Marlin Business Services Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Jeffery Hilzinger

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Marlin Business Services Corp."

I worked at Marlin Business Services full-time

Pros

Growing company; good strategic plan; intelligent leadership team

Cons

need to improve work environment for employees

2. "Needed to move on"

Former Employee - Painter in Houma, LA
    Former Employee - Painter in Houma, LA

I worked at Marlin Business Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None. I found no pros about this company

Cons

The cons are a lack of work.

3. "Senior Business Development Manger"

I worked at Marlin Business Services full-time

Pros

Marlin has a good Work/Home life balance.

Cons

From my time, the major issues seemed to reside in the ever changing management team. I personally had 3 different managers in less than 2 years. This instability brought chaos to daily operations and extreme backlogs in work flow. It seemed that they were looking for new management to effectively change culture within the sales force, but senior leadership wasn't devoting the time needed to vet those managers. They, senior management, were essentially throwing these candidates into the deep end of the pool and seeing if they would swim without a safety net of any kind. Unfortunately, they lost several good manager candidates as well as more than half the sales force because of this strategy.
    Departments were constantly fighting each other(More than just credit fighting with sales). Lack of true leadership in each department lead to constant bickering and workflow issues daily. This bickering trickled down to every team member and each followed the example set by their team leaders. This created a very divided company where each division fought to protect there teammates regardless of the actual customers needs. There really isn't any true team spirit here, which is in my opinion the most important cultural aspect needed to making a strong leasing company thrive.

Advice to Management

I would recommend that the senior management look closely at each department head and themselves and start to ask if this person deserves to be where they are. Have they lead by example? Do they have the knowledge to be where they are? Are they respected amongst their peers? Are they respected by there team? Are they where they are just because of their tenure? etc., etc.
    Start devoting the time towards hiring the right management heads and hold more frequent meetings with them as a group to start knocking down the walls that divide the teams. I believe this will be a long painstaking process, but it is needed to move this company away from the cliff it is headed for.

"Every day can be different, if that's what you want."

Current Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Mount Laurel, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Business Development Manager in Mount Laurel, NJ

I have been working at Marlin Business Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people to work with and a reasonable flexible work structure, depending on who you work with. Definitely an interesting job and can keep you on your toes or your heels.

Cons

Brutal industry and customers can be tricky. Thousands of obstacles to building good relationships. Remember the most reliable weapon in your arsenal is yourself

Advice to Management

Moral starts with take home salary so you don't have to worry about money while trying to make it.

5. "interesting"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Laurel, NJ

I have been working at Marlin Business Services full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It can be a fun place to work. Flexible hours and is pretty laid back with very little stress.

Cons

Lack of of communication and there is not much accountability. Things could be running much more efficiently. Doesnt seem to be room for growth.

Advice to Management

Reward those who deserve to be rewarded. Start setting a good example so your subordinates do. it all starts at the top.

6. "I enjoy every day at Marlin"

Current Employee - I T in Mount Laurel, NJ
    Current Employee - I T in Mount Laurel, NJ

I have been working at Marlin Business Services full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management is empowering people to get things done without a lot of overhead. Guidance is given and helpful. Good health benefits.

Cons

There are some that are bitter and have poor social skills, but they get called out by management pretty quickly. Corporation could promote education (No tuition reimbursement available) 401K matching is meager. a Little top heavy in some departments.

Advice to Management

Continue being approachable and open to listening.

7. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Employee in Mount Laurel, NJ
    Current Employee - Employee in Mount Laurel, NJ

I have been working at Marlin Business Services full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

We have new leadership which provides us the hope that things that were not right will get better. Marlin has great employee incentives and care tremendously about employee development.

Cons

There are some things that could be better about the company but nothing that is out of the ordinary. Many businesses struggle with the same things.

Advice to Management

Continue to focus on the development of your leadership

8. "Credit analyst"

I worked at Marlin Business Services full-time

Pros

Nice, professional working environment. Well organized and the pace of work is extremely manageable.

Cons

Lack of leadership shown by management. Not much upward mobility.

Advice to Management

Promote from within, train loyal employees to become leaders

9. "Accounting Professional"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mount Laurel, NJ

I have been working at Marlin Business Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Growing company, new management, exciting environment. Great food, picnics, holiday events, end of month lunches, fitness center and Ping-Pong!

Cons

Company is growing and moving in the right direction.

"Business Development Manager"

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Mount Laurel, NJ
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Mount Laurel, NJ

Pros

Good training and tools, and they are well established and have ridden the ups and downs in the marketplace of commercial finance.

Cons

They told me I had a 2 year ramp-up time but in reality they only gave me 6 months. It takes a lot more than you think to be successful there.

Advice to Management

Keep your word and don't churn through employees.