Marks & Spencer Reviews | Glassdoor

Marks & Spencer Reviews

Updated October 4, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Employees getting 20% staff discount (in 196 reviews)

• Good company good pay and many more (in 98 reviews)

Cons
  • The company no longer pay much loved "double time" pay increase for working on a Sunday - unfortunately this has demoralised many members of staff (in 32 reviews)

• Unless you have a good line manager who informs about workshops available on the M&S website which is hard to find on your own (in 68 reviews)

"Not amazing"

Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Cheltenham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Cheltenham, England (UK)

I worked at Marks & Spencer part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

General day to day work is alright, it can drag a little especially when doing 'repro' which is basically putting stock out after the store has closed for the day. The worst part is when you've run out of things to do and the manager just asks you to go round the whole store putting everything in size order.

Cons

Whenever you are in a situation which involves talking to someone higher up, e.g queries about holiday, you realise how badly structured the system is. Everyone just tells you to talk to someone else and it seems like they don't really know what they're doing.

Advice to Management

Make it easier for people to talk to management, especially HR

2. "Sales Assistant"

Former Employee - Team Member in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Team Member in London, England (UK)

I worked at Marks & Spencer (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly team members.
    Good experience in customer service field and retail industry.

Cons

Low wage. obviously cookoo managers. Stritct environment and too much pressure even though the job was done. Very bad experience

Advice to Management

It would be better if employees were being treated like a person rather than a donkey.

3. "Christmas Temp at Aberdeen St Nicholas Deli Counter"

Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

Pros

General induction training quite reasonable. Good uniform, very nice colleagues.

Cons

Basic salary rate. Little training of role, mainly picking it up as you go. Horrendous amount of waste of good food on a daily basis. I was brought up to consider wastefulness a sin really and it was nothing short of heartbreaking to through whole free range chickens, hand made pies, cheeses and freshly made salads into their food waste bin on a daily basis. One evening I threw 13 perfectly good free range chickens in the bin. I am a retired organic poultry farmer and I just felt terrible about doing it but had no choice as it is the M&S policy. They no longer reduce to clear fresh food in their deli's or offer it to staff or charity. I'm think they may use the Health and Safety card as an excuse but I'm would imagine that a company of M&S's calibre could easily print of a disclaimer for such things. Where there is a will there is a way, meantime there are masses of perfectly good food being thrown away on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

Review your food waste policies.

4. "Customer assistant"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

Working in a large team

Cons

Very bad management and unorganised, managers seem to make rules up as they go along. Not a friendly atmosohere amongst commercial managers, takes a lot to even get a smile from them and never greet the customer assistants.
    Managers make sure staff are constantly working, if caught standing still for a second it's game over!

Advice to Management

make the staff feel more valued

5. "Not the best experience I've had! My first ever job and don't have a lot of good things to say about this place."

Former Contractor - Sales Assistant in Brierley Hill, England (UK)
    Former Contractor - Sales Assistant in Brierley Hill, England (UK)

I worked at Marks & Spencer as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Discount was great, some of the staff were friendly, customers made it bearable, I never got a bad customer whilst working there.

Cons

Managers aren't organised, no real communication between management and staff. They favour others over you so there's no point in even thinking about climbing the career ladder. I was taken off the system for a month, so I was coming in and had nothing to do, managers didn't even bother to fix it and when I did find jobs to do managers would tell me off for doing them. Over all no one really cares about you there. My last day I never even got a thank you or goodbye!!!

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff, stop being lazy and treat everyone equally!!!!

6. "summer job"

Pros

friendly/ hardworking staff
    split shifts (morning/ night)

Cons

not enough pay
    overly strict
    harsh atmosphere

Advice to Management

cater to the needs of your staff more

7. "Temporary position"

Current Contractor - Bakery Worker in Wellingborough, England (UK)
    Current Contractor - Bakery Worker in Wellingborough, England (UK)

I have been working at Marks & Spencer as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The 20% staff discount and builed up confidence by selling to customers

Cons

Not getting the training before you start working.Couldht speak up to the other staff or manger because all they did was moan about picky things ,that i didht do instead of putting me on my training course.Not knowing fully what I was doing and being left on my own.

Advice to Management

More attention is required to the temporary staff ,has I feel you get left to surpose to know everything very quickly on your own.One to one meeting with each temporary staff to ask the employee how they are finiding the job etc would help.No uniform or no training was givin and nearly sliced my finger off with equitment i wasnt surpose to operated but was left to it.

8. "/"

Current Employee - Customer Assistant
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant

Pros

20% discount
    Good relationship with colleagues

Cons

Far too much overtime, pretty much don't have an option
    Absolutely no work/life balance especially as a student.

"No training, poor administration, seemingly friendly work environment"

I worked at Marks & Spencer part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- 20% discount took a while to come, but very useful once you have it
    - Coworkers are friendly, good rapport with workers my age
    - Free food in the staff room on most days
    - Decent starting salary for a young person
    - Fairly relaxed environment
    - You receive sick pay within reason

Cons

- Within my first week I was closing up by myself with no help (I work on a bakery)
    - Come to think of it, I was NEVER trained, yet expected to do job to the same standard as experienced colleagues - on a lower wage.
    - There's a lot of gossiping and backstabbing, particularly amongst the older staff
    - My manager was terrible at controlling the rota, leading to there being shifts with just one worker holding fort on a busy weekend day, and then four people working simultaneously on an 'off' day
    - Managers never thanked you or told you if you were doing a good job, leading to decline in morale
    - They declined my requests for paid leave and refused to provide reasoning, despite me asking months in advance for just a few days (when I'd been as flexible as possible with my shifts throughout)
    - Outdated computer systems, unresolved tech issues meant I was never able to log on to them independently
    - Short breaks that aren't paid for
    - Most staff here seem to be dissatisfied with the employer

Advice to Management

TALK to your workers, TRAIN your workers

10. "Customer assistant"

Former Employee - Customer Assistant in Cowley, South East England, England (UK)

Pros

There isn't any in my opinion.

Cons

The pay isn't good, management are not good at all, any private matters you tell them, don't stay private they tell everyone!! Never get good credit for the work you put in when staff is tight which is all the time!! Any issues you bring up with the big team gets pushed out and according to the manager it's not an issue! When it effects all your staff members it is an issue regardless of what the management say, over all I would never ever recommend marks and Spencer's as a good company to work for. I would never of left marks and Spencer's but due to my circumstances at that store I left I wasn't going to work for a company that doesn't care about you as a person or the issues you bring up at work, that store made my life hell for that last 9 months I was there.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff members, employ more staff, and get a manager that actually cares about there staff instead of them selfs (fact)

Showing 164 of 1,371 reviews