Marks Paneth Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
Harry Moehringer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Work life balance is as good as it is going to get in a public accounting firm (in 16 reviews)

• Exposure to various industries, positive feedback and constructive criticism, open door policy with partners and managers and relaxed work environment (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • pressure for billable hours but not enough billable work during non busy season (6-9 months) for many managers & even staff (in 10 reviews)

• Some benefits are lack luster - 401K match is pretty much nonexistent/health insurance is expensive (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great place to start your career"

Current Employee - Supervisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Supervisor in New York, NY

I have been working at Marks Paneth full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Marks Paneth is a great place to start your career. It is open door policy here so you can really speak to your managers and partners about your interests and they will put you on work that you find engaging. The firm is growing rapidly which is beneficial to current staff in terms of finding opportunities to work closer to home in outer offices and also to try out new clients/industries. The office has a great family feel - it is very easy to meet people and make connections. Many staff have been at the firm for a long time. Having been with the firm for many years, I have seen great efforts to continue to increase morale and retain employees. Great flexibility in terms of reduced work schedules, coming in early/leaving early, etc.

Cons

Small 401k match, benefits could improve.

2. "Great"

Current Employee - Senior in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior in New York, NY

I have been working at Marks Paneth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This Company is a great place to start your young professional career. The hours here are much better than most public accounting firms which allows for a better work life balance, making it easier for young professionals to start their families sooner rather than later. The Company also provides overtime pay which is particularly unheard of in most other public firms.

Cons

401k match is a bit weak compared to other firms. Overall the benefits they offer can improve.

3. "Typical corporate environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Marks Paneth full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good staring point for young professionals. Flexible hours. All levels of employees work very close, open doors communication process. Hands on experience and classes for starting associates. CPA courses price break.

Cons

Very much $ driven system. People work long hours but can't show it on time/bill records. Billable rates are pretty high. Unreasonable time budgets for work.
    Very low 401k match. Very expensive medical insurance.

Advice to Management

Replacing experienced employees by younger and therefore cheaper associates does not always bring good results. Value clients and people who serve them. Make company at the size it is now work as whole, and then buy more practices.

4. "Ok place to work"

I have been working at Marks Paneth full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Open door policy. Generous days off.

Cons

Health benefits could be much better

5. "Senior"

Current Employee - Audit Senior in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Audit Senior in New York, NY

I have been working at Marks Paneth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The firm is very focused on the development of its employees. Great training. The partners make time to work with their staff.

Cons

Busy season is quite busy, but isn't this expected in public accounting? Benefit plans are improving including the introduction of a paid parental leave plan.

"Great Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Senior
    Current Employee - Senior

I have been working at Marks Paneth full-time

Pros

Friendly environment, open door policy and great interaction with Partners and Managers. Busy season hours are reasonable for the industry. Work life balance . Firm has been making a lot of positive changes recently including Parental leave, no increase to benefits in the past year, improved dental plan, adding an employee advisory committee.

Cons

Need more space in New York. 401K match can be improved.

7. "Great Place!"

I have been working at Marks Paneth full-time

Pros

- Close knit work environment where manager and partners doors are always open
    - Great people
    - Great place to grow and gain meaningful experience
    - Given a lot of responsibility

Cons

- Communication isn't always best
    - Year to year procedures aren't consistent

Advice to Management

Be more consistent

"Senior"

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Purchase, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Purchase, NY

I have been working at Marks Paneth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, can learn multiple sides of accounting (Audit, Tax, Bookkeeping, etc), very friendly managers and partners, and the CPEs that are offered are of very high quality. The managers and partners care very much about us being educated and attaining our CPAs or other type of certifications. We are given a lot of paid time off and summer hours are a very nice addition.

Cons

Health insurance can have a lower deductible.
    401K match could be higher.

Advice to Management

Could have more frequent meetings with staff

9. "Perks at Marks Paneth"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Marks Paneth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employees appreciate all the internal programs the firm offers like womens networking, yoga, mediation, weight watchers, free movie, baseball and broadway show tickets, etc! It definitely helps morale and team building.

Cons

Would like to see some more structured promotion criteria and a formal mentor program but this has been brought to HR and Management's attention so is in the works for the future.

10. "A good balance"

I have been working at Marks Paneth full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've had a really positive experience here in terms of the culture and the firm as a whole. Partners and upper management are approachable, I'm proud of the work I'm doing, there is a nice focus on wellness, and there are many opportunities for socializing with co-workers outside of the office (whether at a sporting event, volunteering or attending on-campus events). It's a place where you can grow and explore areas of interest (you're not stuck doing the same thing year after year, unless it's what you want to do). It's also been a wonderful place to be as a working parent of two .

Cons

It's hard to find downtime during my busiest times of the year.

Advice to Management

Continue making strides in areas that have improved over the past few years. As our firm grows ... our culture, benefits, policies and people should grow with it. I think we're headed in the right direction!