Marriott International Reviews | Glassdoor

Marriott International President & CEO Arne Sorenson
Arne Sorenson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • So their work / life balance always suffers (not a manager but this makes me not want to become one) (in 170 reviews)

• Sometimes long hours but I love working there (in 226 reviews)

1. "Chief Engineer"

Former Employee - Chief Engineer in Livonia, MI
    Former Employee - Chief Engineer in Livonia, MI

I worked at Marriott International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits with heavy discounts on rooms

Cons

Low pay. Little to no support from management. Extremely high turnover. Very limited opportunities to advance without transferring or leaving.

Advice to Management

They need to hire better General Managers and quit providing them bonuses for exploiting their dedicated workforce

2. "Not as good as promised"

Current Employee - Front Desk Associate
    Current Employee - Front Desk Associate

I have been working at Marriott International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The hotel discounts, the benefit and opportunity for growth is plenty! If you perform right some one will notice and get you the promotion you can want

Cons

Jw Marriott in atlanta is managed poorly, the front desk is not up to standard! Just because of 1 Bad supervisor that made the place incompetent and unpleasant to work at! Not consistent, favorite guests get the moon and the sun and majority guests get close to nothing cause favoritism is big here!

Advice to Management

The supervisors and managers at the front desk needs a lot more training at handling associates! The management says ' happy associates happy guests' but definitely not true at this property cause all they care about is the money that comes in! Should be improved

3. "Houseman"

Current Employee - HOUSEMAN in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - HOUSEMAN in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Marriott International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits that’s probably about it!

Cons

Pay is 8.80 not worth the job!

Advice to Management

No Leadership! Not professional at all!

4. "Leadership"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Marriott International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You meet many people from all over the US. That makes it a great place to work.

Cons

No real feel of that you are part of a team/company. No solid work ethics are in place or at work.

Advice to Management

Try to treat the guest and employees like they are real people and that you love what you do, which is suppose to be to serve.

5. "Horrible Place to Work, Stay Away!"

Current Employee - HOUSEMAN in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - HOUSEMAN in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Marriott International part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lunch is $1 at the cafeteria.

Cons

No HR onsite. Deal with sexual harassment, nepotism, poor working conditions. Lack of employee concern, more concerned with customer ratings. Open door policy causes retaliation against employees. Impossible to use employee benefits for stays at other hotels. No cross training or moving up in company for working hard, only favorite employees. Unprofessional.

Advice to Management

Actually care about your employees.

6. "Heckin sucks"

Former Employee - Regional Sales Representative in Hollywood Park, Bexar, TX
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Representative in Hollywood Park, Bexar, TX

I worked at Marriott International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

had lots of snacks available

Cons

super strict on attendance and sales quotas

Advice to Management

treat humans like humans. "fabulously human"? yeah right.

7. "Doesn't like training or giving people chances"

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in Chicago, IL

I worked at Marriott International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have no pros for this company!

Cons

This company is a disgrace to any workplace.. they deny everyone who applies to them who don't have the direct experience with the job that they are applying for. Marriott you do understand that people get into positions in the first place with someone believing and training a person to do the job correctly. If you don't have an extensive resume they deny you through email don't even give you the chance to interview. My friend had front Desk on his background & they hired him. I feel that's not fair because everyone has to start somewhere. I'll make sure none of my friends never stay at a Marriott owned hotel & I never will as well.

Advice to Management

Give people a chance who don't have experience in the field that they are applying for. All these jobs the same mostly anyway customer service related being polite to people.. it doesn't take a rocket scientist to learn how to do front Desk or any other job within the hotels aspects. It S degrading and mean when you apply for 10 jobs with Marriott & get denied my email for every last one because I don't have front Desk experience on my resume even tho I've worked at a hotel before they don't care. I really dislike this company ways and hiring practices.

"Unprofessional Executive Leadership"

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Marriott International full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The "pro" or positive thing is that while some departments have an unprofessional leader (SVP, Global President, etc) other departments (not many) have inspiring leaders.

Cons

50 plus crowd, the Marriott "legacy" associates, verbally discriminate against those they perceive as a "milennial". They are steadfast in refusing to use new software, telecommute, or work collaberatively. The Starwood integration has created an attitude where the senior Marriott associates are bitter & jealous in their desire to "show them" them Marriott way. The week before the Associate Engagement Survey the executive leadership team buys lunch for their department & talk up the need to complete the survey positively. They are actually bonused if they have 100% participation with favorable ratings.
    I currently work at HQ & dread everyday. Suggestions to update processes are dismissed as the legacy associates see the writing on the wall that their position is redundant & refuse to change. I'm looking for a new job & so are most people I know. Current vacancies are often ghost positions created for current associates to "rebadge" for their own job. An advantage outsiders have is that Aon Hewitt is paid more to fill a position with an external candidate.
    All interviews are STAR interviews. Have 5 story answers ready for your interview & talk slowly as hiring managers must document your responses. Help them (us) out & understand that we (the hiring manager) desires to ask relevant questions but we are bound to an internal process of submitting the candidates STAR responses.

Advice to Management

Let go of your ego. If the investors who take the financial burdon to open a Marriott franchise knew how poorly you make decisions based on emotion & not sound metrics you would loose backing for new builds.

"What do I say?"

Former Employee - Housekeeper in New Braunfels, TX
    Former Employee - Housekeeper in New Braunfels, TX

I worked at Marriott International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nice hotel and rooms.

Cons

Housekeepers do not work there longer. Employees only stay one week or lesser during summer. It makes other housekeepers work harder and clean more rooms which is not possible. Pay is very less around $8.5 per hour.

Advice to Management

Don't make other housekeepers work harder just because the coworkers quit their job.

10. "Nightmare"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Melbourne, FL

I worked at Marriott International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Health insurance. And you'll use it a lot because they work you like a horse.

Cons

I hate working there. The supervisor was the meanest person on earth.

Advice to Management

Lame

Showing 294 of 4,750 reviews