Marklund Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Marklund President/CEO Gilbert Fonger
Gilbert Fonger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Better than other facilities"

Current Employee - CNA in Geneva, IL

I have been working at Marklund (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working as a CNA is great at Marklund. The staff to client ratio is amazing- especially compared to other facilities. The atmosphere is like a community and everyone is always willing to pitch in, even administration. Everyone truly cares about the clients and you can feel the joy when you are on campus. It's refreshing to see that everyone has an open door policy and there to support you. They offer on the job training to become a DSP which is great and something new. They also have really good benefits as well as tuition reimbursement for full time employees.

Cons

They aren't any I can't think of.

2. "Great place to work!"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Geneva, IL
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Geneva, IL

I worked at Marklund full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I worked for both the CEO & CFO. I can say they truly care about their employees & the clients and always make sure that clients care is a priority! The CEO changed Marklund for the better since he began. I loved working for Marklund and miss not only my job but the wonderful people I worked with.

Cons

Nothing I only left because I moved an hour away.

3. "Volunteer"

Former Employee - Volunteer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Volunteer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marklund (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful organization doing fabulous work with profoundly disabled children and adults.

Cons

I don't have any complaints.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Untrustworthy"

Current Employee - CNA in Geneva, IL

I have been working at Marklund (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing clients are the only reason to enjoy working here

Cons

Extremely untrustworthy higher ups. Cannot report anything without retaliation. Policy changes have made moral worse than any place I have ever worked. People are quiting faster than they can be replaced. So many good people that actually cared for the clients are gone. Clients are suffering for this

Advice to Management

Look at who has left. Everyone has left for the same reason, yet you stick behind the wrong person.

"For profit - Non-profit"

Current Employee - Developmental Trainer/Certified Nursing Assistant in Geneva, IL

I have been working at Marklund part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The clients that we serve are remarkably friendly, giving, and kind. Most of the employees are incredibly friendly and team work is to a peak being that we (CNA's) all go through the changes in the company together.
    *The only reason I work for this company is to maintain a solid relationship with the clients that reside there.

Cons

-Management is awful in recent times. (Changes have been progressively occurring for the worst, relative to the past 5 years.)
    -Administrators do not stick, and they keep getting worse. They have had 3 in the last 5 years... one left within 6 months.
    -The divisions within the departments are WELL KNOWN and extremely cliquey.
    -Cross-functional training is out of the question, which could be why the Administration Department has no idea who they even work for (clients) or their name for that matter.
    -The company is non-profit, but is treated FOR profit in regards to their cost saving measures, which ultimately only effect the people who do the major grunt and personal work of the organization.
    -If upper management does not favor you, or conflict arises, regardless of your time dedication to the company (.ie 20 years), they will "eliminate" your position and find a way to replace you.
    -Raises are not guaranteed and they began eliminating all perks that would increase employee morale, like: employees of the quarter program, $50 gift cards for the winter holidays, and soon probably the turkey give aways
    -Changed the positions to extremes by raising hours worked, losing perks, and lessening employee wages. (Ultimately the pay had been given back, only after a majority of the employees had already jumped ship).

Advice to Management

Remember who suffers the most in regards to the changes, the clients. (The work becomes more about cost rather than rewards.

"Well..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Charles, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Charles, IL

I worked at Marklund (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Clients are amazing and most of the staff makes going to work a joy

Cons

Recant pay cuts and new admin have made it hard to work at the facility

7. "Amazing job and wonderful staff with amazing hearts"

Current Employee - CNA in Geneva, IL

I have been working at Marklund full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great schedule options great management. And such a fulfilling occupation helping those in need

Cons

Pay could be better or offer better benefits for three day shifts

"You were either going to be there for a couple of years, or for the rest of your life!"

Former Employee - Therapist in Bloomingdale, IL
    Former Employee - Therapist in Bloomingdale, IL

I worked at Marklund full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Caring for some of the most medically fragile clients with multiple disabilities. Knowing you are a positive influence in their lives and that you are making a difference. Many kind and loving staff members who have dedicated their entire lives to helping these children.

Cons

Low rate of pay, without raises for many many years. Lots of lifting and transferring, limited availability of resources for clients and for staff. Emotional toll of working with such a fragile population which sometimes involves the passing of a child, or learning the background history of the individual that may include child-abuse, exposure to drugs or alcohol in utero, etc. high turnover rates make developing a staff team environment challenging at times.

Advice to Management

Look out for your employees. Consider their safety and wellness mentally and physically. Evaluate management team, be certain that supervisory staff are fit for the job and are not abusing their power. Consider hiring staff based on ability and passion for working with the clients, not just warm bodies with the minimum level of training desired.

9. "Best choice I've ever made"

I have been working at Marklund full-time

Pros

The clients are amazing.
    The staff works as a team to provide amazing supports and services that are unlike any other organization in the area. Bonuses are offered to direct care for picking up shifts that are hard to fill. Admin is always positive, hands on, and looking for ways to grow and improve services

Cons

I cannot think of any complaints

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing, keep looking for ways to maximize the greatness that is Marklund

"Terrible Administration"

I have been working at Marklund full-time

Pros

Marklund is a fantastic place for the clients it serves. It's also a great place to work, the pay is acceptable given the work load. The insurance is affordable and they are flexible.

Cons

The only complaint i have is the Administration- they are immature, unprofessional and self centered If you are not on their good side they will eventually find a way to get you fired. they hold grudges and search facebook to find reasons to not like someone. whats even more childish, is if you're friends with someone they don't like, they will not trust you and put you in the same category as them. As for the top management they are very friendly, however, for some reason they listens to whatever the Administration tells them. I guess that's part of being top management, support your Administration no matter what? EVERYTHING is such a big deal to administration they everything out of proportion. no one likes to work with administration. micro management.

Advice to Management

Management- open your eyes and find a new administration. You've done it before.