Marketing Werks Reviews | Glassdoor

Marketing Werks Reviews

Updated June 22, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Learned a lot, great building, beautiful office (in 6 reviews)

• Comfortable, relaxed work environment (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • treated like a slave; no work life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Low pay compared to industry, particularly in lower positions (in 6 reviews)

1. "I've had great experiences working at this company overall."

Current Employee - Tour Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Tour Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

They offer opportunities for leadership within the field. It has allowed me to grow tremendously and become superior at multi-tasking and problem solving.

Cons

It is tough to climb the ladder. Everything is about timing and you have to proactively seek work with the company or they will not call you. I'm told they pay less than other competitors, however I do not know this for certain.

Advice to Management

Keep your great field managers close. Other than that keep up the great work!

"Beneficial experience for a beginner, but not the best timing to start a career."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marketing Werks (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great location, office amenities and technology
    - Potential for large responsibilities
    - Young and "social" atmosphere
    - Comfortable, relaxed work environment
    - "Work From Home" benefit
    - Fantastic company to learn the basics of agency life

Cons

- The Crossmark-Marketing Werks merge has caused a lot of setbacks; it's evident that there are a lot of individuals at Crossmark in charge of the transition that are taking over without considering how it affects Marketing Werks itself. LOTS of changes still to come in this transition.
    - Major budget cuts have eliminated a large amount of positions
    - Unorganized
    - Not much motivation
    - No sense of urgency
    - Complete lack of communication
    - High turnover

Advice to Management

At the very least, it is essential that communication be improved between all levels of leadership.

3. "Good for temporary quick cash but you are just a machine to them."

Former Employee - Promotions Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Promotions Assistant in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Decent pay but that's about it.

Cons

They assign you a temporary on site manager that is very rude and acts like he is better than you. The onsite manager I hd did nothing but eat candy and play with his phone while periodically tells you to do labor the faster.

"Repetition Ruined a Company With Great Potential"

Former Employee - Client Service in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Client Service in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marketing Werks (More than a year)

Pros

Great location in the city
    Independence working on your own tour

Cons

Marketing Werks started as a creative national touring company in 1987 when the idea of experiential marketing and giant trucks driving to cities was fresh and new. However, Marketing Werks never moved past that and continued for the next 25 years to produce the same type of tour over and over again.
    The stale creative that gets pitched over and over again has driven new clients away and killed current contracts. If this was 2013, I would talk to you about the great company culture and how a talented team still makes a driving tour work. However, the purchase by Crossmark has gutted most of management and everyone with experience is quickly leaving.

This is not a company you want to get invested in long term. If you are fresh out of college and need something marketing related on your resume then I don't blame you for considering a job application here. However, they also canceled their internship program so I don't foresee many opportunities for fresh faces to get into the company as well.

Advice to Management

You're losing clients and talented employees because you are trying to apply 1990s tactics to 2015 situations. Innovate or die is not just a fun thing that is said in magazines and this change needs to start with the growth/new business team first. Until you get out the past , you are going to keep hemorrhaging.

"If you are there, get out now. If you are thinking of going there, dont."

Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

Creative Freedom.
    Located in downtown Chicago.

Cons

Low pay compared to industry standards
    No senior leadership whatsoever
    Extremely high turn over rate from employees
    Sinking ship

Advice to Management

Unless you are in the right group of book club friends, or you for-go any type of personal life (no relationships at all) you'll never succeed here. The place use to be a great agency, with a wide variety of clients. Its going down hill fast as Jay Lenstrom has completely crapped all over himself as a leader. Crossmark changed everything upon their purchase of the company and its just a sad state of affairs there. Continually laying off long standing employees since no new business is coming in (down more than 15% in 2014 alone). Clients are taking notice and leaving as well as the best employees are all leaving on their own due to horrible management or are just being let go because no one knows how the hell to do anything there anymore.

6. "Terrible company!!!!!!! I'm quitting never again will I work in marketing!"

Current Employee - Brand Ambassador
    Current Employee - Brand Ambassador

Pros

No pros at all! Terrible experience working with this company!

Cons

I was brought into this company from a co-worker at another job I have. I have not been paid yet for work I did 4 months ago! My point of contact Alice is SO unprofessional and rude!!!! I can't stand this company I'll never work for a marketing agency again now! I'm learning to be a wedding planner never looking back on this awful company

Advice to Management

Train your employees better and stop holding onto the BA's pay!!!!!

"Invaluable experience, but low salary and morale"

Client portfolio
    Travel
    Casual work environment
    Flexibility with working from home

Cons

Salaries low relative to industry standards
    New ownership has led to change in corporate direction
    Corporate culture and morale has declined over the years
    Hires many young inexperienced employees which it can pay low salaries to - Once employees spend a 1-3 years with the company gaining experience, they often take their skills and talent to an agency offering more competitive salaries
    Innovation relative to larger competitors has remained a bit stagnant
    Disconnect between departments leads to under-utilized resources and a lack of cohesiveness between high level management and lower level employees

Advice to Management

Retain employees who have built valuable client relationships over the years by focusing efforts on increasing salaries across the board instead of constantly hiring new employees. Over the long term, this strategy will be cost effective by retaining the client base who have been disappointed in constant turnover in recent years.

8. "Los Angeles - Marketing Werks"

Pros

Very fun and relax working environment

Cons

minimal motivation from higher ups, no goals, etc.

"Mediocre At Best"

I worked at Marketing Werks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Young, fun environment and a nice office location. Potential to work with great people, but definitely depends on your team. Great opportunity to work with big name clients.

Cons

Oddly cliquey and not professional in many ways. Hard work is sometimes noticed, but a lot of the times overlooked. Compensation is terrible. Very behind on anything digital and disorganized.

10. "Review"

Pros

I created my own schedule.

Cons

Not much communication with employees.