Marriott International Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Marriott International President & CEO Arne Sorenson
Arne Sorenson

Pros
Cons
  • So their work / life balance always suffers (not a manager but this makes me not want to become one) (in 152 reviews)

• long hours sometimes but that's to be expected at any hotel (in 208 reviews)

"Marriot, where individuals are trained to lose their identity."

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Costa Mesa, CA

Pros

Marriott offered employees incredible lucrative perks, in terms of discounted hotels, or in some cases free nights. Additionally, fellow employees were of the same cloth so to speak, understanding the goal and working together to accomplish it.

Cons

Salary was very low. Marriott prefers individuals without a degree to maintain low salaries. Individuals with a background in the armed forces do very well, the ability to not question decsions and just say "yes" is highly sought after. In terms of individuals who advance at Marriott, are individuals who have a track record of "not" asking questions, and doing exactly what they are told.

Advice to Management

Look to employees who offer more than just a voice on the phone, or a person in a uniform. Obviously, yes you do deal almost entirely in hospitality, but a good smile will only you allow you so much. Individuals with an education a smile will allow for continued growth.

"A Horirible Experience at Marriott Tax Department!"

Former Employee - Tax Manager in Bethesda, MD
    Former Employee - Tax Manager in Bethesda, MD

Pros

Maybe for resume reason, it is a big company

Cons

I was with its tax department. Whether it is within the department or company-wide, it is a very red-taped place. The management at the tax department is not flexible and does not help employees with work-life balance. The company's hierachy structure is stiff with many layers. Management style is like in the military - harsh, inflexible, with no respect for individuality. In addition, micromanagement prevails, and most people have no automation to do their work. Employee turnover in the tax department is frequent and most people feel very stressed working there! Just like in a pressure cooker!

Another terrible thing is that they have too many unneccessary meetings which make employees end up working late because they must put in more time to do the actual work after the meetings.

The benefits are not as good as you can expect from a big company like Marriott. Share of the costs of health insurance, dental insurance, disability insurances are higher than at most places. Employees must pay for their own disability insurances 100%. Marriott does not even allow new employees to contribute to 401K for a year! Imagine how it could mess up the financial life for new employees with that policy!

Just a horrible experience!

Advice to Management

Be more flexible and understanding. Employees try to do good job but won't if they can't balance their work schedule with life / health /family obligations!

Do not micromanage people!

Offer better benefit package!

"Pass over this one, and move on to the next hotel"

Former Employee - SPA Receptionist in Savannah, GA
    Former Employee - SPA Receptionist in Savannah, GA

Pros

They are a marquee name in the hospitality industry. I am really not sure if my experience is universal or localized at the Savannah Riverfront Marriott.

Cons

I worked in the newly opened Spa and it was a complete fiasco. Two years later and I'm still a bit disturbed by it. Direct Management was hired as a favor to one of the senior managers' sisters (aka nepotism). This was a fact, not idle gossip. Mismanagement at every step, including overzealous training methods, underutilization of employee's time, misrepresentation of promotion opportunities, etc. Extremely questionable hiring practice, at one point, it felt that they hired everyone who answered the ad and eventually let go over 60% of their hires within 2 weeks. No policies, no written rules, the management would arbitrarily make them up and then change them as she deemed. For example, she canceled Friends and Family day for the spa employees without previous notice or announcement, but allowed her own guests to come in free of charge. I was working that day, trust me, the back of the house was furious and complaining to me all day long, but what could I do? She was never available to help with transactions or other issues. Most importantly, the management had told all the employees that they would be earning higher wages than they actually would receive at paperwork time. In other words, they told us one thing and then gave us something else. The old bait and switch. I was hired as a receptionist, not a martyr. I finally quit after 2 months.

Advice to Management

Not sure if they worked it out or not, but they really should of hired someone who had experience running a professional salon, rather than hired an unqualified friend of a friend. Written rules and consultants would have been helpful, as well as consistent feedback about performance and promotion opportunties.

"Once great company................to review on glassdoor"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Plymouth Meeting, PA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Plymouth Meeting, PA

Pros

I would say only the name because it is well know and looks great on a resume. My old job took me back in a minute and I received a lot of offers eventhough I did not work there as long as I would have liked to.

Cons

It used to be a family run company but it has sinced changed which is a shame. They really need to value their employees and honor a work, life, balance. I think mandating a 50 hr work week to management, yes will be great to the company but poor for your personal life. Honestly the pay needed to be compensated with the cost of living. It is very hard to work the hours required, have a life and be ok financially.

