice to Management

Better training on certain products used in this company would be appreciated.

"MI uses full time employees like temporary contracts"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemont, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemont, IL

I worked at Marketing Innovators full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Generally very friendly and involved staff
    -Great culture

Cons

-Management has/will be going through more than 5 firings of new employees in just the past 6 months. (This is unheard of at a company as small as MI)
    -Training is non-existent in many departments and has been especially mentioned by almost every new member in the IT department
    -Expectations are insane and reviews are unrealistic and unhelpful (clearly showing predetermination on who will stay permanent and vice versa)

Advice to Management

What you are doing with new employees is borderline evil. It seems a real possibility that everyone in my department that has been hired will soon be fired at some point in Q1. This will only last so long and until word gets out. Also, seeing as the job market is getting better, this will come back to bite when trying to make new hires.

MI needs to learn what it is trying to accomplish and start holding more appropriate interviews and stop using this "expendable" technique with new hires.

Marketing Innovators Response

Mar 2, 2015 – President

Thank you for your feedback. We feel badly about your experience and value everyone's perspective. We are already working to improve ourselves based on your input. At Marketing Innovators, our world ... More

"I've been given every opportunity to succeed at this company and to contribute to it's success"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rosemont, IL

I have been working at Marketing Innovators full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Small Company - Common goals across the organization, allows an employee to contribute to many areas outside of their Position Title
    Incentives - Company has provided many incentives to motivate and reward employee performance and years of service
    Atmosphere - feels like a startup atmosphere at times due to their flagship product being an online software system, 1x a month friday afternoon social clubs with the entire company, open communication regarding what is going on in the company

Cons

Being a smaller company sometimes creates challenges
    - Roles and Responsibilities are sometimes not clearly defined
    - Resource constraints due to budgetary reasons

Advice to Management

The company and business environment around is is constantly changing. Be willing to change with them and keep the momentum going

"For an incentive company they sure do not provide incentives to the employees."

Former Employee - Applications Developer in Rosemont, IL
    Former Employee - Applications Developer in Rosemont, IL

I worked at Marketing Innovators full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people, enjoy the friendships developed. Always enjoyed coming to work and the projects that we worked on.

Cons

Management has no clue on how to treat the employees. No raises in 4 years then lame attempts made to provide incentives to only have executive management make them unattainable.

Advice to Management

Wipe the slate clean. Manager that have been there for 20+ years are ill equipped for the technological age.

7. "Strong Company and Team"

I have been working at Marketing Innovators full-time

Pros

Flexible work environment - you're trusted to do you job but there's support available if needed. Interested managers who listen to employee ideas and try to implement the same. Lots of opportunities to engage with employees from other areas.

Cons

Training and development are not given much importance - there's a lot of young people in the company who should be taking classes to maintain their skills ... there's a lot of seasoned people in the company who should be taking classes to improve/modernize their skills - "I don't know how to use <insert name of common company tool here>" should never be an acceptable reason.

Advice to Management

1) Environment is drab and depressing - we may not own the building, but we're customers of the leasing/management company - we should force their hand in updating our environment and cleaning up our space.
    2) Reallocate resources so that existing client projects are given priority over new products.
    3) Forget about internal initiatives like quote sheet redesign and SharePoint in favor of client projects and QUALITY of those client projects.
    4) Let's hire more developers than we think we need so that we can knock out languishing client projects and make headway on internal projects.
    5) Let's really look at who we are, what opportunities we have, and try to develop logical career paths so that our trained and knowledgeable team doesn't leave for lack of opportunity for advancement.

8. "Good"

I have been working at Marketing Innovators full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good company to work for

Cons

Bad benefits at this job

Advice to Management

More training for sale jobs

9. "MI Understands How to Treat Employees Like Human Beings"

I have been working at Marketing Innovators full-time

Pros

Flexibility, understanding and accommodating managers, a workload that's varied and (along with the culture) pushes employees to learn and better themselves, opportunities for growth, stability. There is a very strong sense of camaraderie and collaboration, both within departments and across the company as a whole.

Cons

Somewhat high turnover rate can make it difficult to achieve optimal team cohesion. No fault of the company, but building could be slightly better maintained.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to employee concerns, scheduling team-building events, doing employee surveys, etc. It's all to rare to find a company like MI where team member contributions and value are properly acknowledged and appreciated, and it would be unfortunate to ever lose that. Keep investing in development and get additional developers/QA/testers onboard since the direction of the company is going to see it as necessary.

10. "High School IT / Old School Exec's"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer

Pros

Friendly / Fun Environment. Easy access from the blue line

Cons

Weak Roadmap to Agile. Legacy code being hammered on by support with new Agile development in process - requiring 2-3 more senior devs that aren't there.. No testers.. 1 QA.

Advice to Management

Invest some time learning about Agile.. If you have to keep that separated from your clients if they don't care about / understand it. It doesn't matter how simple the work is the "Agile story" is the same everywhere.. It incurs a lot of overhead and requires more resources.. not having any testers in place may leave you scrambling when things get going.. and having one senior "architect" micro managing people won't be scale-able either.

11. "Good people to work with."

Pros

People are genuine, open and easy to work with.

Cons

Could use some more rigorous processes. Resources tight and tight deadlines.