Marriott International Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Marriott International President & CEO Arne Sorenson
Arne Sorenson

Pros
Cons
  • There is no culture around work/life balance (in 150 reviews)

• long hours sometimes but that's to be expected at any hotel (in 202 reviews)

1. "Auditor"

Current Employee - Night Auditor in Little Rock, AR
    Current Employee - Night Auditor in Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Marriott International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Meet people from different walks of life. Great co workers.

Cons

Low pay. Does not promote. Hard to get raises and job performance is hardly ever done. low budget for management.

Advice to Management

Know your hard workers

2. "Tustin location only"

Current Employee - Engineering/Housekeeping in Tustin, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering/Housekeeping in Tustin, CA

I have been working at Marriott International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, discount on rooms. So on

Cons

The way some properties are managed. Stay away from residence inn/ Fairfield inn Tustin.

Advice to Management

Pay more. The pay is absurd for what we have to deal with. Hotels are sold out all the time. And maybe you'll keep your staff.

3. "DO NOT WORK HERE (UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE MISERABLE)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bethesda, MD

I have been working at Marriott International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

At least it pays well? golden handcuffs?

Cons

Very unhealthy corporate atmosphere. Extremely overworked. No work-life balance.

Advice to Management

give your employees the help that they need to do their jobs well, and maintain sanity.

5. "Corrupt, abusive, harassing, discriminatory, patronage oriented New York Marquis Loss Prevention Department"

Current Employee - Loss Prevention Officer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention Officer in New York, NY

I have been working at Marriott International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The pay and because of that people are doormats. If you are a slave to money then this is for you. Management likes weak uneducated people who need a check and "lay down."

Cons

Horrible New York Marquis Loss Prevention Management team. They play bias favorites. Everything is about favors and who know who. So don't bother applying because they always gonna hook up some buddy who is a cop or friend with this job. There is no equal opportunity. They post and waste your time interviewing when they always give the job to somebody waiting as a favor. If you do get the job be careful, keep a daily diary of what happens to you. Management believes in favoritism, nepotism, harassment, discrimination, petty games, targeting, fraternization and the list goes on. And don't expect HR to do anything for you. They know nothing. You probably know more about human resources then they do. Don't expect corporate to help you either. They only respect a law suit. Trust, they have many of those on New York State Courts public record.

Advice to Management

Stop your nonsense at the NYMM Loss Prevention Department.

6. "Dissapointed"

Current Employee - Server in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Server in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Marriott International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The employee cafeteria, and a beautiful place to work. if that's important

Cons

Zero to minimal training. Extremely high expectations of a new employee...very little support. I'm severely dissapointed with this company...it could be so much better. Lacking in everything service wise.

Advice to Management

Be pro active with your employees and work with them.. ***Pay attention to what is going on here. Get rid of the dead weight.

"What's the point"

Current Employee - Front Office Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Front Office Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Marriott International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sometimes you meet nice people. Sometimes you get lucky and have great coworkers. Schedule can work with college classes if you're not overworked.

Cons

Really what's the point of an employee discount if 1. You never get to use it and 2. 99% of hotels don't honor it. It's disgusting how employees are shoved aside and not offered their hard earned discounts because each individual hotel doesn't want to honor the lower rate. I deal with feces, urine, blood, and puse on top of bad attitudes, for what? Barely a paycheck?

Advice to Management

Most hotels are understaffed.

Need to enforce a minimum amount of rooms available online to associates.

8. "Completely Unprofessional and Disrespectful"

Current Employee - Banquets Red Coat in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Banquets Red Coat in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Marriott International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, great employee discounts, free meals in the Banquets department

Cons

Let me start by saying I was very optimistic coming into this position. The Marriott seemed like a great company to work for and that they really cared about the individual. I am now a firm believer that there is no such culture or belief system at a corporate business in general, unless you're lucky enough to work for Google.

During my interview process, I was very transparent about being a college student and that I would be in school full time, but also very well capable of working a full-time position as well and there would be restrictions in my schedule because of my classes. I made this known to the HR girl, my direct supervisor, and HER direct supervisor during my interview because I know companies can be wary of hiring college students and didn't want to waste anyone's time. I repeated this several times because I've experienced that there is definitely a prejudice against college students in the work place (as in no one wants to hire them unless it's part-time) and have had companies go through the motions during the interview only to find out they don't want to work around a college schedule. I said that exact sentence to my manager during my interview. So with that being said, everyone seemed very accepting of my schedule. Then I not only gave my exact availability to the HR supervisor, but my manager as well on my FIRST DAY. That part is important, because after a full week of working for them, I receive a call from HR saying management does not want to move forward with my employment because of my availability restraints, A FULL WEEK LATER. The availability that I told three different people on two different occasions. And if that wasn't enough, I was informed that I would not be reimbursed for the $100 uniform I bought specifically for this job even though i was told if I gave management my receipt they would refund me. So I literally lost money working for these people. I've now turned down 6 other jobs for this one, I'm in a new city with no employment or means of money, I may lose my chance for in-state tuition (anyone who's been to an out-of-state university knows what a big deal this is), and my fiance and I have to hope that we can live off his med school loans all because management couldn't communicate earlier that my availability wasn't okay for them. I've never experienced such unprofessionalism, lack of accountability, or lack of respect for other's time than I have with this company, which is surprising considering their size.

Advice to Management

My advice to management? Learn how to communicate and be responsible human beings; it is a key skill in the business world, in a relationship, as an adult, heck even as a human. Understand that people aren't just employees, they are people- with lives, bills, and responsibilities that depend on you as the employers. So if you aren't okay with all aspects of hiring someone, don't hire them. And certainly don't tell them a week into work that their schedule doesn't work for you.

9. "Do not reccomend"

Current Employee - Marriot Rewards Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Marriot Rewards Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Marriott International (Less than a year)

Pros

Ive made some good friends there.

Cons

They are one of the lowest paying call centers. The systems are consantly crashing, management and team leads treat you aweful.

Advice to Management

Raise pay and treat people with respect.

"Housekeeper"

Current Employee - Housekeeper in Newark, NJ
    Current Employee - Housekeeper in Newark, NJ

I have been working at Marriott International full-time

Pros

Located at newark airport. Free lunch and drinks on your shift. Free locker use and uniform. Some help from other housekeepers when you need them.

Cons

Guest and management treat you badly. Management is manipulative and makes employees fight each other for hours. Sexual harassment at an all time high especially from management. High turn over especially with housekeepers. Low employee moral. No employee union. Alot of managment cover ups. Charity is just a company scam to get more money from employees. Full time housekeepers are taken off of the schedule without notice and no guarantees you will be put on the schedule again or when.

"Laundry"

Current Employee - Housekeeping Laundry in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Housekeeping Laundry in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Marriott International full-time

Pros

It is a job. But, that is all.

Cons

Do not get Sundays off. Have to pick up slack that the first shift doesn't do. they take advantage of you. If you work the 200 til 10:30 job. Management constantly yelling at you when you can't get work done. Especially, when the early shift don't bring linen down. No equipment available to do your job right . No up to date equipment. Take advantage of you if you work later shift and have a disability

Advice to Management

Start doing your job. Pitch in more. Get updated work supplies.

Showing 109 of 4,239 reviews