Marriott International Reviews in Omaha, NE | Glassdoor

Marriott International President & CEO Arne Sorenson
Arne Sorenson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • So their work / life balance always suffers (not a manager but this makes me not want to become one) (in 176 reviews)

• Sometimes long hours but I love working there (in 239 reviews)

1. "I enjoyed working for Marriott."

Former Employee - Reservation Sales Agent in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Reservation Sales Agent in Omaha, NE

I worked at Marriott International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

401K, Health Insurance, Great Hotel Discounts, Understanding Managers, Flexible Hours, Job Stability

Cons

My job required sitting down all day.

2. "OK place"

Current Employee - Breakfast Attendant in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Breakfast Attendant in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Marriott International part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Travel perks are ok, job is not difficult

Cons

No other benefits
    hotel is dirty
    low wages
    stressful environment

Advice to Management

Active management and employee happiness are integral to a complete guest experience.

3. "Customer Service Supervisor"

Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Omaha, NE

I worked at Marriott International part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay, trainers, management, food days, building itself

Cons

Computers, not having your own desk

"Great work from home job, low pay and overworked managers"

Former Employee - Platinum Premier Services Alpha in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Platinum Premier Services Alpha in Omaha, NE

I worked at Marriott International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work from home with all equipment provided. Decent training and plenty of perks like free electronics and hotel discounts.

Cons

Very low pay for the industry, management is disconnected from workers and so overloaded that they cannot answer questions or resolve issues in a timely manner.

Advice to Management

Be more engaging with the employees. Although necessary, reviews should be balanced and offer the employee insight on what they are doing right instead of focusing solely on where they can improve. A high five or kudos for a job well done is equally important.

"Low employee morale"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I worked at Marriott International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Associate of 4.5 years. You're able to promote quickly. Some of the Managers are really great and you can learn quite a bit. Excellent hotel discount! The discount alone made me stay with them for over a year after deciding to start actively looking outside of the company.

Cons

The pay is not competitive. On my group specifically merit counts for naught. Seniority is all that's considered regardless of how poorly/great you preform. They can't retain good talent because they won't address terrible associates which drives away hard working, bright, employees.

Advice to Management

Recognize your most admired and respected Managers and compare to the most disliked; make changes accordingly. You have some incredible talent and leaders there and in the completely opposite end of the spectrum you have Managers who possess every negative stereotype quality of terrible Managers. CLEAN HOUSE!!!

"Do not work at a Marriott call center!"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Marriott International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nearly none. However 3/4's of my workplace is female. So if you're a single guy, and can put up with a large amount of call center nonsense, then be my guest.

Cons

Far too many to mention here. But lets try. They nickle and dime you on pay. If you don't have a degree, most jobs are like that. But this place is nuts. After ten years you might have accumulated a $1.00 raise! Then there is the fact of the huge amount of stress on the job. And whats worse is management wants to make it even more stressful! Its horrible. You no longer get an assigned seat at the Omaha call center. So you have to fight for a place to sit every day. Not easy given you have to log into many programs to do your job correctly. Its easy if you sit in the same spot and have that stuff saved. That does not work if you have to look for a new spot every day. That's crazy! But wait it gets worse. Entire rows of seats are now being reserved for training. So there are now fewer seats for the people that come in to the call center. Insane! Then there are the dictator like rules regarding beverages on the floor. Only in approved containers! Nuts! Oh and lets talk about how the center does nothing any more for employee enjoyment. No more trips to hotels. No more time off the phones to talk to hotels about their properties. In short come in, sit your keister down and work! And count yourself lucky to get breaks. But wait there's even more stress to throw your way. Upselling! I hate it! I hate it with a passion! This job was about helping customers with reservations. And that was it! Not any more. Hey people calling in to Marriott get used to employees constantly trying to get you to sign up for a credit card or to become a time share owner. It straight up sucks! No one wants that garbage! And now we are being told that we will be written up for not hitting sales quotas for that junk. Then there are the housing bureaus. Never heard of them. Well all you need to know is any reservation for a group or event or convention you are a part of now takes twice as long to make. Thank you Passkey, you are just awful. The Marriott Omaha call center is terrible. And that's just the management. Now lets factor in irate and just straight up ignorant callers and what you have is an f5 storm of stress. Do not work at the Omaha Marriott call center! It is a terrible job. And if anyone thinks I am exaggerating, ask a manager at the call center what the turn around rate here is. It is very, very high. The turn around rate involves how long it takes a trainee to quit or get fired from day one of training within one year. It is very high!

Advice to Management

Give the senior employees assigned seats again. Loosen up on some simple rules. Like the beverage rules. Find something, anything, that can be done to lessen the stress of the job. If Marriott bought out Starwood, they can certainly afford the occasional hotel trip or visit to get us off the phones. And most importantly get rid of upselling! No one wants to hear a sales pitch when they are in a hurry! And 9/10's of our customers are!

7. "IPC Specialist"

Former Employee - IPC Specialist in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - IPC Specialist in Omaha, NE

I worked at Marriott International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

My co-workers had a wealth of knowledge and experience. Management was always attentive and available, if needed.

Cons

Marriott is a very large company. Some of the systems we use aren't very intuitive or user friendly.

8. "Great Employer"

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Marriott International part-time (More than a year)

Pros

+very calm, professional environment
    +during the down times when hotels are less busy, work can be very easy, not much is required of front desk agents

Cons

-minimum wage at this position, there seem to be few opportunities for raises, regardless of strong performance and even with reviews that give positive feedback about you

9. "chef"

Former Employee - Banquet, Catering Chef, P M Line Supervisor in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Banquet, Catering Chef, P M Line Supervisor in Omaha, NE

I worked at Marriott International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people, executive chef were great.

Cons

Old equipment, unsanitary working conditions.

Advice to Management

Fix the facilities

10. "Reservation Agent"

Current Employee - Reservation Agent in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Reservation Agent in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Marriott International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule 30 hours is full-time can work from home fully vested from start 401k Vision Dental short term disability life insurance open 24/7 split shifts promotes from within

Cons

Multiple policies that threaten termination for simple infractions little training company changes multiple things without notification to agents customers will know the information ahead of employees poor communication with upper management to sales if you say anything (I do mean literally anything) negative about the company you will be disciplined

Advice to Management

Experience is only helpful if you can share it with others employees working for the company should have more information than a stranger on the street feedback isn't always positive that doesn't mean it's not helpful

Showing 36 of 5,116 reviews