Marquette General Hospital Reviews | Glassdoor

A. Gary Muller

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "UPHS"

I have been working at Marquette General Hospital full-time

Pros

Good place to work, good benefits

Cons

Not to thrilled with they way they do things

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your employees

2. "One of the most poorly run organizations I have ever witnessed"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marquette, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Marquette, MI

I worked at Marquette General Hospital full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Immediate team members were caring people.

Cons

The talent of the people who work there is immeasurably stifled by upper management/administrators. Each employee is treated as disposable. Administration states over and over that they care about employees, yet consistent actions by them dictate otherwise. Co-workers were all afraid to stand up for themselves for fear of repercussions. Thank goodness the RN's who are unionized are standing up for those there that can't. If administration doesn't even know how to properly care for employees, how can they possibly pretend that they can take care of patients?

Advice to Management

Change your "style" and stop repeating mistakes of those who have been there before you. Show care for your employees and actually attemp to really mean it. Offer those who have lost their careers due to your mismanagement a position. People have families to support. Oh...wait....that's right....all those you let go were dismissed easily by you as "being only 1-2 percent of the workforce". I am sure that makes everyone feel better.

3. "Corrupt, Money-Grubbing, No Conern for Patients"

Former Employee - Administrator in Marquette, MI
    Former Employee - Administrator in Marquette, MI

Pros

I went work for a hospital because of my commitment to healping others. MGH does exactly the oppositie. They are a for-profit (values ### revue over patient care) and I have personally witnesses staff and physician abuse of ht eelderloy, mentally ill, disabled, etc. Should be investigated and shut downl.

Cons

Havne't I said enough already? This is a hellhole that violates every American (or decent) value imaginable. Stay away!

Advice to Management

Find a new job-- as far away as possible. Better yet, find a new profession.Like bounty hunting.

"Worst experience ever!!!"

Former Employee - Former Medical Coder in Marquette, MI
    Former Employee - Former Medical Coder in Marquette, MI

Pros

I loved my coworkers. We worked great as a team. Everyone respected and helped each other out when needed. Hopefully they will not get outsourced like transcription.

Cons

Since DLP took over it is all about money. They don't care about the employees or patients. To my fellow coworkers, be careful. They will find a reason to terminate you.

Advice to Management

You are horrible human beings who get a huge paycheck. Why would you care about the employees? You will fabricate lies in order to terminate a group of employees.

5. "Ok"

I worked at Marquette General Hospital full-time

Pros

OK place to work. Since the change to Duke life Point things appear to have calmed down.

Cons

Adjustment to pay was recently done but there is still a large gap. Turnover in some positions 7sca huge problem and that filters though the rest if the hospital

"Changes after DLP Purchase"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Negaunee, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Negaunee, MI

I worked at Marquette General Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

In an area with few job opportunities (good paying ones, at least), I was very thankful to be employed there, and to be offered benefits and salary that were not really offered elsewhere locally.

Cons

I lost my position at MGH after the DLP purchase. I understand that the main business goal now is to make a profit, and that means running a very lean, efficient organization. However, I know wonderful, knowledgeable, hard-working people who lost their jobs because it was cheaper to replace them with new people at a smaller salary. It seems that DLP didn't care about the experience and other intangibles that left with those people. They just don't seem to understand our small town and our people.

Advice to Management

I wish DLP would have a little looser grip on their vision for MGH to fit into THEIR business model and realize that we already have special, unique, wonderful things and people that were happening here that should not be removed so quickly.

"Change in ownership meant change across the board"

Former Employee - Library Media Specialist in Ishpeming, MI
    Former Employee - Library Media Specialist in Ishpeming, MI

I worked at Marquette General Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Professional atmosphere. The work I performed felt purposeful. Hours were extremely accommodating, along with the fact that I had most holidays off.

Cons

The only downside was the decision not to renew the position I had been working in. I was told that instead of being the AV Assistant (in which I was supposed to assist the "Media Specialist," who had left and therefore all the responsibility of that position fell into my lap) I would become the new Media Specialist, complete with a raise. This never happened. It finally was decided, and shown to me in writing, that they were not keeping the Media Specialist position, which obviously was frustrating, in that I was still doing the work of said position. To say that the position didn't exist despite the fact that I was doing all the work for it was enough for me to leave.

Advice to Management

None, it's a hospital being run by a very efficient team. After I left I heard they eliminated my department (the education department) so it's clear they know what direction they want to go it.

8. "Used to be friendly, caring, community hospital, but now owned by large comparny who doesn't care about employees"

Current Employee - Medical Technologist in Marquette, MI
    Current Employee - Medical Technologist in Marquette, MI

I have been working at Marquette General Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Closeknit staff, small town feel, up-to-date technology, vibrant community.

Cons

Management understaffs departments to make more money. This is creating bad morale and poor service to patients. Employees are being trained in too many areas and quality of work has declined. Employees are no longer happy to work here.

Advice to Management

Use your brain! To provide good service and make this a hospital people actually want to come to, you need to treat your employees with respect and staff each department so we aren't stressed out after each shift. Department management needs to know their staff better and place employees in positions they excel in. When you spread your employees over too many jobs it may offer more flexibility, but not better quality of service. And stop treating employees unfairly! New openings need to be posted and given to most senior and most qualified techs.

"It was a great place to work until Duke Lifepoint took over."

I worked at Marquette General Hospital full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

No pros with Duke Lifepoint

Cons

Duke Lifepoint only cares about money and not about their employees or patients.

"Worst job I've ever had"

Former Employee - X-RAY in Marquette, MI
    Former Employee - X-RAY in Marquette, MI

I worked at Marquette General Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It's in the beautiful UP.

Cons

You will never get a raise, never have a superior say thanks, and it's the most unhealthy work environment I've ever come across.

Advice to Management

Administration and CEO's have received raises every year. Guess how long non-unionized workers have been waiting for a raise. 7 years!!!!!!