Marqeta Reviews

Updated May 6, 2021

4.4
Marqeta CEO Jason Gardner
Jason Gardner
Pros
  • "Great people, first rate product, amazing culture, free catered food, great benefits(in 6 reviews)

• "Easy to get to and from the Oakland office(in 6 reviews)

• Cons
  • "The usual late stage private company growing pains as the company transitions from startup to mature company(in 11 reviews)

• "Executive Team listening to the wrong voice(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Featured Review

Good Company with Great Product,high Growth and well planned Roadmap

Feb 16, 2021 - Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- High base salary and they let you work remotely from anywhere - Good work life/balance with quite a bit of holidays every year. - Good tech talks which are not limited to just software but also on fintech industry or crypto. - Co-workers are helpful and friendly even outside team. - Transparent management which communicates often and holds Q&A meetings. - Lot of growth opportunities if you are in sales

Cons

- The software development was setup for rapid iteration but has not scaled well. It takes a while to see features deployed. The management is aware of it and at a team level effort is being made to rectify this. - There is heavy ops which affects sprint tasks.

1 person found this review helpful

Chief People Officer

Thank you for your detailed review. We’re happy to hear you’ve enjoyed your time at Marqeta and that you recognize the positive culture we’ve prioritized cultivating for our people. We have a pulse on where we need to focus our attention to continue to improve operational efficiency and have implemented plans, including our Operating Plan, to move it forward as we scale. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me if you have any additional feedback.

2. 5.0

Highly recommend Marqeta!

May 6, 2021 - Employee Experience in Oakland, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

-exceptional teammates across different functions -very strong and positive culture -the office is in a great location -high transparency from the executive team

Cons

-normal growing pains at the stage in which the company is at and where it's headed -niche industry, takes a huge effort to get people familiar with the world of digital payments

3. 5.0

Supportive culture, excellent benefits

Apr 14, 2021 - Technical Writer in Baltimore, MD
      Business Outlook

Pros

When I joined Marqeta fulltime in January, I of course had no idea that I would be hospitalized for COVID for two weeks in March. I've been on short term disability for weeks now, and PeopleOps has been nothing but supportive. Also, prior to this disability leave, the health insurance failed to authorize my husband's primary medication and PeopleOps helped resolve that too. The performance of the PeopleOps team is representative of the culture at large which emphasizes competency, emotional intelligence, and healthy culture. Marqeta is working hard on diversity and inclusion through dozens of identity groups such as Black Card and Women in Technology. Leadership attempts during all hands meetings to acknowledge that we are all doing our best working from home during COVID and it is okay to not do that perfectly. It makes you want to show up and do your best. I think the benefits which include pet insurance for one animal are fantastic, so if you are a candidate, be sure to ask for details including whether your position is bonus eligible.

Cons

It's not really a con but rather an adustment. Marqeta is focused more on goals than dates and the new hire impacts their job description as the position begins. Think about it - wouldn't that be great, to help shape a role to your unique talents? It can feel a bit squishy at first.

Chief People Officer

Thank you so much for your review. We’re so happy to hear that you felt taken care of by our PeopleOps team and that their care and support are a reflection of our company culture. Your health and well-being are our number one priority so I hope you continue to take care of yourself first. Your continued feedback is important to us and please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have additional comments to share in the future.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good company in growth phase, uniquely positioned to disrupt market

Mar 31, 2021 - Software Engineer in Oakland, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

* Marqeta is uniquely positioned to disrupt the issuers processor market, especially with it entering the Credit space * Modern tech stack (Microservices, AWS, gRPC, Spring Boot, Open API), good engineering teams, excellent collaboration within the remotely located teams, organically remote friendly (before COVID stuck) * Great deal of transparency from leadership, open discussions around business and technical problems being faced and the approaches towards them * Diversity and Inclusion is at its core. Quite natural, working with people from diverse backgrounds, I just loved it on first impression. * Pay in lines with what one would expect from cash component at FAANGMULA (equity is paper money for now) * Company is currently in growth phase - so whole lot of scalability and resiliency challenges. Exciting times, exciting problems. * Great from work life balance perspective, no undue pressure

Cons

* Perks are good at-best, could be better.

Chief People Officer

Thank you for your detailed review. We strive to be a transparent, diverse, and inclusive company and are happy to hear this has been your experience with us. Please feel free to reach out to our People Ops team with additional details about any perks or benefits that you’d like to see from us. We’re always interested in hearing what’s important to our employees.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

A real fintech rocketship!

Apr 26, 2021 - Group Product Manager in Oakland, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Career growth - Company's Potential - Global Presence

Cons

- Very faced paced environment leading to rapid changes

Chief People Officer

We’re excited about our year ahead and look forward to you continuing to grow your career with us. Thank you for taking the time to leave a review!

6. 5.0

great place to work

Apr 5, 2021 - Manager, IT Client Services in Oakland, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Marqeta has done a great job sustaining and growing the business despite the pandemic. The company has pivoted to a temporarily fully remote workforce and places an emphasis on making everyone feel welcome and empowered to do their best work.

Cons

The pace of growth is fast. At times, this exposes the need to mature some business processes so the company can successfully scale.

Chief People Officer

It’s our goal for every employee to feel that they are doing the best work of their lives at Marqeta. I’m excited to hear that this has been your experience with us. As we continue to grow, we’re being sure to double down on business processes to help us scale more effectively. If you ever have any ideas to share, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me or your manager directly. Thank you!

7. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Fast paced, innovative, and promising

Feb 25, 2021 - Program Management
      Business Outlook

Pros

Jason Gardner (CEO) preaches that he wants Marqeta to be where we do the best work of our lives. My initial reaction was that statement was "CEO speak"/lip service, but looking back at my tenure at Marqeta, I realized that I had bought in. It's not difficult when the company is in hyper growth and you're surrounded by enthusiastic people.

Cons

Growing at such a rapid pace has some cons. Pay ranges vary drastically, assuming this is tied to hyper growth. Goal setting and career development can be confusing and unclear at times.

Chief People Officer

We’re passionate about making sure you are doing the best work of your life while at Marqeta, and I’m happy to hear this has been the case for you. Our recent Head of L&D hire will help us continue to clearly define career development and goals across the organization. Please feel free to reach out to him for additional support or to me if you have any other feedback. Thank you for sharing!

8. 5.0

Great place to work

Apr 6, 2021 - Production Support Engineer
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great work culture, motivated people, new technology, Transparency from management

Cons

Not able to think much...

Chief People Officer

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review! We’re so happy to hear you’ve had a positive experience working at Marqeta.

9. 2.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

If it seems to be good to be true....

Apr 18, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very smart people who are fun to work with.

Cons

Leadership are not as "woke" as they seem

Chief People Officer

Thank you for your feedback. While we’re happy to hear that you enjoyed your coworkers while you worked with us, we’re disappointed to learn about your view of our culture and leadership. We take pride in having a culture where everyone belongs and is able to do the best work of their lives, and haven’t heard details about having a bro culture. It’s very important to our leadership team that we are authentic in our views and actions as a company. We wish you the best of luck and please reach out to me directly if you have additional comments to share.

10. 4.0

Amazon experience !

Apr 20, 2021 - Senior Product Designer in Oakland, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great leadership. Strong sense of community.

Cons

In the middle of maturing to a mid size company.

Chief People Officer

Thank you very much for your review! Your comments are helpful to us as we continue to grow.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 98 Reviews