Advice to Management

I would say and again I have been gone for two years but - keep an eye on your leadership in the Sales Department. I had unfortunalety witnessed some unethical practices from the sales specialist/director of sales at the time. I am sure that if it was brought up to upper managements attentions they would be astonished because they were not aware it was going on. I would say that they should keep an eye on who they are promoting. I know the woman in sales at that time kept getting promoting despite the hotel's moral continously dropping. I didn't believe that when I walked in to work for a prestigious company, the woman who was leading at the time should have continued to be promoted when the rest of the hotel and the staff was falling apart. It seemed as if it was a game of elimination rather than a promotion that was deserving. I heard there were 5 sales managers before me that had left under the same person's leadership. I still keep in connection with a few people and found out that her again sales team has since changed?????? Somebody really needs to take a look at that because when people leave...communication is lost and the company does not know what is really going on.

"Marriott promotes low morale amongst their employees"

Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Norfolk, VA
    Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Norfolk, VA

Pros

They do not require you to purchase an uniform.

Cons

Extremely low pay. The Front Desk position is one where you are constantly dealing with guests, often irate guests who expect you to do everything you can to satisfy them. The management is constantly pushing you to extend yourself and go "all out" for customers but they give you 0 communication between your other departments and you're often left stranded and wondering what you're doing or having to leave guests dissatisfied because someone else in a different department isn't doing their job. Currently, the Front Desk Manager makes $26 whereas the Front Desk Associates that work harder, are on their feet longer, and have more interaction with guests only make $8 an hour- there is not fair compensation amongst employees. Front Desk Associates truly overexert themselves with a job that is physically, emotionally, and mentally taxing.

You're on your feet for 8 hours a day which is extremely hard on your feet, joints, and knees and have to provide expensive orthopedic shoes for yourself if you're able to afford them in order to be able to sustain your shift. Working the front desk breaks are NOT guaranteed, especially if it's just you, there will be days where you never have a break and many days where you are not able to eat.

At the Norfolk, Marriott you have to pay between $65 and a $125 per month for parking if you wish to work there.

Advice to Management

Free parking spaces to associates. Better communication between departments. A $1 increase for hourly paid associates!

"Mediocre"

Former Employee - Supervisor in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Miami, FL

Pros

Benefits package, such as Medical, and 401K

Cons

The treatment is very poor, if you complaint of it to human resources,at the end, they won't support the
    associate. They have a provision in their severance package guidelines, in which they can Laid you off during a sick leave of absence,and just for being sick, and unable to return to work at the end of the leave, they can and will no pay any severance at all.

Advice to Management

Be aware of how your department manager is really treating their associates, but being more accessible and inquiring directly with the associates.

"stay away"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Tukwila, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Tukwila, WA

Pros

Hotel discounts and good customers

Cons

everything, manaement, back stabing, bad chemistry

Advice to Management

"Micro managed company, and extreamly over managed. Filled with people who did not get there positions by merrrit."

Current Employee - Bartender in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Bartender in Princeton, NJ

Pros

They have not yet canceled the 401-K match. They have dropped the minimum amount of hours to hold your benefits for the remainder of the year. WE can have benefits no matter how little we work due to the economy. Big thumbs up here!!!

Cons

You are worked like slaves there, we work much harder and are treated worse, and often talked down too. You have to sign a procedure for everything (mico-managed) I doubt if Nasa has this kind of treatment. Cought managers lying and stealing money (that was to be given to the employees as a bonus) many times. Our bonuses given by a client for the extra that we do. Cash is given to a managager in an envelope for us, but we never see it.

Advice to Management

Please leave and let any of the previous four hotel management company's take back over. Business was stronger, the work was easier and we ALL made more money!! Sorry you are nice people at times, however you need much more training skills and personallity to be a leader!! Not the "my way or the highway" poor managment statement all the time.

"no benefits poor pay"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lithonia, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lithonia, GA

Pros

wonderful environment to work in

Cons

8.00 per hour and no benefits c'mon

Advice to Management

step it up

"dont work here"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

Pros

room discount is nice to use.

Cons

you will regret working here if you are in the least bit interested in hospitality

Advice to Management

every year, they ask for feedback on how to make this place better, they never do anything about it.

Showing 269 of 4,415 reviews