Marriott International Reviews | Glassdoor

Marriott International Reviews

Updated May 20, 2017

Pros
Cons
  • There is no culture around work/life balance (in 150 reviews)

• long hours sometimes but that's to be expected at any hotel (in 205 reviews)

1. "Could be better"

Former Employee - Attendant in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Attendant in Oakland, CA

I worked at Marriott International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

if you need a part time job go for it

Cons

terrible pay and the hours weren't worth it

2. "Front Desk Supervisor"

Former Employee - Front Office Supervisor in Barboursville, VA
    Former Employee - Front Office Supervisor in Barboursville, VA

I worked at Marriott International (More than a year)

Pros

You get to meet Great People

Cons

Disappointed in Management,Self Centered

Advice to Management

Need to Re Group

"poverty level pay"

Former Employee - Reservations Call Center in Solon, OH
    Former Employee - Reservations Call Center in Solon, OH

I worked at Marriott International (More than a year)

Pros

flexible schedules. health benefits. hotel perks but you won't earn enough to use them.

Cons

one call after another without a chance to catch your breath and regroup. Even if you are doing well, they will criticize you when monitoring calls. You will work hard for very little pay.

Advice to Management

raise the pay scale.

5. "Too much politics, it's who likes you that will get you ahead"

Former Employee - Front Desk Supervisor in Coral Springs, FL
    Former Employee - Front Desk Supervisor in Coral Springs, FL

I worked at Marriott International (More than a year)

Pros

If i find a pros I will let you know .no pros.

Cons

Politics, too many gossip, from the top to the bottom it's rotten

Advice to Management

Stop complaining and do the work. Lead by example, not do as I say and not as I do

"What's the point"

Current Employee - Front Office Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Front Office Manager in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Marriott International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Sometimes you meet nice people. Sometimes you get lucky and have great coworkers. Schedule can work with college classes if you're not overworked.

Cons

Really what's the point of an employee discount if 1. You never get to use it and 2. 99% of hotels don't honor it. It's disgusting how employees are shoved aside and not offered their hard earned discounts because each individual hotel doesn't want to honor the lower rate. I deal with feces, urine, blood, and puse on top of bad attitudes, for what? Barely a paycheck?

Advice to Management

Most hotels are understaffed.

Need to enforce a minimum amount of rooms available online to associates.

7. "Immoral management"

Former Employee - Lead Cook in Bloomington, MN
    Former Employee - Lead Cook in Bloomington, MN

I worked at Marriott International full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits, insurance, career options

Cons

Management consistantly forces employees to make immoral decisions-in the kitchen. Gaslighting. Gossip. Unproffessional behavior from those in higher positions. Hypocritical attitude to following basic marriott employee handbook procedures. Management is lacking experience opening a brand new hotel. I worked at the jwmarriott mall of America.

Advice to Management

Keep everyone to the same standards-even your higher managers! Keep it proffessional- leave personal life separate from work.Dont hire a chef that purposefully intimidates employees from going to human resources. Actually get supplies that employees need.

8. "Completely Unprofessional and Disrespectful"

Current Employee - Banquets Red Coat in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Banquets Red Coat in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Marriott International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, great employee discounts, free meals in the Banquets department

Cons

Let me start by saying I was very optimistic coming into this position. The Marriott seemed like a great company to work for and that they really cared about the individual. I am now a firm believer that there is no such culture or belief system at a corporate business in general, unless you're lucky enough to work for Google.

During my interview process, I was very transparent about being a college student and that I would be in school full time, but also very well capable of working a full-time position as well and there would be restrictions in my schedule because of my classes. I made this known to the HR girl, my direct supervisor, and HER direct supervisor during my interview because I know companies can be wary of hiring college students and didn't want to waste anyone's time. I repeated this several times because I've experienced that there is definitely a prejudice against college students in the work place (as in no one wants to hire them unless it's part-time) and have had companies go through the motions during the interview only to find out they don't want to work around a college schedule. I said that exact sentence to my manager during my interview. So with that being said, everyone seemed very accepting of my schedule. Then I not only gave my exact availability to the HR supervisor, but my manager as well on my FIRST DAY. That part is important, because after a full week of working for them, I receive a call from HR saying management does not want to move forward with my employment because of my availability restraints, A FULL WEEK LATER. The availability that I told three different people on two different occasions. And if that wasn't enough, I was informed that I would not be reimbursed for the $100 uniform I bought specifically for this job even though i was told if I gave management my receipt they would refund me. So I literally lost money working for these people. I've now turned down 6 other jobs for this one, I'm in a new city with no employment or means of money, I may lose my chance for in-state tuition (anyone who's been to an out-of-state university knows what a big deal this is), and my fiance and I have to hope that we can live off his med school loans all because management couldn't communicate earlier that my availability wasn't okay for them. I've never experienced such unprofessionalism, lack of accountability, or lack of respect for other's time than I have with this company, which is surprising considering their size.

Advice to Management

My advice to management? Learn how to communicate and be responsible human beings; it is a key skill in the business world, in a relationship, as an adult, heck even as a human. Understand that people aren't just employees, they are people- with lives, bills, and responsibilities that depend on you as the employers. So if you aren't okay with all aspects of hiring someone, don't hire them. And certainly don't tell them a week into work that their schedule doesn't work for you.

9. "Do not reccomend"

Current Employee - Marriot Rewards Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Marriot Rewards Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Marriott International (Less than a year)

Pros

Ive made some good friends there.

Cons

They are one of the lowest paying call centers. The systems are consantly crashing, management and team leads treat you aweful.

Advice to Management

Raise pay and treat people with respect.

10. "Stay away"

Former Employee - Front Desk in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Front Desk in Clearwater, FL

I worked at Marriott International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some good people to work with

Cons

Management will screw you every chance they get

Advice to Management

Get someone new

"Housekeeping"

Former Employee - Housekeeper in Jackson, MS
    Former Employee - Housekeeper in Jackson, MS

I worked at Marriott International part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Worse place to stay in

Cons

It wasn't a good place to work

Advice to Management

Fix it up and give the housekeepers more days and hours

Showing 263 of 4,306 reviews