Marks & Spencer Reviews | Glassdoor

Marks & Spencer Reviews

Updated March 23, 2017

Pros
  • Excellent staff discount available immediately (in 158 reviews)

• Good pay for customer sales assistant (in 79 reviews)

Cons
  • One thing M&S can't fathom is that NOBODY going through their store wants a bank card with them (in 61 reviews)

• Some other members of staff always complaining and moaning (in 26 reviews)

"Not what it is made out to be"

Pros

- Staff Discount (20% uncapped)
    - Great colleagues to work with
    - Fairly flexible in terms of hours
    - The majority of customers appreciate your work

Cons

- Disjointed management, management would often go behind each others backs, causing issues which cascade down to customer assistants.

- The pay is very poor for the amount of work you are required to do. There is an illusion that Marks & Spencer's is a great place to work, it's not. Expect to be worked very hard, with little reward, and very little recognition. Expect to be very tired if you are full time, 45 hour weeks are physically and emotionally draining and unpaid breaks are a kick in the teeth.

- At my particular M&S, employee favouritism was a serious issue, with employee's often being promoted based on their relationship with management rather than their ability. This has led to a large divide within the store.

- The business has grown far too broad, with very little attention to detail on store activities (for example, promoting the Queen's lunch in a remote and relatively unpatriotic part of the UK, we were reducing/binning thousands).

- The amount of waste going in to the bin is shocking, the food isn't being donated to charity or sold cheaply to staff, it all goes to an anaerobic digester for "plan A" purposes. Be prepared to be shocked (especially at Christmas, we're talking 20-30 full wheelie bins per store per day in that period).

- One of the most frustrating things about working in M&S is the lack of opportunity to improve things. Stores are so dug down in policy that there is no way to actually improve areas (e.g. sweets could be located in a poorly visited area of the shop, to improve sales, sweets could be relocated to where homecare is, however, if this were the case, questions would be asked as to why this is not in the floorplan of the store). This ridiculous hierarchical system extends far beyond simple product location. Stores cannot even control what food/clothes they receive (e.g. we couldn't order pallets of strawberries in when we run low, therefore receiving complaints that there are no strawberries as well as losses in sales).

- There is often a blame attitude within the store, expect complaints from one department against another, and expect to be brought up about anything with your signature against it, whether you were in the wrong or not.

- Finally, recent proposed changes within the business had upset a lot of experienced staff, really damaging morale. I feel that the business is pressuring out the older more experienced staff in return for cheaper and more "cost effective" youths. This is really worrying in my opinion as I always felt that what really held the departments in my store together was the learning environment with experienced colleagues showing new staff members the tricks of the trade.

2. "Not directed very well, some rude management"

Pros

Decent pay, decent hours, customers were friendly

Cons

Had to work overtime and not paid for it
    Rude management

Was trained for 1 day, and thrown into it very quickly with no clue what I was doing. Management were very rude and condescending. Was made to clear up sick on my 2nd day because no one else would and had my job threatened.

3. "Visual Merchandiser"

Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Marks & Spencer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

stable rota, rare weekends shift
    staff discount

Cons

the same salary as a sales assistant role
    no chance for a progression
    no benefits

5. "Robotic."

I worked at Marks & Spencer full-time

Pros

Met some interesting people from all walks of life.
    Opened my eyes up to realise I could do more than just work in a warehouse. Gave me that push to succeed in my degree and actual field

Cons

Work like a robot.
    Not stimulating in any way, shape or form.
    Favouritism from the management.
    Only 2 SHORT breaks in the day.

"Customer assistant"

I worked at Marks & Spencer (More than 3 years)

Pros

Staff discount, free tea and coffee no much more pros to add.

Cons

Working for m&s they do not care about staff at all. Managers have favourites staff who have worked here a long time are exempt from working late shifts. If your face fits you are fine. Managers are useless and need to manage the cut backs have effected staff moral. Company need to get with the times and listen to the staff

Advice to Management

Manage and listen to staff

"Bullied out of visual stylist job"

Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Camberley, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Camberley, England (UK)

I worked at Marks & Spencer full-time (More than a year)

Pros

20% discount. Sometimes got to dress the mannequins how we wanted to without having to follow guidelines. Working with people of all ages.

Cons

Long hours, sometimes start at 5am and finish at 6pm. Would never be able to get paid for over time only given it as time off when you can't even take it off. You also were made to act differently when regional staff came in.

