Marmot Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Marmot"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Marmot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone is like a family there.

Cons

Working on Main Street can get crazy

"To Marmot Leadership: Pay attention to your Team!"

Former Employee - Manager in Rohnert Park, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Rohnert Park, CA

I worked at Marmot full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Dedication and loyalty to the brand by the staff. Dedication and loyalty at the risk of their own health, lives and future opportunities.

Cons

Leadership is more concerned about their own career and future than that of the brand, of the team or in building culture. Actions speak louder than hollow words and corporate parroting.

Advice to Management

Get a mirror and look at yourself. Your actions are hurting the brand, the staff and the culture. Decisions made have ripple affects to the long term health of the brand. This is not all about you.

3. "Company turn around with people focus is having positive effects"

Current Employee - Manager in Rohnert Park, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Rohnert Park, CA

I have been working at Marmot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company is in turn around mode investing in leadership in middle management. Culture is great, lots of collaboration and open positive reinforcement. I don’t see any of the clicks some people talk about here. Everyone seems to support each other and work well together. Calendars are working. Opportunity to make a difference depending on what you put into it. No micro management. On site yoga and gym, opportunities for fun wear testing. Great product discounts, some of the best outdoor gear in the business.

Cons

Running lean in some areas causes lack of appropriate infrastructure where you need it. Could improve pay scale to bring in better managers. Some support departments could use an overhaul of structure with better company wide integration.

Advice to Management

Investing in people is the right thing to do, but releasing jobs with appropriate pay scales in some areas would increase effectiveness. Dig deep into support structure for improvements.

"Supervisor"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Reno, NV
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Reno, NV

I have been working at Marmot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great employee discounts. Some good people work here.

Cons

Poor management. All of them act like a bunch of children. Very unfair to anyone who is not in their click. Never seen a management team treat employees so poorly. Managers are very unaware of what is really going on with employees and constantly gossiping about managers above them.

Advice to Management

Grow up and be professional. Stop acting like a bunch of children and actually practice the open door policy that you say you have. Stop playing favorites and be fair with everyone not just your buddies. Start setting a better example for your employees to follow.

"Marmot"

I have been working at Marmot full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You drive your own success based on understanding the ultimate goals. Empowerment is given and it's what YOU do with it that makes this opportunity great. I'm a seasoned former manager of teams and am thrilled to be a worker bee providing exceptional service.

Cons

More round robins needed where feedback can be freely given and new ideas implemented for increased excellence.

Advice to Management

Offer more group one on ones to really listen to the day to day doings to hear what teams are experiencing and how Corporate can improve/enhance processes. The teams make Marmot great.

"."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Rosa, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Rosa, CA

I have been working at Marmot full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people is what makes the place worth it.

Cons

The company runs entirely too lean and as a result employees are burnt out.

"Sales"

I worked at Marmot full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Product discounts, if you're interested

Cons

Corporate takeover, no employee loyalty

Advice to Management

too late

"love the clothes, hated the store where I worked"

Former Employee - Key Holder Supervisor in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Key Holder Supervisor in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Marmot (Less than a year)

Pros

marmot produces some of the best outdoor clothing on the planet, though arm sizing can be a little too long for some

Cons

I should have not stopped when I saw the sign that said help wanted in their SF store, when stores do that its for a reason. I joined wanting to get away from my back breaking job in grocey and ended up here as a team lead. That title was all but in name. I had responsibilities but the crew always did what they wanted. I simply couldn't motivate them to act properly. One guy in particular would always walk away for multiple "ten minute breaks" come back about half an hour later stinking of drink from having been down Murphy's Bar just around the corner and then run off to do a cash drop of what ever we had in the safe and spend yet another at least half hour away from the shop floor. Sometimes we had only two people for that day and so taking breaks and lunch was problematic to say the least. Overtime was strictly prohibited despite the store requiring much TLC both on the shop floor and down stairs in the stock room basement area. This store also never turned a profit and was in fact a massive drain on company resources. They should have never had it in the first place. This was a waste of my time, and sanity.

Advice to Management

Get a grip. Get rid of this store and concentrate on distributing instead, because quite frankly you suck at having your own storefront.

"Manager"

I have been working at Marmot full-time

Pros

Great industry to work in. Awesome product, good discounts on Marmot product and other outdoor gear.

Cons

New corporate ownership has really changed the who and what that made Marmot great in years past. Time will tell how this plays out.

Advice to Management

Communication, communication, communication. The "need to know" mentality hurts employee moral. Just be totally open and honest, because we're all going to find out anyways.

"The culture needs improvement"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rohnert Park, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rohnert Park, CA

I worked at Marmot (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun events on and off the work site. Samples and other clothing offers. very big into exercise is a huge plus.

Cons

Very clickish, if your not in the Dept. click and just want to be a good worker, you risk being isolated. It is only fair to those whom play the game. It had the potential of being a good kick-back thong and shorts wearing environment, but the click kept it from being what it could, a comfortable environment to thrive in. (There are some very kind souls). Too much turnover in good workers.

Advice to Management

Hire people whom know how to be fair in Managing and reduce the constant turnover. Dispense more information to ALL employees, not just those in some Depts.