KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

The latest conversations about Finance

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Smart people and business model(in 25 reviews)
  • "The company in general has a very upbeat, transparent, and engaging culture.(in 14 reviews)
  • "Leadership is strong and transparent.(in 12 reviews)
  • "Great benefits and we get a nice additional perk to help cover working from home expenses.(in 11 reviews)
  • "Marqeta also has an amazing CEO who is very down(in 9 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Marqeta and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Best company I have worked at in my career

Apr 12, 2022 - Marketing
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Incredible product market fit resulting in hyper revenue & employee growth -Strong culture of talented people who deeply care about our customers, product & team -Exciting customer roster across fintech, banking & tech (Square, JPMC, Instacart, Coinbase etc.) -Constant growth learning environment where you wear many hats and leaderships invests in career development. Everyone has a big impact. -Flexible work policy where employees can work from anywhere that empowers them to do their best work

Cons

-Leadership changes -Payments are complex and it isn't an industry for everyone -Hyper growth results in constant change, growing pains, new leaders, building new structure and doing lots of firsts which is exciting but can be tiring

2. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Good place to work

Mar 10, 2022 - Senior Manager, Operations
    Business Outlook

Pros

Marqeta is a great place to work if you are looking for a fast paced environment where you can be a contributor to the growth of the department . The pace is fast, but the people you work and collaborate with are the best of the best. I've been given numerous opportunities for growth and to partner with different teams. This is truly an environment of collaboration. Leadership from Jason Gardner is genuine and he truly cares about the culture and the people of the company.

Cons

Work/Life balance can be improved. Working in this environment is good, but long hours and working through the weekends needs to improved.

Chief Marketing Officer

Employee wellness is a top priority of ours and we’re always looking for ways to make sure you’re set up to do your best work, and this includes making sure you have a positive work/life balance. We are continuing to look for ways to encourage Marqetans to take time for themselves, including introducing the “Friday before” major holidays as an additional day off. Please make sure you’re sharing with your manager or HRBP if you’re feeling burnt out or need some extra time away. Thank you for sharing about IC level employees. We recognize the importance of our individual contributors and the incredible work they do for us every day. We greatly appreciate them and if any one is not feeling heard, I encourage them to let myself or their HRBP know. We’re here to help!

3. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

If you have a choice, don't join the company

May 24, 2022 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

* Friendly folks who are happy to help with questions you may have

Cons

* Company prides itself with transparency but their actions says otherwise * Significant organizational changes within a couple of months * Toxicity at work (especially on slack)

4. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good place to build exciting fintech/payments products

May 2, 2022 - Product Lead in Oakland, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great opportunities to build innovative payments products that solves very unique and interesting real world use cases

Cons

More senior folks from established organizations coming in at leadership positions changing the overall culture of the company

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Always room for improvement, but this company is amazing!

Jan 13, 2022 - Senior Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

1. Culture The company in general has a very upbeat, transparent, and engaging culture. It commits to its values. Since I started working here, I have witnessed a sincere push to make things better, including our products, internal processes, communications, and working environment. These are things which are never perfect, and I feel that most people at Marqeta, including upper management, consistently strive to adapt and improve all areas of the business. In my experience, most people respond well to respectful, critical feedback. Standard procedure is to approach problems in a blameless and constructive manner. 2. Diversity The workforce is incredibly diverse with regard to socio-economic background, race, ethnicity, and education. In my experience, team members are respectful and inclusive of all individuals regardless of sexual orientation, gender, and other differences. Employees generally seem to make a concious effort to help everyone feel that they belong. 3. Compensation From my perspective, Marqeta seems to have very competitive salaries and meaningful equity. The company demonstrates that it values its workforce by providing substantial pay and benefits. 4. Management Every management team I've ever heard of has people severely criticizing them and their leadership. That is no different here. Managers are people too, and they make mistakes. The important thing to me is that they recognize them, accept them, and constantly strive to improve. I feel most management at Marqeta does this. Not all, but most, which is far more than I can say about other places I've worked. 5. Trust Leadership places a great deal of trust in each employee. This has been a remarkable contrast from my previous employment, where employers appeared relatively distrustful of employees motivations and interests. Not so here. I feel Marqeta respects and trusts its people to do their work and do it well, while implementing procedures and infrastructure to avoid, mitigate, and learn from honest mistakes. 6. Product Marqeta's card products are amazing. We're hitting a market with enormous potential. While improvements can always be made, I feel we're moving in the right direction here.

