KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Marks & Spencer

Is this your company?

Marks & Spencer

Add a Review

Marks & Spencer Employee Reviews about "m amp s"

Updated Jan 14, 2021

Found 225 of over 5K reviews

3.9
Marks & Spencer Chief Executive Steve Rowe
Steve Rowe
1,607 Ratings
Pros
  • "you can buy food with staff discount(in 441 reviews)

• "Good pay, Friendly team members(in 440 reviews)

• Cons
  • "No cons sometimes theirs long hours but it’s made worth your while(in 147 reviews)

• "m amp s(in 122 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Gender

This rating reflects the overall rating of Marks & Spencer and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "m amp s"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 4.0
      Former Employee

Good atmosphere but too much pressure with little training

Jan 12, 2021 - Sales Assistant in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good base pay in my opinion

Cons

As a temp, I was expected to encourage customers to sign up to the M&S Bank. I had a 10 minute talk with the bank about their products if that. They did not provide with enough training to be able to meet their expectations.

2. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Decent salary but awful management ruins the workplace

Aug 17, 2020 - Customer Assistant in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

20% staff discount Salary is good for retail sector

Cons

- Always short staffed - Frequently underpaid, had to keep track of my extra hours every month and chase up missing hours they never processed - No training provided when you start - Progression is unlikely - Commercial managers come straight out of uni with no practical experience of how things work and poor people skills - Managers aren't consistent with discipline; people who slack are often let off the hook while harder workers who are expected to do everything are given all the responsibility if there are any issues If you want a monotonous role you don't care about where you just do your job and go home then m&s is suitable, but if you care at all about how your workplace is run you'll quickly become frustrated with the lack of common sense and impractical systems implemented here.

3. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

I love this place!

Dec 28, 2020 - Customer Assistant in Canvey Island, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

20% Discount on M&S Branded Food and Clothes, Great Friendly Staff, Brilliant Training, 28 Days Paid Holiday, Free Stuff at the Bakery when you’re working there until closing time, Paid Overtime.

Cons

No paid breaks, but that’s OK!

4. 5.0
      Current Contractor

Great

Dec 20, 2020 - Customer Assistant
      Business Outlook

Pros

I work in the M&S foodhall. Friendly colleagues with a good sense of teamwork. I enjoy a varied working day and interact with nice customers

Cons

No complaints so far! You really hit the ground running so it’s a great place for those who enjoy learning on the job and pick things up quickly

5. 4.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Friendly team & decent pay

Jan 14, 2021 - Customer Assistant in Camberley, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Friendly management team Decent pay Good discount

Cons

Can be pushy about trying to get people to try their products i.e. M&S Banking etc.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

na

Dec 26, 2020 - Store Manager in Bangalore Rural
      Business Outlook

Pros

there is nothing that i want to mention

Cons

Everything. Love the M&S culture

7. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 10 years

Great place to work, lots of opportunity to develop.

Oct 9, 2020 - Human Resources Colleague Experience Manager in Manchester, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great leadership in the areas I have worked. Good employee benefits package, great culture, open & honest. Lots of opportunity to develop.

Cons

Performance Management programme was demotivating, setting objectives each year was painful. HR lacked a strategy throughout 2019. To many internal HR team restructures and new Line Managers over the last 2 years of my employment with M&S.

8. 5.0
      Former Temporary Employee

Fantastic Employer

Aug 21, 2020 - Retail Assistant in Aintree, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

M&S is a long established company that sell quality products. Making sure they provide high quality customer service, M&S continue to thrive in a competitive business environment. Not only does it provide a good salary, M&S also has a 20% Staff Discount which includes all items (the first round of sale reductions) Finally, the team is very friendly and work together to resolve any issues and help each other out , which makes it a positive working environment.

Cons

I thoroughly enjoyed my time at M&S and don’t have complaints about working for the company.

9. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great team and great company

Aug 27, 2020 - Sales Assistant in Lincoln, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

I worked with a wonderful team which obviously makes all jobs better, the staff were very inclusive even when I travelled to other stores for training purposes. I worked in the food hall and bureau de change and throughly enjoyed both although they varied dramatically. My main job was customer service and if you love to talk to people and deliver good service you’ll love working at M&S

Cons

I have no cons, it was ideal for me at the time.

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Friendly colleagues, supportive management, lacklustre leadership

Jul 29, 2020 - Merchandising Administrative Assistant in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Almost all colleagues I have interacted with are friendly, helpful, and collaborative. Line managers are generally very supportive of development, even helping you to shadow colleagues outside of your own job scope. Pay is competitive for the industry and location, although this is admittedly a very low bar, to begin with. WFH and flexible hours are allowed (depending on your line manager), and senior staff encourages you to take time back when you need to stay late/come in early at busy times. 20% staff discount, which stacks with Sparks offers and other POS discounts, including sale items. The head office is in a good location, with a wide variety of options for lunch nearby, including two M&S food halls.

Cons

Messages from the upper leadership team are obscure at best on many occasions. Steve Rowe solicits questions on a regular basis, but answers give very little concrete information and take weeks to be given. Heads of have historically caused massive amounts of work at short notice for teams by signing off seasons and then at the last minute changing their mind, to the point of denying they ever approved it in the first place. Despite the overwhelming success of WFH during the lockdown, leadership has been very reluctant to give any concrete plans for flexible working going forwards even though the very fact we are still not back in the office shows that work can easily be done from home. Upper leadership changes on a frequent basis, preventing anyone from truly "putting their mark" on their area (comparisons to football managers spring to mind). Despite this, the significant sign-on bonuses and salaries are eye-watering to the staff scraping by in central London on well under £30k. Leadership are also reluctant to acknowledge sound suggestions from staff on how to improve stores.

1 person found this review helpful