Marketo Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Steve Lucas

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance has become a priority (in 9 reviews)

• Great people who are always ready to help each other (in 13 reviews)

"Marketing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Marketo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Really smart people that are ambitious, dedicated and constantly working on at least ten major projects at a time. We have some really cool perks and always have opportunities for growth and moving up the ladder.

Cons

Transparency has gone down in the last year along with resources. Everyone has their hands full and therefore less time to be innovative. There are constant changes in the organization and as people leave the company, there aren't new hires coming in fast enough (if at all) to replace the much needed headcount.

Advice to Management

REAL transparency. More support for teams.

"Director"

Current Employee - Director in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Marketo full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Strong brand in b2b marketing.
    Premier SaaS company

Cons

Leadership is unproven and not from domain
    No RSU or incentives to stay

Advice to Management

Make the core of Marketo 10X better.
    Avoid distractions

"Full of promise but lots of hurdles to overcome"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Marketo full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart, dynamic teams
    Excellent executive team
    Supportive and encouraging environment

Cons

Severe lack of cross-team communications
    No formal processes in place (no one really knows what's happening)
    Product stability and pipeline are questionable
    Customer service is dismal

Advice to Management

In order for Marketo to compete with competitors like Salesforce and Oracle, we need everyone to embrace the new bold vision of our executive team. It's time the entire organization let go of the past, embrace the present and the future. Furthermore, Marketo needs engineers to build and enhance our products. It is our responsibility to address our shortcomings when it comes to customer service.

"Ex Marketo"

I worked at Marketo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people. Great CEO. Flexible timings. Good Pay.

Cons

Culture turning rotten. Do not care about employees. With the new acquisition, all they care about is cost cutting. Replacing experience with junior folks just to save money with little regard for talent. Support functions are almost all gone or going. Uncertainty and fear is killing the culture of Marketo. Zero understanding of the Bay area market.

Advice to Management

You have an awesome CEO. You have some awesome people left at MKTO. Take care of them.

"Beware - Partner Org"

Former Employee - Partner Success in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Partner Success in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Marketo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

New CEO - Steve Lucas has brought in a good team with a collaborative, open, we win together, attitude. Great product and strong partner ecosystem

Cons

Partner/Business Development organization is unprofessional, siloed, share information on 'need to know' basis only, and have chased out 4 people in the last 6 months with a few more teed up. Very cliquey ... toxic

Advice to Management

Take a look at the behavior in the BusDev team. It is counter to everything you say you want for the company.

"Great place to work"

Former Employee - Associate Technical Support Engineer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Associate Technical Support Engineer in Portland, OR

I worked at Marketo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great environment, relaxed, lots of perks and benefits. Lots of opportunities for growth. Located in downtown Portland with quick and easy access to transit.

Cons

Having recently been purchased by a venture capital company, Marketo is experiencing serious growing pains. Workload was very high with service levels hard to reach at times.

Advice to Management

Listen to the stresses and frustrations of your staff. The work load and lack of immediate assistance, self motivated or via subject matter experts, was hard to work with, especially since information to assist customers was spread out over multiple systems that was not easy to search for.

"Re-Energized and Focus with New Execs and GTM"

Current Employee - Sales in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Marketo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The new exec team in place has bought Marketo a new energy and passion that was not here before. The messaging and focus around the Engagement Economy and Platform is something we can get behind and drive right past our competition. Marketo (Vista) is banking on this to help drive Marketo to new heights. Hiring is aggressive right now in all facets of the organization but mostly in sales, sales support and engineering.

Cons

Nothing is perfect of course but nothing worth noting here that would outweigh the positives of working at a world class orgnanization

Advice to Management

keep doing what you are doing and invest in technology. Great signs of things to come

"It's a trap! Don't join OPS TEAM! Don't take SysAdmin position!"

Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Marketo full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pay is great. Make sure you ask for the maximum of your position's pay scale. If you decide to pursue this position, you will need this to compensate the short comings of Marketo's OPS Team.

If you like a repetitive boring work that doesn't give satisfaction or skill growth, then this place will deliver.

I'm glad most of my peers have left and move on away from Marketo.

Cons

- Terrible Management (they don't know what they are doing)
    - If you enjoy your family, do not take this position. On-call week ranges from 60-80 hr work week and 90% are non-actionable alerts that will page you to death every 15 mins
    - This place do not know how to scale or even have an idea of what that means
    - If you have never worked at a fast food restaurant, this is the closest simulation
    - OPS Team turnovers is real. You will experience so much stress that will cause you to be more ill than usual. Good news is that sick days are unlimited.

Advice to Management

I suggest HR evaluate all managers (including VPs) and review why their employees are not happy. When great employees trying to make positive changes are not getting support from management, that's a red flag on management. That's when you know it's time to leave.

There are 2 ways to let management know they are doing bad:

1. Employee feedback (I doubt they read it)
    2. Employee turnover (this is a fact that needs attention)

Please do a technical investigation on the infrastructure. The design is not scalable and it's very susceptible to outages.

Believe me, one of our troubleshooting resolution is "prayer" during this one outage that no one can explain the issue. Lol!

"Bright future ahead?"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Marketo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Best in class product
    - New and improved sales leadership
    - Greater focus on product innovation
    - New CEO
    - Absolute best comp plans I have ever seen- sales people can become rich in a short period of time if they over perform
    - Work life balance has become a priority

Cons

So much change in the last 6 months. Turn over at nearly every executive position/ sales leadership. Much of that seems to be for the better- but still too soon to say.

Advice to Management

Time for management to put their money where their mouths are. There are high expectations walking into 2017 and everyone is excited to see if we can execute.

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Marketo full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solid product that can make a huge difference on your marketing efforts. The marketing team supporting the sales team was great. The support team always made the extra effort to ensure the customers were given all the resources available to make them successful. Compensation & incentives were very competitive.

Cons

Time and time again sales leadership made decisions that clearly showed that employees were indispensable and replaceable. A rule by intimidation philosophy that not only demotivates, but costs company money and time when hiring and training new people.

Advice to Management

Emotionally invest in your employees. Invest in the core infrastructure of the product. Listen to your customers and listen to your employees.