Cons

1. Tech Debt This is probably true for almost any tech company growing out of its start-up phase, but the tech debt at Marqeta is real and significant. A LOT of effort has been going into paying down this debt, but there is still a lot to do here. Maintaining aging systems and processes is an unpleasant reality for most teams as we simultaneously build out new features and capabilities. An unfortunate side-effect of this is that teams have less room for thoughtful innovation. We are under pressure to build more while keeping the older systems fully functional, which is straining engineering resources. Adding more to the workforce is helping here as well, but it will likely take some time to have a significant effect. 2. Prioritization Challenges Teams at Marqeta have struggled to optimally prioritize work. A recent procedural change to improve the situation is being implemented (V2MOM), and though it has not yet been fully put to the test, I'm cautiously optimistic that it will have positive impacts in the way we prioritize our efforts moving forward. 3. Fires The reality of working with critical production software that never sleeps is that when things fail, sometimes you've got to be the one willing to get up at 3am to fix it. Occasionally you'll be working some crazy hours. My first week on call was quite eventful (unfortunately) and I ended up working several hours over the weekend. Team support works wonders here. My group has been excellent about trading schedules and giving team members a break when its needed. I'm not sure if that behavior is widespread throughout the company, but it absolutely needs to be. That said, as more of our outstanding tech debt is tackled, the breadth and severity of fires is improving. Our team's on-call shifts have, thankfully, seen far fewer incidents over the past several weeks. As the company matures, and our processes, procedures, and codebase improves, I suspect on-call shifts will continue to improve as well.

9 people found this review helpful

Interim Chief People Officer

Thank you so much for this incredibly thoughtful and detailed review. We appreciate all of your and your team’s hard work and extra support for Marqeta. As you know, payments never stop and some departments are needed to step in to ensure an exceptional experience for our customers. We’re so glad to hear that your team has supported each other and been able to balance the workload. Marqetans should take care of themselves first and we encourage any employee that is feeling overworked, overwhelmed, or burnt out to speak up and take time off. We have great benefits to help with burn out and want Marqetans to take full advantage of them. If you notice that your coworkers, or yourself, aren’t given the opportunity to recharge, please reach out to your HRBP or me, and we can help make sure they’re given the time they need.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee

Natural pain points, but definitely worth it!

Jan 12, 2022 - Senior Program Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Company culture and true investment in its people - We are here to build something, together - Critical opinions for business decisions and initiatives matter - Perks and HR benefits are top-notch - Diversity and inclusion is not just a passion but a mindset for the organization, always willing to learn and grow

Cons

- With growth, sometimes can lead to "too many cooks in the kitchen." - A clear ladder for individual contributors versus managers./leads is needed But I know both management and specific teams are working to remedy these cons, so I'm glad they're listening to its employees.

Interim Chief People Officer

Thank you for your review! We continue to take action based on employee feedback and we’re thrilled to hear that you’ve recognized these changes. We have built out paths to promotion for individual contributors and will continue to iterate on this in the future. We’ve also rolled out a refreshed internal mobility program to encourage movement from within, allowing employees to move into the roles they’re most passionate about.

7. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Loved my time at Marqeta

Apr 1, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Awesome colleagues Making a difference Free lunches Nice view of Lake Merrit Remote friendly Cool CEO

Cons

Low Compensation Nepotism Growing pains of a start up

8. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great company culture and people!

Mar 17, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing, smart people to work with and learn from People team works hard to maintain company culture even remotely through fun virtual events and employee benefits

Cons

Undergoing some growing pains as a newly-public, rapidly-growing company

Chief Human Resources Officer

Thank you for your review! We’re happy to hear that you’ve enjoyed your time working at Marqeta.

9. 3.0
    Former Employee

People culture decline

Apr 12, 2022 - Data Analyst in Oakland, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great product market fit. Smart people to work with.

Cons

Too much turnover in talents and upper management

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Truly a positive company culture experience

Oct 7, 2021 - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

1. THE PEOPLE AND ATTITUDES: This is my first time at a start up, but in comparison to typical corporate cultures, it's very refreshing to be part of such a motivating and supportive culture. I feel like I can speak freely and all input (regardless of level) is valued. 2. LEADERSHIP AND VISION: the company has some kinks (what company doesn't?), but leadership holds themself accountable and focus is on how to improve the business (not on blaming people). The company goals are challenging but realistic and I'm excited to see where Marqeta grow/progress.

Cons

In the past, writing up the cons is the easy part but I'm struggling this time, which is a good thing. The main challenge I see is being short on resources, which is creates a significant backlog. However, that's a standard problem across industries right now and we continue to hire new Marqetans!

Interim Chief People Officer

It’s great to hear about your positive experience at Marqeta. We’re continuing to scale as a company and are focusing on making sure we have the resources we need for everyone to be able to do the best work of their careers. Thank you for your thoughtful feedback.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 144 Reviews

Marqeta Reviews FAQs

Marqeta has an overall rating of 4.3 out of 5, based on over 155 reviews left anonymously by employees. 85% of employees would recommend working at Marqeta to a friend and 84% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -4% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Marqeta employees rate their compensation and benefits as 4.2 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Marqeta. This rating has decreased by -3% over the last 12 months.

85% of Marqeta employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Marqeta 4.1 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.3 for culture and values and 4.3 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Marqeta to be career development, senior leadership, benefits and the cons to be management .

Popular Careers with Marqeta Job Seekers