Advice to Management

Listen to staff members when they tell you they aren't happy. Help make changes. Don't always listen to section managers, they like to make themselves look better and would rather batter their team to get to the top.

8. "Sales Assistant"

Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Assistant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Marks & Spencer (Less than a year)

Pros

Good Environment,Good learning experinece,Nice Customers

Cons

Very less pay,No Less oppourtunity after the term of employment

"Marks and Spencer"

Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Fulham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Fulham, England (UK)

I have been working at Marks & Spencer part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is good for young people who have never had a job before and want to gain customer service experience. I started at m&s when I was 18 years old. I have now been here for 3 years. It was my first job. It helped to build up a bit of my confidence and was a good little bit of extra money while I was studying on the side. I was very happy to see the money coming in and so the first year was decent. I got given a staff discount card and was able to give one to my mum as well which she has found very useful while shopping at marks and spencer.

Cons

- when I first started marks and spencer I wasn't given a new uniform. I got given a jacket and trousers that they found in a box in the shop. I was told that they would order me a new uniform and some tops as I wasn't given any but they didn't. I had to keep reminding them and it took a year for them to finally order me uniform. (the managers that is)

- booking holidays off work can be a nightmare as the managers sometimes cannot be trusted. Twice I have booked holiday, it has been accepted and then they've rejected it without even telling me. I made plans outside of work to go abroad during one of them weeks which has been booked and paid for but when i recently checked my holiday I come to find that the week I am going on holiday they have now rejected, even though it got accepted the first time which was the whole point of me booking a holiday abroad during that week. Otherwise I wouldn't have done it. They shouldn't be allowed to do this. It is completely out of order.

- me and my colleagues have struggled some days. Being put under pressure and told to hurry up with certain tasks because of low staffing which isn't fair. Customers become very frustrated when there isn't enough staff to deal with long ques and when there isn't enough staff to assist them. I can understand why and I think there needs to be more staff to reduce frustration and complaints. When there isn't any staff me and my colleagues are just left to get on with it.
    - my colleague kept being put down for hours that she didn't know about and was just expected to turn up for work which isn't OK. I think that managers should always ask staff if they are available and confirm it with them first. A manager even told one of the section-co workers to send my colleague back home at 6am in the morning because they wanted her to work evenings instead. Which is terrible.

- for marks and spencer this is appalling! I thought that they would care about their staff a little bit more than that. Something needs to be done because my colleagues are very unhappy including myself. I am planning to leave soon.

- i would only recommend marks and spencer to people who need work experience and to not stay there for more than a year to two years. It might just be my shop that is like this so i don't want to put people off but its the truth and i'm not the only one to moan about holidays being booked. People i know from other stores have said the same thing.

Advice to Management

Management should NOT BE ALLOWED to book peoples holiday, accept it then reject it without even discussing it with staff. That goes for booking hours for people when they don't know as well. They should also step up when staff need assistance or want to discuss certain problems in the shop.

"Interesting place to work, but demanding culture is an acquired taste"

I have been working at Marks & Spencer full-time

Pros

Fast-paced, stretching, but effort can be rewarding
    Opportunities for progression with the right sponsorship
    Lots of committed staff who have been in the business for a long time to learn from

Cons

Hierarchical, lots of internal politics and game-playing so not always a meritocracy (may depend on team)
    Teams across the business do not always work well together for the greater good
    Not a risk-taking culture: good ideas often not fully committed to, half-hearted or part-funded
    Relies on the brand name to attract and retain talent and demand long hours

Advice to Management

Be more open to taking risks, accepting of different styles of working, and commit to one course of action.

11. "Disgusting places to development"

Former Employee - Barista in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Barista in London, England (UK)

I worked at Marks & Spencer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefit ?? famous discount you can use only for food. Holidays ( like any company's ) not risen to work with.

Cons

if you working for them you have not voice not ear not life. Only pathetic people working there. Absolutly don't work for them. When you have problems of health or family situation never believe you. I say never. I got seriusly problem of health at the time they callend ambulance for have quick check they hided everthing just for policies. Who workend hard and correctly never have to apply for this company better leaving. Must of the time managers are outside for smoke cigarette and chatting. Razzism everywhere. I worked for Stratford, Marble arch, Brent Cross. I m not hate it i say what is true. Don't forget the famous 45 minute. Horribly feeling. Please guys just believe real esperience not short comment of glassdoor allmust is an manager do it only for have nice raking.

Showing 142 of 1,080 reviews