Markit Reviews in Colorado | Glassdoor

Markit CEO Lance Uggla
Lance Uggla

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Heavy workload blurs the work life balance (in 13 reviews)

• Don't see any asians in senior management (in 21 reviews)

1. "Associate Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Associate Software Developer in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Associate Software Developer in Boulder, CO

I worked at Markit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Markit had very nice employee benefits, and they also paid very well.
    Furthermore, Markit has a great workplace environment. My co-workers were very friendly.

Cons

Markit is a financial services company. It's not a particularly fun or exciting industry, and the work I did was sometimes mundane and tedious.

Advice to Management

I really don't have any advice to management. Markit seems to be a very well-managed, growing company. It was a very nice place to work with a friendly corporate culture.

"Low salary, micromanaged organization"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I worked at Markit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free candies, Food trucks, that's it

Cons

Started working here as my first job. It was a good 6 months until the things started taking turns. The team was quite new and lacked a lot of future direction and to make matters worse the manager resigned within a year! The team was left with no manager for more than 2 quarters lacking direction, not sure about the goals, no stability and managed by multiple people. And given the merger with IHS nobody knew what would be the next step be with a lot of high profile layoffs from the company. Given all these and with a no one knows why data center migration thing , they even cut bonuses for almost everyone (causing further disappointing layoffs).

Also, the team I worked in started as one but soon combined with multiple soon changing my work goals and ending up working on things which I never liked and also not hired for in the first place! They also are fond of keeping track of times (when you come and go), keep track of what are you doing on your monitor (like seriously, this even came up in my review!!!! Whereas the only thing I had youtube on was to change songs in between!!!! ) , no team activities, no stocks for employees, no relocation bonuses etc.... the list goes on and thus lost my interest in working here a long time back!

So if you are interested in working with a low salary, micromanaged group of people lacking real vision, this is the company for you.

Advice to Management

Look after some departments where people are micromanaged and raise salaries of employees!

"Design department hires mostly young employees"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Markit full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only pro of working at Markit is the use of their brand for future job applications. Markit is a marketing machine so most companies think you are a genius if you've worked at Markit.

Cons

They prefer to hire younger people as they are more likely to get them overworked. If you are 30 or above, you'll feel out of place there. Forget it if you have children as they don't provide flexibility for doctor's appointments.

Advice to Management

Management should be willing to listen and learn from their mistakes. Markit's culture needs to change from the top, and middle managers with attitudes should be replaced with professional ones.

"Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boulder, CO
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Boulder, CO

I worked at Markit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. Free snacks and beverages
    2. Excellent Medical/vision/dental insurance plans.
    3. Located in excellent location.

Cons

1. Not many folks will be lucky enough to work under a cool boss ! Sadly I was in the unlucky pool. No matter how hard I worked I was always looked down. I was once told that the only reason why I was working overtime because I didn't have the right skill set and/or knowledge. Who the hell in this world can speak like that !!
    2. Too many internal tools ! Once you let go off the company there isn't much to keep in your resume.
    3. Climbing up the ladder is a rare thing to see. Very little growth.
    4. Salaries are not competitive.

Advice to Management

I know you are running a business and not a charity trust but if an engineer is given importance first then the quality of work will equivalently be high. Try to teach mutual respect and empathy to one another, especially to upper management.

"Poor support for web devs."

Former Employee - Web Developer in Boulder, CO

Pros

Produce cutting edge applications. very open door - flat hierarchy

Cons

Friction with transition to agile methodologies.
    Internal systems are highly proprietary.

Advice to Management

Many valuable developers were allocated to management duties and not available to work on development. Hire professional managers, and let developers develop.

"Great place!"

Current Employee - Senior Web Developer in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Web Developer in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Markit full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is a great place to work, as a self motivated developer who really wants to push their skills. There is a lot of opportunity to work with some of the brightest developers and engineers in the area.

Cons

The company is enduring a lot of change, as they strive to improve how we work and deliver for our customers. If you're the type who looks for opportunities in a time a change, you'll do well. If change is scary, it may be a little scary.

Advice to Management

Bringing in too much business, too quickly, creates challenges that are difficult for teams meet. Slow down, support the teams who are trying to deliver their best work.

7. "great firm with growing opportunity"

Current Employee - Quantitative Analyst in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Quantitative Analyst in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Markit full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

good growing opportunity, good culture

Cons

compensation is fair; cheap on travel expense

"Going downhill slowly in Boulder"

I worked at Markit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Boulder location got lots of food trucks; mostly reasonable schedule unless a project was on fire; cool side clubs (homebrewers, games, womens forum, etc); the super smart people totally prop up the capabilities; overall everyone is extremely nice and motivated; easy access to Boulder Creek Trail; health benefits etc are very good; reasonable allotment of PTO; working remote was never a hassle.

Cons

Absolutely HORRID salaries: the Engineering teams are underpaid by 30-50% for this area; corporate oversight tightening like a noose around everything; glut in middle management – just because someone has tech skills and earns a Senior title, that does NOT make them an effective manager; huge amount of systems that are rarely enforced; projects are sometimes a gigantic mess that takes days to even understand, let alone work on; some of the "perks" such as subsidized gym memberships seem to be put out there very ad-hoc and are poorly administered; company "transparency" in townhall meetings is often backpedaled after the fact; job descriptions are VERY rigid, if you don't conform to the definitions, you will never move up the ranks or see much beyond a paltry 3% jump in compensation.

Advice to Management

Quit promoting people to middle-manager roles who have no direct management experience. Stop making promises you can't keep. If the Boulder office is to survive, investments need to be made in technology (many environments stopped working and it was a big to-do to get just a few more production boxes which is a drop in the bucket for such a large company).

"Markit is a place where you can make your own experience good or bad."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Markit full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

_ Strong culture, there is an effort to have events and bring people together socially
    _ Benefits are very thorough and bring a lot of value
    _ Opportunity to work on personal projects you feel bring value to the company

Cons

_ You can get lost in the sea of people, where you must be proactive to find a place and tasks where you can be productive
    _ The long and steep learning curve combined with the pace of deadlines will make or break you
    _ Increasingly corporate environment

"A very pleasant place to work."

Current Employee - Web Developer in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Web Developer in Boulder, CO

I have been working at Markit full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Free food
    - Free soda
    - Very friendly coworkers
    - Hard work is acknowledged and rewarded

Cons

- Occasionally, you may need to work overtime to meet a project deadline
    - Salaries are slightly lower than average